Change ownership without insurance or safety? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Change ownership without insurance or safety?

TheMenacE

I'm currently looking at a track bike, if I wanted to change ownership over to my name, could I do so without insurance and a safety? Or would it be mandatory that I have all that information for service ontario?

^Yup

Transfer as unfit, unplated. Gets it in your name but not road legal. You could get it on the road later (assuming it could pass safety) by adding the additional paperwork and money.

The above assumes there is a clean title for the track bike. I'm not sure where the line in the sand is for branded bikes. Will they let you put it in your name but stop you from going to fit status? I would think this would be the way but I wouldn't be surprised if they were knobs about the whole thing and wouldn't issue a title for a branded bike.

I did this recently, no problem. Just needed signed UVIP from seller and signed ownership in the transfer section. As @TK4 says, they'll register a bike as unfit. Just be aware that it'll likely be uninsurable, as far as I know, because any of the silly games required to insure a track bike for fire and theft in Ontario start with full insurance, then cancel the liability.

I'm not sure where the line in the sand is for branded bikes. Will they let you put it in your name but stop you from going to fit status? I would think this would be the way but I wouldn't be surprised if they were knobs about the whole thing and wouldn't issue a title for a branded bike.
The "Salvage" and "Rebuilt" brands don't apply to motorcycles. A motorcycle is branded as "Irreparable" where there is frame damage that requires replacement.
A vehicle branded "Irreparable":
  • has been written-off as a total loss
  • can only be used for parts or scrap
  • cannot be driven again in Ontario

The "Salvage" and "Rebuilt" brands don't apply to motorcycles. A motorcycle is branded as "Irreparable" where there is frame damage that requires replacement.
A vehicle branded "Irreparable":
  • has been written-off as a total loss
  • can only be used for parts or scrap
  • cannot be driven again in Ontario
Ok, wording difference from what I wrote, but I still don't know if I can get an unfit ownership for those bikes or if they will refuse to do anything for me (eg. does it cease to be considered a vehicle).

Yes the MOT will register a branded bike
... it has to be registered as branded, to, so it can be BRANDED.

OP: all you're getting by registering a bike for non plated use is the opportunity to pay sales tax.
And a title in his name. Makes selling it easier in the future. Also keeps the old owner from getting a title loan on it or reporting it stolen.

You make a good point. He bought it as is-where is and the value reported on the UVIP should reflect that (wink wink).

Also, if you hope to cross the border for a US race or trackday (maybe one day?), there's a pretty good chance they're going to want to see ownership when you enter. Having official ownership protects both the seller and buyer, especially as it gets very difficult to reestablish once the chain of registration is broken.

As for tax, registering a vehicle as unfit makes it pretty easy to make a case for a super low value. My '01 RC51 was valued at $0 in their system, so they didn't question the low sale price.

Back
Top Bottom