Chain Recommendations | GTAMotorcycle.com

Chain Recommendations

Kuro

Site Supporter
I've read a few threads about chains and sprockets and I'm still not quite sure what to get.

I bought a cheap D2 Moto chain and now I've decided I don't want to risk my life with a cheap chain.

Rule of thumb is to replace sprocket with the chain but there are alot of conversion kits out there. I've read that vortex alumimum sprockets are weak.

My CBR1K has a 530 chain that comes stock. When I bought it, its been rusted to ****.

I was looking at buying this. It looks like a 520 conversion kit. I don't really care that much for more acceleration though it would be nice.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/RK-Chain-Sprocke...Accessories&hash=item56449a96f3#ht_2997wt_801

This 2nd link seems to be what I'm leaning towards. Key words in this ad are

"All sprockets are high grade anodised steel replacement sprockets made in Japan not cheap Chinese sprockets"

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CBR1000RR-04-05-...ccessories&hash=item336277dde5#ht_2963wt_1114

Can anyone give me some input on this?
Is there a disadvantage to dropping from a 530 to a 525 or 520?

I've read a few threads about chains and sprockets and I'm still not quite sure what to get.

I bought a cheap D2 Moto chain and now I've decided I don't want to risk my life with a cheap chain.

Rule of thumb is to replace sprocket with the chain but there are alot of conversion kits out there. I've read that vortex alumimum sprockets are weak.

My CBR1K has a 530 chain that comes stock. When I bought it, its been rusted to ****.

I was looking at buying this. It looks like a 520 conversion kit. I don't really care that much for more acceleration though it would be nice.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/RK-Chain-Sprocke...Accessories&hash=item56449a96f3#ht_2997wt_801

This 2nd link seems to be what I'm leaning towards. Key words in this ad are

"All sprockets are high grade anodised steel replacement sprockets made in Japan not cheap Chinese sprockets"

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CBR1000RR-04-05-...ccessories&hash=item336277dde5#ht_2963wt_1114

Can anyone give me some input on this?
Is there a disadvantage to dropping from a 530 to a 525 or 520?

Did you price out the parts from honda? I bought an OEM chain from Honda and 6000 Km later It's still within slack specs. For the sprockets check out kimpex. Most bike shops can order from their catalog. Sometimes Honda has better prices, sometimes not.

The idea of switching to a smaller chain is to reduce unsprung weight and friction. This allows the bike to change direction easier. Will a street rider notice? Nope. However its a mod that adds resale value as everyone wants it.
Manufacturers notoriously use too large of chains to allow the bikes to get through warranty with the chain and sprockets, they know that 90plus % of riders do not look after a chain.
Now for your choices I would say any of the name brand chains in some for of O ring is a good choice. Steel sprockets last longer however if you are on top of your chain maintenance the aluminum sprocket can and will last the life of the chain. Its all on the owner, in my experience m VERY few are on top of it, I have seen chains run 30K and I have seen them pooched in under 5K

I put 35,000 km on a ZX10R with a 520-conversion and a good-quality aluminum rear sprocket and a good chain - DID 520 ERV3 - and it was still good; changed it because I'm re-purposing the bike and it needed a (much) longer chain.

Tip: if you are going to play around with sprocket ratios - and why not - do all the ratio-changing with the rear sprocket and leave the front sprocket with the stock number of teeth. It puts less stress on the chain than the common cheap-and-easy -1 on the front sprocket.

I lubricate chains with used motor oil. Messy, but it works.

Did you price out the parts from honda? I bought an OEM chain from Honda and 6000 Km later It's still within slack specs. For the sprockets check out kimpex. Most bike shops can order from their catalog. Sometimes Honda has better prices, sometimes not.

I find OEM stuff costs an arm and a leg, and a kidney. A bolt is $5.00, so a sprocket is probably going to be super expensive. I guess it wouldnt hurt to call Honda, but I prefer to stay away from stealerships.

Now for your choices I would say any of the name brand chains in some for of O ring is a good choice. Steel sprockets last longer however if you are on top of your chain maintenance the aluminum sprocket can and will last the life of the chain. Its all on the owner, in my experience m VERY few are on top of it, I have seen chains run 30K and I have seen them pooched in under 5K

Being ontop of chain maintenance would just simply be lubing it every or every other fill up and adjusting chain tension after every lets say 5,000km? I'm not the greatest with maintenance either, I lube it every about 3 fill ups.

I put 35,000 km on a ZX10R with a 520-conversion and a good-quality aluminum rear sprocket and a good chain - DID 520 ERV3 - and it was still good; changed it because I'm re-purposing the bike and it needed a (much) longer chain.

Tip: if you are going to play around with sprocket ratios - and why not - do all the ratio-changing with the rear sprocket and leave the front sprocket with the stock number of teeth. It puts less stress on the chain than the common cheap-and-easy -1 on the front sprocket.

I lubricate chains with used motor oil. Messy, but it works.

Thats interesting. Is there a charts that explains how many teeth I should drop on the rear if I were to do a conversion?

I find OEM stuff costs an arm and a leg, and a kidney. A bolt is $5.00, so a sprocket is probably going to be super expensive. I guess it wouldnt hurt to call Honda, but I prefer to stay away from stealerships.

Being ontop of chain maintenance would just simply be lubing it every or every other fill up and adjusting chain tension after every lets say 5,000km? I'm not the greatest with maintenance either, I lube it every about 3 fill ups.

Thats interesting. Is there a charts that explains how many teeth I should drop on the rear if I were to do a conversion?

I buy parts from Honda all the time. Why? because they are lower or I don't have to pay shipping. The dealer doesn't set the price, Honda does. If you don't like the treatment from one dealer go to another. My experience with Honda products have been positive and encouraging. Their sprockets were on the high side so I got them elsewhere. I bought JT sprockets which is a brand in the sprocket market. Not junk coming from who knows where. My chain size is 420. Quite a bit smaller than your chain. Chains have a tensile strength. Any chain you use has to stand up to the torque of your bike. If you go to a smaller chain, make sure it has the strength to stand up to your bike. The best chain I believe is an X ring chain.

Divide the number of teeth on the rear sprocket by the number of teeth on the front sprocket. That's your final drive ratio. Now play around with the numbers until you get what you want. Bigger final drive ratio = shorter gearing = more acceleration but lower maximum speed in each gear. Anything non-stock will throw your speedometer off, but that's what a SpeedoHealer is for.

I highly suggest the EK ZZZ line of chains....they aren't cheap, but they look good and last and last. I also only use steel sprockets on my streetbikes.....for longevity, as a secondary reason, and primarily becasue I hate the noise the aluminum sprockets create....the chain just runs quieter on steel ones.
On my GSXR1000, I had an EK ZZZ from Platinum Powersports, only adjusted it twice in 3 yrs. It simply didn't stretch. Normally I don't buy into the hype, but they advertise the ZZZ chains with ZST (zero streatch technology) and it by far and away surpassed any chain i have ever used from RK, Tsubaki, or DID.
I just bought another one for my KTM from Bluestreak and can't wait to put it on, as soon as my rear sprocket comes in ( -1F and +4 R gearing...should be fun!)

Thanks for the tips guys.
I bought a 16:40 DID 525 X-ring chain before I read your post Omni, but I'll consider it for my next chain.
So basically, I went -1 rear tooth while keeping the front the same.

Hopefully this front sprocket wont give me too much trouble removing it.

Thanks again guys.

Back
Top Bottom