Change coolant if removing right crank cover? CBR300 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Change coolant if removing right crank cover? CBR300

JP0160

I have some Barnett clutch springs to put in my bike and was gonna do it today with some fresh oil. It looks pretty straight forward but I cant figure out if I will need to drain the coolant or not. I'll be removing the right crank case cover and it contains the water pump, not sure if it will all pour out when I take the cover off. Anyone know? Here is a pic for reference:

Untitled.jpg

I have some Barnett clutch springs to put in my bike and was gonna do it today with some fresh oil. It looks pretty straight forward but I cant figure out if I will need to drain the coolant or not. I'll be removing the right crank case cover and it contains the water pump, not sure if it will all pour out when I take the cover off. Anyone know? Here is a pic for reference:

View attachment 39042

I don't see how to pull that apart without dumping the coolant. It looks like water goes in and out through parts 3 and 34.

EDIT: Why new clutch springs? how many km on bike? I've had plates get tired before, but springs on a newish low powered bike is a new one for me.

Last edited:
I don't see how to pull that apart without dumping the coolant. It looks like water goes in and out through parts 3 and 34.

EDIT: Why new clutch springs? how many km on bike? I've had plates get tired before, but springs on a newish low powered bike is a new one for me.

That's what I thought, I was trying to figure out if it could be blocked or if it would stay in somehow, but it probably won't. I'll just grab some new Honda coolant and change it. Due for a change at 38k anyway. ~34000km on the bike. The plates are still fine, just looking for more bite is all. Clutch springs should be an easy way to stiffen her up a bit.

That's what I thought, I was trying to figure out if it could be blocked or if it would stay in somehow, but it probably won't. I'll just grab some new Honda coolant and change it. Due for a change at 38k anyway. ~34000km on the bike. The plates are still fine, just looking for more bite is all. Clutch springs should be an easy way to stiffen her up a bit.

don't throw away your old stock springs - you may miss your feather light clutch lever, and want to put them back in....

for what its worth, I would change the clutch (fiber friction clutch plates) and coolant if you are going through the trouble of taking things apart to change the springs. motorcycle superstore has them listed for $40.

Last edited:
I kept them along with all the other spare parts from my bike in case I sell it or don't like the changes. The clutch still grabs just fine and I don't have the tool to remove the crown nut so I just did the springs this time. I did it all in about 3 hours start to finish, with no prior experience opening a motor. Drain oil and coolant, remove cover, clean off old gasket, change springs, reinstall with new gasket, cover back on, refilled fluids and gave it a 5 minute test last night, all seemed well. Gonna get a chance to test it a little more today. I keep my sh*t lubed up real good so even with the stiff springs the lever pulls like grease lightning. Much more initial bite than with stock springs

I kept them along with all the other spare parts from my bike in case I sell it or don't like the changes. The clutch still grabs just fine and I don't have the tool to remove the crown nut so I just did the springs this time. I did it all in about 3 hours start to finish, with no prior experience opening a motor. Drain oil and coolant, remove cover, clean off old gasket, change springs, reinstall with new gasket, cover back on, refilled fluids and gave it a 5 minute test last night, all seemed well. Gonna get a chance to test it a little more today. I keep my sh*t lubed up real good so even with the stiff springs the lever pulls like grease lightning. Much more initial bite than with stock springs

excellent ! no fartin around got er done. Its good to hear your feedback on the barnett springs - useful info for anyone considering to do the same.

Back
Top Bottom