Chrome stripping from plastic....? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Chrome stripping from plastic....?

Interested in some responses also. I have a few pieces on my ole car that is being restored that will have to go through the same process. I have tried "Easy Off" oven cleaner with some results but not up to my expectations.

The trick is to find something that is not going to react with the plastic underneath.

Interested in some responses also. I have a few pieces on my ole car that is being restored that will have to go through the same process. I have tried "Easy Off" oven cleaner with some results but not up to my expectations.

The trick is to find something that is not going to react with the plastic underneath.

I tried easy off as well but it did nothing,then I tried muriatic acid, again no effect(except discoloration,muriatic acid does not work when there is a nickel layer)....

what result are you looking to acheve from the bottom plastic?

im sure sandblasting would take care of the chrome and leave a matt-black underneath...

i can help ya out with that if needed, otherwise im gonna ask some pro's

your dealing with "vaccuum metalized" chrome over plastic im assuming?

what result are you looking to acheve from the bottom plastic?

im sure sandblasting would take care of the chrome and leave a matt-black underneath...

i can help ya out with that if needed, otherwise im gonna ask some pro's

your dealing with "vaccuum metalized" chrome over plastic im assuming?

I would like to achieve clean ,smooth surface for black die or black paint,sand blasting will leave rough surface I guess..?
chemical removal would be the best,I heard sulfuric acid(battery solution) would take care of that and not damage the plastic...
I think its vacuum metalized chrome over plastic,and its really tough...

Check it out....it works great!All chrome is gone 100%... :twisted:
Now I have to paint it or plasti dip it ....or die it black.... :scratch:
before...
P1010968.jpg

after....
P1010993.jpg

P1010994.jpg

you need hydrochloric acid (also known as muriatic acid, available in any major hardware store in the swimming pool supplys section or concrete/cement section,it is used for etching stone,concrete,cleaning brick)
and hydrogen peroxide 3%(also known as topical antiseptic for minor wounds,available in any drug store)
mix it in ratio 3:1 (3 parts of hydrogen peroxide ,1 part hydrochloric/muriatic acid) and let the part soak for around 24 hrs...after that parts will be stripped completely....

icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif
MURIATIC ACID IS HIGHLY CORROSIVE
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif
WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES,RUBBER GLOVES
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif

Now
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif
....ALWAYS POUR/ADD ACID INTO WATER
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif

so first fill the container with hydrogen peroxide and THEN add muriatic acid....remember that...

thats about it...

Back
Top Bottom