Chinese Manufacturer News | GTAMotorcycle.com

Chinese Manufacturer News

There's an interesting business plan in the Lynk & Co story.
It may have potential here?
It harkens back to Victor Papanek and his book "design for the real world". In 1971 he was suggesting a lot of stuff could be shared such as lawn mowers and other big ticket items. One lawnmower could easily service 6-10 homes or more. Instead we all foolishly have to buy our own. Thus reducing our individual wealth while increasing the carbon foot print 10 fold.

It harkens back to Victor Papanek and his book "design for the real world". In 1971 he was suggesting a lot of stuff could be shared such as lawn mowers and other big ticket items. One lawnmower could easily service 6-10 homes or more. Instead we all foolishly have to buy our own. Thus reducing our individual wealth while increasing the carbon foot print 10 fold.
The idea ignores issues such as who uses the shared item when, who maintains it and who decides when it's useful life is over, as well as the idea that the creation, construction and sales of those mowers create wealth for other members of society.

The idea ignores issues such as who uses the shared item when, who maintains it and who decides when it's useful life is over, as well as the idea that the creation, construction and sales of those mowers create wealth for other members of society.
Those are all small issues that could easily be resolved if we cared enough to do it. But you're right it's easier just to wreck the planet.

It's easy enough to build a motorcycle. It's quite another thing to set up the parts and dealer support to keep them serviced. I don't expect to see Chinese bikes become successful here for a long time.
The Chinese manufacturers are already here - see ATVs, side-by-sides, lawn and garden, outdoor power equipment.
Currently in motorcycles, they partner with better known European and Japanese manufacturers.
If they wanted in, they'd be here already.

Those are all small issues that could easily be resolved if we cared enough to do it. But you're right it's easier just to wreck the planet.
Except (the collective) we cannot resolve those (not really) small issues because the response to a challenge is ALWAYS borderline insulting hyperbole, whether it comes from a government official, someone with a vested interest in their idea or just somebody to whom it makes some degree of sense.

It's easy enough to build a motorcycle. It's quite another thing to set up the parts and dealer support to keep them serviced. I don't expect to see Chinese bikes become successful here for a long time.
I have a 2009 sym mio 50cc scooter i ride strictly in the neighborhood. Although taiwan and not china, i assume my service experience to be similar

Many shops i called for a full service last season out right declined to take it, citing they dont have parts, dont have the dealer network to get the parts, and/or crappy experiences with the manufacturers support teams.

The one shop i did find that serviced it ended up having to slightly modify a part to fit.

Instead of being dismissive, If they are such small issues why hasn't anybody solved it?? As always it's about time, money and legality.

I'm not convinced that owning 10 lawnmowers vs one has a big effect on the planet. In either case, you are burning fuel with no exhaust treatment for ~10 hours per week. You need to do 10 oil changes a year instead of one but theoretically that oil gets recycled. A personal use lawnmower often lasts a decade or more, would a lawnmower shared by 10 neighbours last as long? I doubt it.

Instead of shared ownership, there is already the option of paying someone to cut your lawn. They keep one lawnmower busy for ~40 hours a week. People don't do it because it costs a hell of a lot more than owning your own lawnmower.

no one on my street owns a lawn mower, they show up at all hours of the day towed behind F350 diesels , 4 guys bail out , one unloads the Jacobsen ride behind, one guy with a push mower and two with 2 stroke turbo blowers . It repeats all day long.
Then come the pool monkeys , three vans , big 2 1/2 pumps .
Snow removal season is jus around the corner.

I'm thinking about putting a Stihl service center in my garage , side hustle....

I think the whole lawn thing is a bit of a gimick. There must be another green cover that requires less maintenance. Clover?

Grow more grass just to cut it?

Also you missed the point GG, it could be one million vs 10 million.

I think the whole lawn thing is a bit of a gimick. There must be another green cover that requires less maintenance. Clover?

Grow more grass just to cut it?

Also you missed the point GG, it could be one million vs 10 million.
The absolute numbers don't really matter. My argument is environmentally, a shared mower is not substantially better than individual mowers. If you could buy a mower for more money with emissions controlled, that would help or if people dumped the stupidity of lawns that require constant maintenance, that would make a huge difference. Sadly, municipalities are setup to enforce the will of the majority. People with naturalized lawns often get angry letters, tickets and sometimes their natural environment mowed down by the municipality in their quest for conformance.

Back
Top Bottom