Chestermans in Tillsonburg | GTAMotorcycle.com

Chestermans in Tillsonburg

It's small but fun. I saw helmet cam video of this years set up and it looks pretty safe with some decent jumps. It's good to just get out and work the muscles a bit.

Make sure you have hard pack tires on, it's like concrete and will chunk up any soft terrain tires.

I'm also thinking about checking it out soon. I hope I can fit in there with my 450.

Hey - Chestermans was a blast! Great facilities and great staff! Sure, it was a little tight, but still plenty of room to ride with some nice jumps. It was awesome just to be able to ride again. I'll totally be going back.

Mikel -there was a guy there on a 450, and he had no problem.

And there were a few little kids there that decided to school me a bit too..... F. I need some more practice. :rolleyes:

...but the 450 guy was a racer. Another 450 guy showed up just before we left who appeared to also be a racer, and he was having no noticeable issues. Buggers!

I had fun, but would need to adjust my gearing to make it a lot more fun. For me the getting sweaty then getting cold part was the worst. Next time we should go upstairs every time we're not on the track.

What gearing do you have on your bike? I'm putting mine down to the shortest gearing that I can. There is only one track I race where I hit the top of 5th, but I'm not on the rev limiter, so I'll go with shorter gearing to get my 250F out of corners better.

I might be riding there during March break as it's on the way to SMX for my rebuild. High comp piston, hot cam cams, port and polish, carb re-jet and a suspension rebuild... Basically will have a new bike come race time!

Of course, if Gopher is open I'll be going there instead! I gotta get that bike dirty ASAP so I can use my new pressure washer the gf got me.

Last edited:
Nice rebuild plan!

I'm using 13/50 gearing. So far it's awesome outdoors, but I think 13/52 would be better at Chestermans. 2nd was a bit boggy and too fast for my lack of skills. For you 13/50 might be fine. What are you running now?

Nice rebuild plan!

I'm using 13/50 gearing. So far it's awesome outdoors, but I think 13/52 would be better at Chestermans. 2nd was a bit boggy and too fast for my lack of skills. For you 13/50 might be fine. What are you running now?

Geared at 13/49. It's ok at Chestermans, just keep the momentum up in the corners.

Can't wait to get outdoors and see how this thing rips... I suspect I'll be near at least 45hp and have some balls higher up in the rev range. Already has a full FMF megabomb system on it and I run race fuel.
Had to replace my head pipe last year after I ended up on the bottom of a pile at the beginning of a moto, so I upgraded. Made a difference, especially in mid range. Added benefit is my bike has a different tone than most others so it's easier for me to hear my own bike at the gate drop.

Hopefully getting a risk starting gate early this season so I can practice my starts. My reaction time is good, but those 50 feet of clutching out and gassing/body position is what gets me... And I need to get out of Dungey mode and start being more agressive lol.

Being like Dungey can't be a bad thing. haha...

I'm pretty sure it's my total lack of skill, having only ridden my YZ 3 or 4 times. Mine came with a power bomb header with stock silencer. It seems to have a really snappy low end and loads of grunt. The snappy low end is taking some time to get used to. I keep making mistakes and getting my throttle hand in a funny position and end up jacking the throttle when I land jumps. Not cool!

Being like Dungey can't be a bad thing. haha...

I'm pretty sure it's my total lack of skill, having only ridden my YZ 3 or 4 times. Mine came with a power bomb header with stock silencer. It seems to have a really snappy low end and loads of grunt. The snappy low end is taking some time to get used to. I keep making mistakes and getting my throttle hand in a funny position and end up jacking the throttle when I land jumps. Not cool!

Youll get that wrist control down. I was like that when I started on an 87 cr125, probably the most entertaining guy to hit a set of whoops lol.
Part of the issue is holding on too stiff, but the more you ride the more you loosen up. Do u get arm pump? You might not indoors, but after a few laps in an arggressive sand track you might.

Youll get that wrist control down. I was like that when I started on an 87 cr125, probably the most entertaining guy to hit a set of whoops lol.
Part of the issue is holding on too stiff, but the more you ride the more you loosen up. Do u get arm pump? You might not indoors, but after a few laps in an arggressive sand track you might.

Yeah I get lots of arm pump. I'm not confident enough yet to hit all the doubles every time, so most of my pump and fatigue is from heavy landings. I'm planning to get some professional instruction this season so I don't learn too many bad habits and can hopefully learn how to do it right.

Keep your eyes open for single day schools, some tracks will bring in either current or old pros to teach, and there is usually all different ages of people.

I did a week camp last summer at the Thompson's track in Brigden. In a way it was fun, but it was WORK. Drills basically all week, taking away our clutch levers, doing laps without sitting down, no rear brake use etc... But, the first weekend back to racing at the end of that week, I was rippin! Hard part is to make yourself do those drills after the school.

I used to deal with arm pump, and my first ride each season I get a bit during my first day out, but after that I'm fine. I can do a 30 minute session at Gopher doing ~2min laps without arm pump, but I'm bagged after for a little while.
I think spending time on the bike and getting comfortable on it helped to get rid of the death grip, as well as working out all the time (cardio, plyo and some weights). Sometimes it's a mental issue as well. Legs are huge in moto, once you get them working like they need to be, it lessens the load on your arms.

We were thinking about heading up to Motopark for a few hours of personal instruction. It sounds like a decent deal to get one instructor for two people.

i really gotta put my bike back together and get out, altho i think i have my supermoto wheels on still, they do fine at chestermans, and ya get the hey look at these idiots on the slicks factor too.

i really gotta put my bike back together and get out, altho i think i have my supermoto wheels on still, they do fine at chestermans, and ya get the hey look at these idiots on the slicks factor too.

It's better than leaving half of my mid-soft scorpion on the track in burnt rubber lol

Apparently Friday is the day to go. My buddy was there yesterday and they were grooming the track. They said they groom it every Friday morning.

We were thinking about heading up to Motopark for a few hours of personal instruction. It sounds like a decent deal to get one instructor for two people.

If you joining steel city riders, in the summer. members get weekly schools. To get tips and pointers great for all ages.

Back
Top Bottom