Chi-Cheemaun damaged in fire | GTAMotorcycle.com

Chi-Cheemaun damaged in fire

On a trip around lake Michigan the Squeeze and took the ferry on our return (South Baymouth to Tobermory). A fellow I worked with was the engineer that day and he gave us an extended tour of the bowels of that thing.

At that time he mentioned how difficult it was to get the 1960's era relays that were installed during it's build in the 70's. The article mentions electrical damage so it could be a delayed fix.

Don't they have 2 boats for this crossing (from Tobermory)

Don't they have 2 boats for this crossing (from Tobermory)
Use to be two, now just the one. A second was built but never used.
MS Chi-Cheemaun is the vessel that replaced MS Norgoma and SS Norisle in 1974.

EDIT: added info <> sorry, it was used.
The MV Manx Viking / Nindawayma was a passenger, truck and car ferry, whose last active service was on Lake Huron, operated by the Owen Sound Transportation Company; under contract to the Ontario Ministry of Transportation. In Canadian service she served the Highway 6 route between Tobermory and South Baymouth, Manitoulin Island from 1989 to 1992 alongside the MS Chi-Cheemaun.

It's about 5.5 hours to drive to Manitoulin from Mississauga and if you take the ferry the trip to Tobermory, the wait to board, the voyage, unloading adds up to just about the same time and it's probably cheaper to drive. So if you're primary destination is Manitoulin Island or a trip west on the Trans Canada then driving is a viable alternative.

If you planned to spend some time in Tobermory, then take the ferry for the novelty of it, spend a few days on Manitoulin and then return by ferry you might just skip the trip. Tobermory area and Manitoulin businesses will take a big hit on this.

From another FB page...

Heard, this evening, from a guy I know who works for the Owen Sound Based operator as an engineer.

“She’ll likely enter back into service this year, but too early to tell when. It was caught early. I don’t think an on-time-launch for the coming season is realistic at this moment.”

Sent from my iPad using GTAMotorcycle.com

The Bruce Peninsula is a great destination if you are a hiker. Cypress Lake to Tobermorey, Lyons Head loop are two spectacular hikes.

And a shipwreck in Wingfield basin near Cabot Head too.

Latest info;

THUNDER BAY—Extensive damage was done to the boiler room of the MS Chi-Cheemaun, the result of a fire that took place Saturday, early in the morning. The ship is in Thunder Bay for its regular dry dock maintenance and upgrading. However, while damage was done, the Chi-Cheemaun is expected to begin the sailing season as scheduled between South Baymouth and Tobermory in May.

It's about 5.5 hours to drive to Manitoulin from Mississauga and if you take the ferry the trip to Tobermory, the wait to board, the voyage, unloading adds up to just about the same time and it's probably cheaper to drive. So if you're primary destination is Manitoulin Island or a trip west on the Trans Canada then driving is a viable alternative.

If you planned to spend some time in Tobermory, then take the ferry for the novelty of it, spend a few days on Manitoulin and then return by ferry you might just skip the trip. Tobermory area and Manitoulin businesses will take a big hit on this.

I'll second this. If the Island is your destination, then the ferry is a nice way to get there.

However the roads on the Island are pretty boring as far as motorcycling goes. IMO, the fun part of the ride is the ~25 kms on Hwy 6 from Espanola to just past Whitefish Falls.

manitoulin.jpg

If you come at it from the TransCanada 17, you can turn around at Whitefish Falls and do the Hwy 6 again in reverse. Then head to the good roads around the Soo.

This, to me, would be a lot more fun than sitting on the ferry.

Back
Top Bottom