Clayton Rivet death and Questions Swirl around SIU investigation. | Page 17 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Clayton Rivet death and Questions Swirl around SIU investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Claton Rivert death and Questions Swirl around SIU investigation.

Last I read the argument was that there was not a 150m sight line. Turns out there is a 550m sight line. So you have effectively eliminated the distance aspect of making an illegal U-turn. I guess your argument is now that the cop took too long to make the U-turn? Let say that the cop looked and saw a head light 500m+ away in the distance. Lets say he was not expecting the vehicle to be travelling at 150kph. So he figures he has plenty of time to make his U-turn. In the world where the rider was dong 80kph he cop would have had around 24 seconds to make the maneuver. In actuality he had 12 seconds or so. He is hit part way through the U-turn. Is this not possible? Is this in any way the cops fault? I just can't see it.

From the image I roughly sketched and posted with my trusty blue inked pen in the post above; feel free to comment, challenge, and question my thought process. Don't worry about my feelings, I have my tinfoil hat securely in place and I trust it will protect me from emotional duress.

Please do feel free to go the the area yourself and make your own conclusions.

-Sightline from top of hill to point of impact is approx 550 Meters. At 150km/hr this would allow about 12 seconds of visibility to the point of impact. I'd say it would be difficult to explain how the car did not see a headlight in the dark at that distance.

-Sightline looking West from top of hill is approx 825Meters. I believe it would be completely obsurd for the car to say that they didn't see a headlight behind them before even cresting the hill.

-The car had a minum of 12 seconds to see the motorcycle's headlight behind them(should they have cared to check) before impact.

-12 seconds is more than enough time to make whatever turning manouvere they attempting to accomplish.

- If construction barriers were obstructing view as an excuse, than clearly it was a less than appropriate place for a UTurn or whatever manouver they were attempting that would block the roadway.

-This diagram was shown to an OPP officer tonight, this may not count for much, but his opinion was that the car likely observed the bike travelling at high rate of speed behind him approaching the top of the hill, then the car exited the roadway and re-entered after the concrete barrier in an attempt to stop the motorcycle.

Last I read the argument was that there was not a 150m sight line. Turns out there is a 550m sight line. So you have effectively eliminated the distance aspect of making an illegal U-turn. I guess your argument is now that the cop took too long to make the U-turn? Let say that the cop looked and saw a head light 500m+ away in the distance. Lets say he was not expecting the vehicle to be travelling at 150kph. So he figures he has plenty of time to make his U-turn. In the world where the rider was dong 80kph he cop would have had around 24 seconds to make the maneuver. In actuality he had 12 seconds or so. He is hit part way through the U-turn. Is this not possible? Is this in any way the cops fault? I just can't see it.

Thanks for this. I appreciate you looking at this in more depth. I hope that more will respond with posiblbe ways that they believe the officer was not at fault. Giver lads, I would really like to hear from you all. I am very interested in hearing everybody's thoughts on this.

Yes there was plenty of talk about 150meters. I only mentioned that number as part of the requirement of a legal UTurn. People then started working the math off of that.

The 500meter sightline would only have applied to both vehicles if the officer was not behind the wall at the time.

So let's say both vehicles could have seen each other for 500meters, that would still leave 12 seconds from sighting to impact.

If the officer's movements would of had him blocking the road for 24 seconds, that is incredibly way too much time. I've got to guess that there would be some HTA violation in this case.

Clay would have also been driving towards this vehicle for quite some time. Can't speak to his actions other than speeding at the time, but it would be unreasonable to assume that he saw the car, rode towards it at high rate of speed for 12 seconds or so, than applied the brake(s) to leave a skid mark right before impact.

Now if the officer made his turning efforts in the coned off area( reduced visibility), and re-entered the road from behind the barrier, that would make a little more sense to me, especially with the skid mark just prior to impact.

The situation you describe is completely a possibility, but if the officer spent that much time blocking the road, he would have to also be at fault, not just the excessively speeding/stunt driving rider.

Please keep this up, from the very beginning I have been asking for possible situations where the officer was not at fault.

You've been given it. You just don't want to accept it.

Please in the future....stop reffering to me and others as"Internet CSI's". "Internet IDENT" would be more appropriate considering my experience with legal investigations in Ontario.
Hey mate, been following this discussion for a while. Its amazing how ******* condensing those posts are - almost always wants to Have the last say.
An Ex cop who had nothing better to do.. Retired Or running a ticket fighting company now? I dunno But for Some reason seems..to keep pushing on this.

I know you've just been asking the questions so to understand what happened there. You're looking for the truth. Not enough people question things , but take in what's spoon fed to them. Most of us Become like sheep. I believe its good that you have asked these questions.

Nothing now Will bring Clayton back unfortunately. I can tell You though that this incident has affected many people in many ways.

Last edited:
"A civilian witness’ evidence gives us some sense of this possibility when she recounts that the motorcycle could not be seen in her rear view mirror when she checked it 30 seconds before it passed her at high speed without any warning."

This is some ground braking news, if you don't look in your mirror for 30 seconds you might not have seen what was there. And these are the people investigating? Jesus christ...

Its amazing how far the cops will go when they try to justify something
30 seconds is a long ******* time. I know in some places you will loose points in a drivers test for not checking mirrors every 10 seconds..

Last edited:

Hey mate, been following this discussion for a while. Its amazing how ****ing condensing those posts are - almost always wants to Have the last say.
An Ex cop who had nothing better to do.. Retired Or running a ticket fighting company now? I dunno But for Some reason seems..to keep pushing on this.

I know you've just been asking the questions so to understand what happened there. You're looking for the truth.

Nothing now Will bring Clayton back unfortunately. I can tell You though that this incident had affected many people in many ways.

Its all good bud. I got me some thick skin.

Listen folks a bit off topic here but what I am about to say is with no exaggeration

Some one i know very well. A FRIEND, Who is maybe the most stupid and naive person I know in my life just got hired as a police officer. With enough talk you can make this person believe the earth is flat.

We assume the hiring was Based purely on the fact they were a minority as the person also has very minimal physical stature.

My point?

There are REAR REAL REAL. Dumb cops out there.. Nothing should surprise us

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"
Figured this out a long time ago after arriving in this province.

Ok Casacrow, so given that you have now proclaimed yourself a self appointed investigator... Quote from your post # 267 in this thread "considering my experience with legal investigations in Ontario."

Please enlighten us as to WHAT investigations you have personally done and what "organization" employs you. This way we can look at these investigations and "pick them apart without the benefit of approx 90% of the evidence you "may" have had available to you, just as you have done with the SIU investigation. I am also sure any defence or other attorneys would be interested in seeing how you conduct an investigation. (you can PM me this info rather than post it on the forum). You approached this "investigation" with a predetermined outcome, (that the cop IS guilty and you are going to stop at nothing to prove your point, you also stated that your mind will not be changed from this position).

I offered you a VIABLE alternative... Go to a JP and lay a private complaint against the officer charging him with the appropriate charges, using the "evidence" you have gathered. You won't because you KNOW that you would be laughed right out of the building. For a "supposed" investigator to draw ANY conclusion without the benefit of ALL the evidence is VERY VERY unprofessional, not to mention dangerous.

Now you asked if I still felt my statements and the statements of others, (beginning on page 14 of this thread), did you not even notice MOST of those statements were made within days of the collision? That we had NO information supplied by an outside INVESTIGATIVE agency. I also posted several times that we should wait until the investigation was completed. Of course "some" of us don't have the ability to determine EXACTLY what happened without at least looking at the evidence, as you do...

No you are not an Internet IDENT, You are TRYING to be an internet CSI Crime Scene Investigator. IF you were a true "investigator" you would know that the task of an "IDENT" person is simply to bag and tag, evidence, (including fingerprints, photos, measurements etc, at the scene. They don't "do" the actual investigation... This shows you COMPLETE lack of knowledge and expertise in these matters and actual POLICE procedure and protocols.

Now, Let's for just ONE SECOND assume your "measurements", (made with a car odometer as opposed to the accident reconstruction team who used "calibrated and certified" measuring devices), were accurate. You ask why an officer didn't see a SINGLE headlight traveling at him at a rate of speed TWICE the legal limit. Now turn the tables for a second and explain to us mere mortals, HOW did Clayton not see a full sized sedan with TWO headlights, (which at night would have cast light in the general area of the cruiser), as well as TWO tail lights? Again it is LOGICAL to assume one riding a motorcycle, (remember his friend DVSbullet initially stated he was a safe responsible rider who didn't ride beyond his capabilities), so he should have seen this vehicle and slowed.

Now you said that the line of sight gave Clayton 550 meters and 12 seconds to see the cruiser. (even at 150 km/h). So this rider who according to those who knew him and was a "safe a responsible rider who didn't ride beyond his abilities", surely he should have been able to bring a SS bike to a safe and controlled stop WELL within those time and distance constraints. You say the 825 meters, line of sight to the West meant the officer "should have seen the bike behind him" Well this would also mean that Clayton should have seen the much larger vehicle with TWO taillights in that same distance.

However, I thank you for the measurements as it only strengthens the argument AGAINST a charge of illegal U turn as the HTA section states the driver must have 150m of vision you clearly have demonstrated that the officer had a full 550 meters therefore his u turn was NOT illegal as per the current legislation, (which you may disagree with, BUT until it is re written it stands).

So for those of us who aren't nearly as experienced investigators as you, (BTW I have investigated approx 2500 collisions including SEVERAL fatalities, involving all types of vehicles from bicycles all the way to fully loaded rigs), how it is that the officer "should" have made all the above observations yet Clayton made NONE of them? So your point is that the officer must be super human in that he can see all and that the rider had the ability, (his viewing position "should" have been better as his view was straight ahead as opposed to the officers being via rear view mirrors), to see NONE of this? Your conclusion my friend is terribly flawed.

If as your above statement indicates, "we would all shoot for safety" then rather than "try" to avoid a collision by swerving around a vehicle, (which according to you, was blocking the entire available road surface), and accounting for YOUR figures that the rider had 550 meters and 12 seconds to stop would THAT have not been the "safe" thing to do???

Several times in this thread you have condemned the SIU investigators asking how they could have "known the officers intent" as well as other findings. Then YOU "claim" to know what Clayton's intent was, (that he was on the wrong side of the road to avoid a collision). Nicely done, again, you have CLEARLY demonstrated that we should ALL be glad your not sent to investigate ANY collision anyone is involved in.

Several pages ago you asked me to provide "my motive", (which i did, saying that it was to disprove many inaccuracies and that many members had initially, (without benefit of an investigation), made inaccurate and inflammatory posts towards the guilt of the officer.

So please enlighten us as to YOUR motives, in a attempt to dispute the findings of EXPERTS with the benefit of ALL the evidence?

Last edited:

Yes, I do stand behind that statement, because that is the current legislation and also the FDR of insurers. By stunt driving the rider would be assessed 100% at fault.

As Rob has said you have been given SEVERAL examples of why the rider was responsible by various members here, as well as by the investigators, (who unlike you had access to ALL the evidence). You merely refuse to accept this, and that is your right.

Do you believe as your previous posts would imply, that only one party may bare full responsibilty for the collision? If so, I completely understand why you are no longer involved in law enforcement...

My question after reading this 12seconds of view.
If the officer could see the bike for 12 seconds, why didn't the rider slow down from double the limit?
Most people when they see the police in front of them, they slow down when speeding.....

2228565]Ok Casacrow, so given that you have now proclaimed yourself a self appointed investigator... Quote from your post # 267 in this thread "considering my experience with legal investigations in Ontario

Please enlighten us as to WHAT investigations you have personally done and what "organization" employs you. This way we can look at these investigations and "pick them apart without the benefit of approx 90% of the evidence you "may" have had available to you, just as you have done with the SIU investigation. I am also sure any defence or other attorneys would be interested in seeing how you conduct an investigation. (you can PM me this info rather than post it on the forum). You approached this "investigation" with a predetermined outcome, (that the cop IS guilty and you are going to stop at nothing to prove your point, you also stated that your mind will not be changed from this position).

I offered you a VIABLE alternative... Go to a JP and lay a private complaint against the officer charging him with the appropriate charges, using the "evidence" you have gathered. You won't because you KNOW that you would be laughed right out of the building. For a "supposed" investigator to draw ANY conclusion without the benefit of ALL the evidence is VERY VERY unprofessional, not to mention dangerous.

Now you asked if I still felt my statements and the statements of others, (beginning on page 14 of this thread), did you not even notice MOST of those statements were made within days of the collision? That we had NO information supplied by an outside INVESTIGATIVE agency. I also posted several times that we should wait until the investigation was completed. Of course "some" of us don't have the ability to determine EXACTLY what happened without at least looking at the evidence, as you do...

No you are not an Internet IDENT, You are TRYING to be an internet CSI Crime Scene Investigator. IF you were a true "investigator" you would know that the task of an "IDENT" person is simply to bag and tag, evidence, (including fingerprints, photos, measurements etc, at the scene. They don't "do" the actual investigation... This shows you COMPLETE lack of knowledge and expertise in these matters and actual POLICE procedure and protocols.

Now, Let's for just ONE SECOND assume your "measurements", (made with a car odometer as opposed to the accident reconstruction team who used "calibrated and certified" measuring devices), were accurate. You ask why an officer didn't see a SINGLE headlight traveling at him at a rate of speed TWICE the legal limit. Now turn the tables for a second and explain to us mere mortals, HOW did Clayton not see a full sized sedan with TWO headlights, (which at night would have cast light in the general area of the cruiser), as well as TWO tail lights? Again it is LOGICAL to assume one riding a motorcycle, (remember his friend DVSbullet initially stated he was a safe responsible rider who didn't ride beyond his capabilities), so he should have seen this vehicle and slowed.

Now you said that the line of sight gave Clayton 550 meters and 12 seconds to see the cruiser. (even at 150 km/h). So this rider who according to those who knew him and was a "safe a responsible rider who didn't ride beyond his abilities", surely he should have been able to bring a SS bike to a safe and controlled stop WELL within those time and distance constraints. You say the 825 meters, line of sight to the West meant the officer "should have seen the bike behind him" Well this would also mean that Clayton should have seen the much larger vehicle with TWO taillights in that same distance.

However, I thank you for the measurements as it only strengthens the argument AGAINST a charge of illegal U turn as the HTA section states the driver must have 150m of vision you clearly have demonstrated that the officer had a full 550 meters therefore his u turn was NOT illegal as per the current legislation, (which you may disagree with, BUT until it is re written it stands).

So for those of us who aren't nearly as experienced investigators as you, (BTW I have investigated approx 2500 collisions including SEVERAL fatalities, involving all types of vehicles from bicycles all the way to fully loaded rigs), how it is that the officer "should" have made all the above observations yet Clayton made NONE of them? So your point is that the officer must be super human in that he can see all and that the rider had the ability, (his viewing position "should" have been better as his view was straight ahead as opposed to the officers being via rear view mirrors), to see NONE of this? Your conclusion my friend is terribly flawed.

If as your above statement indicates, "we would all shoot for safety" then rather than "try" to avoid a collision by swerving around a vehicle, (which according to you, was blocking the entire available road surface), and accounting for YOUR figures that the rider had 550 meters and 12 seconds to stop would THAT have not been the "safe" thing to do???

Several times in this thread you have condemned the SIU investigators asking how they could have "known the officers intent" as well as other findings. Then YOU "claim" to know what Clayton's intent was, (that he was on the wrong side of the road to avoid a collision). Nicely done, again, you have CLEARLY demonstrated that we should ALL be glad your not sent to investigate ANY collision anyone is involved in.

Several pages ago you asked me to provide "my motive", (which i did, saying that it was to disprove many inaccuracies and that many members had initially, (without benefit of an investigation), made inaccurate and inflammatory posts towards the guilt of the officer.

So please enlighten us as to YOUR motives, in a attempt to dispute the findings of EXPERTS with the benefit of ALL the evidence?[/QUOTE]

You try to put up a good fight, but you can't even read? That line of site would be if there was no construction. There was lots of construction with a concrete barrier that greatly reduced the line of site. They changed the crash site almost immediately so there was no way to take pics or our own true measurements. Albeit seeing the site with the construction equipment still there you didnt need an investigation to see that neither of them had half the legal sight distance with the cruiser behind the wall. I can agree with siu's path of the cruiser. It is exactly what i had said in the beginning, the cruiser came from behind the wall and did not stop to look for oncoming traffic.

This thread is hilarious.

I can read, I also directly quoted casacrow, (as he says he was there shortly after the collision and he is the one who provided the distances and the sight lines, not I).

To state that the "cruiser came from behind the wall" is an attempt, (IMHO), to make it appear as though the officer "was hiding behind" the wall or at the bare minimum to insinuate that. I read the SIU report and this is simply not a fact, nor was this presented as a possibility. The SIU clearly state the officer was in the process of completing a U turn.

Again it was clearly the officer's fault for not seeing a single head light, (in his rear view mirror). While Clayton bears no responsibility for seeing a full sized sedan, which he was approaching.

The one arguing this point is casacrow, who wants the officer charged for making an illegal u turn, when NO evidence exists to show the u turn in and of itself was illegal, while also "trying" to further the point that the cruiser wasn't viewable as it was behind a barrier. So I ask which one was it the officer couldn't be doing both, (completeing a U turn and "hiding behind a barrier")

You stated back in June did you not that Clayton was familiar with this section of roadway? If he was familiar then why would he be riding in a construction zone with narrowed lanes and potentially obstructed views at TWICE the legal limit. But again it seems the only issue is that the officer is 100% liable and at fault while Clayton is completely blameless in his demise. I would rather see Clayton still enjoying his bike and his family and friends, but HE made choices that likely we have all made and he, (from the information posted by him to social media), made many many times. Unfortunately those choices finally caught up to him.

As I have stated many times it is tragic, and those who are arguing for the officer to be held accountable are doing so based purely upon emotions, and what the "feel" is right. They are not basing it on the facts and the law, as we have it. Just because someone dies we can't charge someone who (under the current legislation), has done nothing illegal.

Sometimes bad things happen to good people. the likelihood of that happening increases dramatically when that person is themselves doing something illegal and reckless.
I would say yes.Except SIU came do a different conclusion.

2228565]Ok Casacrow, so given that you have now proclaimed yourself a self appointed investigator... Quote from your post # 267 in this thread "considering my experience with legal investigations in Ontario

So please enlighten us as to YOUR motives, in a attempt to dispute the findings of EXPERTS with the benefit of ALL the evidence?

You try to put up a good fight, but you can't even read? That line of site would be if there was no construction. There was lots of construction with a concrete barrier that greatly reduced the line of site. They changed the crash site almost immediately so there was no way to take pics or our own true measurements. Albeit seeing the site with the construction equipment still there you didnt need an investigation to see that neither of them had half the legal sight distance with the cruiser behind the wall. I can agree with siu's path of the cruiser. It is exactly what i had said in the beginning, the cruiser came from behind the wall and did not stop to look for oncoming traffic.[/QUOTE]

Ok Casacrow, so given that you have now proclaimed yourself a self appointed investigator... Quote from your post # 267 in this thread "considering my experience with legal investigations in Ontario."

Many of us civilians have had involved with legal investigations in Ontario. Myself, I have unfortunately been in the wrong place at the wrong time and witnessed some horrible events. I have provided evidence in several investigations, including video evidence. I have also been on the receiving end of a criminal investigation- much like the officer. None of this really matters though, I was just simply asking that you refer to me as "Internet Ident". Call me whatever you like though, you are free to do so.

I did not approach this matter with the belief that the officer was at fault. I heard the news and read the thread. I was actually under the impression that the real likelyhood was that the rider made a less than intelligent manouver avoiding an officer during persuit. I decided I would attend the crash site and see if I could better understand what had happened. Once I spent some time at the site, and viewed the photos in media releases, I then realized I was wrong in my hypothesis. After and only after viewing the site for myself did I begin posting in this thread.

Unfortunately all evidence is not available. We do not have access to to the notes taken, the report from the SIU. I suppose getting laughed out of the building would be a possibility, but I've never seen a JP do that, not to my face anyways.

You clearly and firmly stated that the collision was a head on collision. This is what the media called it, and you confirmed that you clearly believed this prior to any SIU release. As a former police officer I would have expected you to not base your beliefs on a media news release. Now you are just agreeing with the latest release that was provided from the SIU. This is where I have developed my line of thinking when I refer to you as being spoon fed. You at some point made refernce to me being a bouncy rubber ball or similar. I have stayed pretty darn consistient in my views, you however, have not.

I do see that you are putting a lot of effort forward in attempting to discredit me. You are correct sir, I am just a civilian with no expertise in crash scene reconstruction. I am however, a concerned citizen that physically attended the scene and have been providing my obersvations on the internet. Can I also assume that you may also believe that the SIU is some sort of an "Internet Investigation team" as they also published there finding on the internet? Have you attended the scene.....or are you simply basing your thoughts on what you read on the internet?

Yes, I agree that if the officer was making a legal turning manouver with a clear view of the roadway that Clay would also have been able to see the cruiser. A person riding directly into the side of a vehicle blocking the road would absolutely exhibit poor choices. SIU released that they believe Clayton made an attempt to avoid collision. They made no reference to the officer attempting to avoid collision, which if the view was not obstructed for either party, you would expect a reasonable person to do.

Now if the turning manouver placed the officer's car behind the barrier(highly likely as a UTurn could not be made in the space allowed), Clay may have seen the car over the barrier before it entered the roadway and didn't expect it pull out. He may have not also seen the car had it pulled out from the barier until it was too late for him to stop.

Clay's direction of travel was predictable to the officer, had he seen him. The officer's direction of travel would have been less predictable to Clay as the officer was travelling perpendicular to the normal flow of traffic.

Yes my method of measurement was less than precise and my odometer has not been certified by Measurement Canada. I welcome you the opportunity to make your own measurements and provide them here.

I do not agree with DVS that Clayton didn't ride beyond his abilities.Yes I believe that Clayton would have been able to bring his motorcycle to a stop considering the sightline, that is assuming the the officer initiated his turning manouver before seeing the motorcycle( approx 12 seconds), and that the turning manouver did not involve leaving the usable portion of the roadway and travelling behind the concrete barrier. Yes on the approach to the hill Clay would have seen the officer in front of him. I would not expect him to assume that the car was going to later be posistioned perpendicular to the flow of traffic blocking the roadway.

I am not too sure how you can discredit my measurements, then later use them to support your arguement? I once said that the UTurn illegal, and you strongly opposed. Where did the SIU ever say he was making a LEGAL UTurn?

I appreciate your service to whatever region you have worked in. It sounds that you have spent many years in service and I appreciate that. This is also the reason why I will never quickly dismiss your obervations. Your service as a police officer encourages me to spend much more time reading your posts and trying to completely understand them. My point is definately not that the officer must be super human, I actually would believe that his actions were subhuman considering the events as I see them.

Yes. If the officer's car was in view for the full 12 seconds, I would expect Clay to come to a stop. My expectations of Clay do not change my expectations of the officer, I would expect the officer to not be blocking a roadway for such an extended period of time, to not have reeneterd the roadway from behind a barrier, and to act as a resonable person would and attemp to avoid collision. If he sat in the path of an oncoming speeding vehicle for 12 seconds, he is was not reasonable. Had he appeared in fron of Clay from behind the barrier, his actions were also not reasonable.

Ok. Perhaps he was on the wrong side of the road because he felt like riding there. The officer blocked both lanes. SIU did conclude that Clay attempted to avoid collision, am I wrong to assume that being in the westbound lane was also part of his atempt?

I already have.
Please offer your full interpretation of events. What are the possibilities based on your observations? I would really like to hear what your thoughts are on what both vehicles did that night.You have spent much time in an effort to discredit me(doing a good job BTW), I would really like to know what you believe happened.

My question after reading this 12seconds of view.
If the officer could see the bike for 12 seconds, why didn't the rider slow down from double the limit?
Most people when they see the police in front of them, they slow down when speeding.....

Not if the cop is sitting and doing radar with lights off, not saying that was the case, but considering that the officer wouldn't hand over his copy of his notes makes you wonder what does he have to hide?

Simple question for DVS and casacrow, do either of you believe that the cop was malicious and tried to block the path of Clayton with his cruiser? I don't know many cops, I admit, but I find it hard to believe that anyone would try that move. Ego aside, a 400lbs rocket barreling into the drivers side of the vehicle could quite possibly prove to be fatal for the driver too. Do you think the cop would literally risk his/her life for a glorified speeding ticket?

Simple question for DVS and casacrow, do either of you believe that the cop was malicious and tried to block the path of Clayton with his cruiser? I don't know many cops, I admit, but I find it hard to believe that anyone would try that move. Ego aside, a 400lbs rocket barreling into the drivers side of the vehicle could quite possibly prove to be fatal for the driver too. Do you think the cop would literally risk his/her life for a glorified speeding ticket?

Cop had to get her quota somehow /s

I highly doubt that the cop had malicious intent. I highly suspect that the cop pulled onto that shoulder after the end of the construction barrier and made the U-turn without properly checking for approaching traffic.

Once the turn started, it likely took between 1 and 2 seconds for the car to go from beside the road to across the road. In that 1 to 2 seconds Clayton would have had time to swerve to the left but not brake. In that 1 to 2 seconds he would not have had time to stop EVEN IF he had been going half the speed. (Obviously the impact would have been much less severe, though.) Had the cop bothered to check his mirrors, even at 150 km/h, 2 seconds before impact Clayton would have been about 80 metres away ... not very far.

If that was the sequence of events, was the cop's driving careless and sloppy? Yes. Criminal? I don't see it.

What troubles me a bit more is the timeframe if this move from travelling same direction as Clayton then onto the shoulder and then swung back around to make the U-turn was done in one move (as SIU suggests). Slowing down (brake lights) ... turn onto the shoulder ... a normal driver doing this in a normal timeframe might take 8 or 10 seconds to do something like that, 10 seconds prior to impact would have put Clayton about 400 m away and closing fast, the taillights and brake lamps would have been highly visible at night. A situation like that would set alarm bells off in MY head ("SLOW DOWN"), not to mention this being a construction zone, but we can't speak for others. Someone else may see the car turn off to the right and say "Aah, the car is out of my way" and keep on going, only to have the car turn across his path.

Even if we assume that the cop had been parked there behind the barriers lights-out and invisible to Clayton, blasting through a construction zone at high speed isn't exactly a sensible thing for a rider/driver to be doing.

"Should the cop be charged with a HTA offence" ... my opinion is that Clayton's excessive speed doesn't mitigate the need for the officer to only make the U-turn when it is safe to do so, which it clearly wasn't, and putting "probable/likely" numbers to the timeframe would suggest that the approaching bike ought to have been clearly visible (unless the view was blocked by the construction barrier, in which case it was an illegal U-turn to begin with) ... but you can't go to court with a case based on assumptions. "Should he be charged" - perhaps, but whether it would result in a conviction is quite another matter (and that's pretty much what the SIU said)

Having said that, the one and only time my dad was ever in a major collision happened because he had a medical condition (since resolved) and blacked out, resulting in him blowing through a stop sign and getting T-boned by a van. Did he get a HTA charge as a result ... oh, yes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom