Chain Lube | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Chain Lube

I'm glad someone opened lines of communication on this. I'm a new bike owner and will be doing my first oil change, air filter replacement (for maintenance, not perceived performance gains just so we're clear), and I'm new to chain maintenance also.

Sounds like oil is the preferred method. My cousin rides, but he seems to use "chain lube". Sounds like I can save my money...

Aerosol can of whatever is cheapest for the trials bike. Shaft drive for the street. I hate chains.

I'm on a 2017 Honda Rebel 500. Not sure what Honda recommends, but if people are liking oil, that works for me.

O- rings are sealed from the factory. Besides WD 40 has been proven not to ruin the rubber seals of the O-Ring.
That's right.
... but the Orings are made to keep the nice thick viscous chain lube IN, not keep the really thin, low in viscosity WD40 out. The WD40 will get past the Oring and dilute the lube.
Don't put anything that approaches being a solvent on a Oring chain

And if you want me to throw a wrench at your head, put a Scott's oiler on your bike with an Oring chain. All you're doing is polluting the environment with oil

I was curious cause I just got a new bike (MT-09)
Checked the owners manual and it says
“do not use engine oil or any other lubricants for the drive chain, as they may contain substances that could damage the o-rings”

BUT doesn’t list what a suitable lube would be … I like the gear oil as I have access to 75/80-90 through work
Obviously asking the dealer I’m sure I’ll be recommended some expensive chain lube
Money grab for yammy parts and should just use gear oil or something to take serious?

That's right.
... but the Orings are made to keep the nice thick viscous chain lube IN, not keep the really thin, low in viscosity WD40 out. The WD40 will get past the Oring and dilute the lube.
Don't put anything that approaches being a solvent on a Oring chain
Eh no...if the O rings seals were bad to begin with then yes I could see a problem with them not being able to seal out anything. Diesel is also a fine alternative to use; contains lubricating properties as well. To each his or her own I guess.

Why bother? Is getting a few hundred extra kilometers out of a $150 chain really worth the hassle, mess and expense of cleaning and lubing? I regularly get 20,000km out of a good quality X-ring chain riding dirt and gravel on my KLR and all I do is wipe it with an oily rag before storing it for the winter.
KLRs don't need a lot of love. Mine gets a periodic spray of lube if I manage to remember. It gets washed only when I ride in the rain.

Gear oil works great but it’s messy/flings. I clean mine with kerosene bought in bulk once in a while and lube with Maxima chainwax. Same for my dirtbike however it gets the process more often because of crud.

Kerosene is definitely the best cleaner.
And the brush RobVN suggested I'm sure works great, too, although I use the three sided brush. I originally use the single bristle brush and it was a long chore, but the three-sided brush worked better than I could have guessed. It cut my time by about 75% and seemed to do a better job of it.Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 2.47.42 PM.png

For people cleaning their chains ... Don't work too hard at it. Get the nasty looking grunge off the outer side plates (visible) and then STOP. Too much abrasion will destroy the O-rings, and that will drastically shorten the life of the chain.

The first time I over cleaned a chain... wow! I was told by my mechanic, who gave me the can, to use a spray on lithium grease. Worst advise I've ever had I think, regarding the motorcycle. The chain was so gummed up with dried grease and dirt. It took me a good 2 hours to clean the chain, both sprockets, the front sprocket's chamber, and everywhere else it flung to.
That was a learning lesson. It forced me to look closer into chain care, and I've learned more from this thread. Thanks!

If you have an Oring chain all you're trying to do is keep the chain clean and rust free. Bacon drippings will work just fine.
I wouldn't put WD40 on an Oring chain, it's a solvent that can dilute the lubricant behind the Orings
If you need to lube an x/o ringer, just use the stuff you have bedside.AG-2_5oz-Front-Both_web.png

Attachments

• AG-2_5oz-Front-Both_web.png
    AG-2_5oz-Front-Both_web.png
    2 MB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom