Cheap bike Kijiji scam - Think it's too good to be true? It is. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cheap bike Kijiji scam - Think it's too good to be true? It is.

espro

So I know everyone knows about people trying to scam you into selling your bike to someone, but I haven't really heard much about the seller trying to scam the buyer. I just found a perfect example of this

The ad's gone now but here's a shot of it in my news reader:

RIFNO.png

Pictures were of a 2008+ model, title said 2010, ad said 2006, price was at least $3000 below market. Decided to email to see what was up and got this reply:

Hello,I saw ur reply to my 2010 Ducati Monster ad listed on the Kijiji.
I inform u that the bike is still available for sale for $4200.
It's a 2010 year model with 696 cc of displacement,19000 km,red colour,never been dropped or scratched,oil changed recently and very well maintened.
Runs perfectly,no disapointement with this bike,nothing wrong with it at all,certified and still on road.

I've been using this bike in Toronto but i rarely ride it but i took it abraod recently during my last holidays but one week later i landed to the country i got an urgent call from a model agency based in Chelsea where i applied for job as professional photographer so they want to start as soon as possible and i didn't come back to Toronto before going over there but i intrusted the bike to a transport company to deliver it to my buddy in Toronto but he has left for Manitoba to visit family so the bike has remained with the company till today and the company is rushing me to find someone to whom they can deliver the bike in Toronto as they can keep it any longer and the bike is currently on way to Toronto so i decided to sell it in the Toronto area at a low price to find someone for it quickly as i'm not coming back early.

I'm so happy that u found interest in my bike so be sure that the bike is in very great shape,well maintained,runs very well,nothing wrong with it at all,u will have a great fun with this bike.
So if u are really intrested in buying it,i will put u through to the company to set a time for the delivery and the bike would be transported to ur door with all its documents (UVIP,Bill of sale,Ownership) and once the bike arrived,u will test ride it a half an hour and check all its paperworks with the mto and if the bike is ok and all its paperworks are in order as it must be then u will sign the sale's contract and pay the amount of $4200 cash to the delivery guy to be the new owner of the bike and take possession of it.
So please get back to me with ur following details so that i will forward them to the company and they will get in touch with u to set delivery time:
Full name:...........Full address:..............Phone #:....................

Thanks so much for getting back to me asap.
Best regard

Don't know if anyone is dumb enough to fall for that, but if a deal sounds good to be true, it is.

If you have some spare time, reply with some bogus info, make him work hard for 3-4 days, then tell the loser to get a legit job peeling bananas instead.
Anyone who puts this much effort into scamming people deserves to be punished one way or another.
Seal-Clubbing.gif

I dont get how the Scam works. There must be a second part to it.
The second part is, they ask you to forward them money to cover the shipping, or put the money in a fake escrow company. Something like "You don't have to pay for the bike until you inspect it and are happy with it. But you have to cover the shipping or taxes or whatever before we can send the bike there. Please send $565 by Western Union to Jimmy Hoffa, 123 Military Trail, Niagara Falls, NY."

The other one says to give them the account numbers off the bottom of your cheque so they can check your credit before they send you the bike for you to examine then pay in full. Somehow they are able to wire the money from your account, with just your account number and name!

-Jamie M.

The second part is, they ask you to forward them money to cover the shipping, or put the money in a fake escrow company. Something like "You don't have to pay for the bike until you inspect it and are happy with it. But you have to cover the shipping or taxes or whatever before we can send the bike there. Please send $565 by Western Union to Jimmy Hoffa, 123 Military Trail, Niagara Falls, NY."

The other one says to give them the account numbers off the bottom of your cheque so they can check your credit before they send you the bike for you to examine then pay in full. Somehow they are able to wire the money from your account, with just your account number and name!

-Jamie M.

Oh that make sense. BTW Jamie i just relaised that we are related. Last year our great uncle died and whe wanted you to have part of his estate. Please provide me with your credit card details and 3 didgit secuity code and i will wire you the moneys.

A guy at my work fell for this except it was supposed to be for a truck. Everyone including myself told him it was a scam but he refused to believe us and lost his money. I guess sometimes some people just want to believe the deal lol. The hardest part for me was not saying I told you so!!! lol

yep, there was a guy advertizing a mint vintage '73 cl450 back in the spring. He had a great story, the bike was in storage in Yellowknife and the buyer had to pay shipping cost up front. I messed with this scumbag for at least a week . I knew it was a scam after the first email.

The same guy has tried the same scam at least 10 times that I know of , he just changes bikes and location. I reported him to Kijiji but he still posts on craigslist.

Last edited:
Lol I played around with one of these ads before on auto trader :) Kept in contact with the guy for about a week. These are obvious scams, some of them are however legit as I had a "stupid" friend falling for this before, turns out he did get the car however the cops were there after about a week. The car was stolen. So don't fall for these idiots.

Or this.. which sounds almost exactly the same except a different bike!!

Hello,

I saw ur reply to my Beautiful Honda GoldWing ad listed on the Kijiji.

I inform u that the bike is still available for sale for $4700.

It's a 2001 year model with 1800cc displacement,21000 km,red colour,never been dropped or scratched,oil changed recently and very well maintened.

Runs perfectly,no disapointement with this bike,nothing wrong with it at all,certified and still on road.

I've been using this bike in Toronto but i rarely ride it but i took it abraod recently during my last holidays and it's still in the country where i went because one week later i landed to the country i got an urgent call from a magazine based in Chelsea where i applied for job as professional photographer so they want to start as soon as possible and i didn't come back to Toronto before going over there but i intrusted the bike to a transport company to deliver it to my buddy in Toronto but he has left for Manitoba to visit family so the bike has remained with the company till today and the company is rushing me to find someone to whom they can deliver the bike in Toronto as they can keep it any longer and the bike is already on way to Toronto so i decided to sell it in the Toronto area at a low price to find someone for it quickly as i'm not coming back early.

I'm so happy that u found interest in my bike so be sure that the bike is in very great shape,well maintained,runs very well,nothing wrong with it at all,u will have a great fun with this bike.

So if u are really intrested in buying it,i will put u through to the company to set a time for the delivery and the bike would be transported to ur door with all its documents (UVIP,Bill of sale,Ownership) and once the bike arrived,u will test ride it a half an hour and check all its paperworks with the mto and if the bike is ok and all its paperworks are in order as it must be then u will sign the sale's contract and pay the amount of $4700 cash to the delivery guy to be the new owner of the bike and take possession of it.

So please get back to me with ur following details so that i will forward them to the company and they will get in touch with u to set delivery time:

Full name:...........Full address:..............Phone #:....................

Thanks so much for getting back to me asap.

Best regards

I got this not too long ago... lol

Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 15:23:36 +0100
To: <me>
Subject: Re: Reply to your "Suzuki SV 1000" Ad on Kijiji

Hi,
Sorry for the late response. This bike is in great condition,no accidents, never been down, the engine has no leaks or problems. I am selling the bike with shipping and handling included. Since I`m not in the area to sell the bike in person, I want to use a third party to handle the sale, and please note that you will receive the unit before I receive any money. This way we are both protected. Now the bike is at them in Nunavut, ready for delivery.
Let me know if you're interested and if you have questions.

Thanks

I cut and paste his entire email into google search and sure enough.... scam

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom