Cheap wireless com system for rider passenger | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cheap wireless com system for rider passenger

I was just talking to a buddy and apparently the s20 you don't have to push a button to talk, it's all automatic once you set it.
Is there any other cheaper models like that or do you have to push and hold to talk every single time?
Are these ebay ones push and hold to talk?

Sena is a no push to talk, I believe scala may be as well. The Scala isn't cheap. I was looking at a Bell helmet designed for a Sena 10, its $220.00 for the lid, then $169. for a Sena 10, but it fits into a pocket built into the lid for a very clean look.
I may try a Daytona set, its on sale for $99. just to see how often I use it.
Sadly I have boxes full of gadgets that seemed like a good idea until I used it twice.......

Sena is a no push to talk, I believe scala may be as well. The Scala isn't cheap. I was looking at a Bell helmet designed for a Sena 10, its $220.00 for the lid, then $169. for a Sena 10, but it fits into a pocket built into the lid for a very clean look.
I may try a Daytona set, its on sale for $99. just to see how often I use it.
Sadly I have boxes full of gadgets that seemed like a good idea until I used it twice.......

Considering I was about to buy my gf a new flat black lid...that may be a good option. I think bell even has the transition visors.

You mean the sets from Daytona motorsport?
I remember looking at theirs last year and thinking it just looked like the eBay ones.
Post ip the make and model if you get a chance.

Are the eBay ones no push to talk or you have to push to talk?

I don't know anything about the Daytona stuff or ebay, Royal Dist. has the Bell helmet with the built in pocket for a Sena10 , they list a specific Sena10 model which they apparently also carry. If your in Barrie pop over there and check it out.

Thought I'd chime in. My wife and I have the Sena SMH-5 which we use for bike to bike comm for the past 3 seasons.

They are sufficiently loud enough for our needs and since we only use them to talk, the dynamic range works well higher
frequencies seem able to penetrate wind noise better.
They are good up to about 1/2 km (give or take) and as long as you have direct line of sight.

We only ran out of power on them one time, and that was about 6 hours of riding.

My only complaint is that you need to maintain the batteries in these. Mine completely discharged while in storage and I couldn't revive them.
Sena will not replace/repair them once the units are out of warranty and do not supply batteries, so you are on your own to find suitable replacement batteries.
There's a fair amount of chatter about this on their forums.

I found a source from a robotics kit supply company in Vancouver (under $20 taxes and delivery included) and only had to solder the connectors from the original batteries onto the replacements.

Again that's my only complaint, now I make sure to top up the charge every month while not using them.

Thought I'd chime in. My wife and I have the Sena SMH-5 which we use for bike to bike comm for the past 3 seasons.

They are sufficiently loud enough for our needs and since we only use them to talk, the dynamic range works well higher
frequencies seem able to penetrate wind noise better.
They are good up to about 1/2 km (give or take) and as long as you have direct line of sight.

We only ran out of power on them one time, and that was about 6 hours of riding.

My only complaint is that you need to maintain the batteries in these. Mine completely discharged while in storage and I couldn't revive them.
Sena will not replace/repair them once the units are out of warranty and do not supply batteries, so you are on your own to find suitable replacement batteries.
There's a fair amount of chatter about this on their forums.

I found a source from a robotics kit supply company in Vancouver (under $20 taxes and delivery included) and only had to solder the connectors from the original batteries onto the replacements.

Again that's my only complaint, now I make sure to top up the charge every month while not using them.

fiancé and I use the SMH5 as well and we love them...talking on the phone is great too and so far, no one has complained about noise (full face helmet)...my battery died but was within warranty and they replaced my whole unit...however, I did find a place in Markham Canada Robotix that sells replacements for like $7...I paid $225 for the pair and I can't live without them...

If you're looking for cheap, but from a good company, Sena has the 3s now.

About the same price as the ebay one but from Sena.

fiancé and I use the SMH5 as well and we love them...talking on the phone is great too and so far, no one has complained about noise (full face helmet)...my battery died but was within warranty and they replaced my whole unit...however, I did find a place in Markham Canada Robotix that sells replacements for like $7...I paid $225 for the pair and I can't live without them...

Same here. We love them. Definitely worth getting them fixed, especially when it's a cheap battery!
Cool about Canada Robotix, I just checked them out.
If I find myself needing replacement batteries again, I'll know where to get them closer to home. Many thanks!

If you're looking for cheap, but from a good company, Sena has the 3s now.

About the same price as the ebay one but from Sena.
looks to be almost the same for 2 as the SMH5 and i think the 3s is also aimed at 3/4 helmets. i know i didnt mention it but i use a fullface (shoei RF1100 for now but its time for a new 1, may look at the 1200.)

Hey guys I promised I would give my review of the BTI V6 Intercom & Bluetooth headset and here it is!
Check it out, let me know what you think, but I highly recommend you get this is you want a cheap alternative to a Sena. Really no major downside to this unit. me and 7 buddies each got one and all agree its great!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hyVG54bSbA
Possibly the best headset for the money! ( For cheap people) haha

Last edited:
Hey guys I promised I would give my review of the BTI V6 Intercom & Bluetooth headset and here it is!
Check it out, let me know what you think, but I highly recommend you get this is you want a cheap alternative to a Sena. Really no major downside to this unit. me and 7 buddies each got one and all agree its great!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hyVG54bSbA
Possibly the best headset for the money! ( For cheap people) haha

do you have to push to talk? or is it just on as soon as you start talking?

How compatible are all these systems with one other? Are there brand walls between them? I rarely ride with anyone but would be annoyed that I couldn't talk to other riders since I don't have the right getup.

How compatible are all these systems with one other? Are there brand walls between them? I rarely ride with anyone but would be annoyed that I couldn't talk to other riders since I don't have the right getup.

Not sure about other manufacturers but all the newest Senas can connect with other brands to comm. However, I believe there are limitations. For example, I believe you can have up to 3 Sena units paired with your own on all the new units, and I believe the 20s can do 5. But if you want to pair with a non-Sena, I believe you are limited to 1.

Back
Top Bottom