Chain click? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Chain click?

OverrRyde

Hi everyone,

so got the bike ready this past weekend and gave her a good clean, including chain (clean and lube). I noticed that after lubing it the chain was silent! I assumed this was due to lubing.

I took her out for a spine a couple of times since and out of curiosity i spun the wheel a little to see how it sounded and now i hear a clicking sound coming from the front sprocket again, as it did before i believe. Is this normal or could it be sign of damaged/worn out sprocket? Chain was replaced about 1.5 years ago from previous owner. Or is this totally normal for this bike? (2010 Ninja 250)

cheers!

Pics of sprockets? Video of noise? Probably normal, maybe not. A chain can last a long time if cared for properly or be destroyed very quickly if not (too tight quickly destroys a chain).

Remove the chain and check it for a link that is binding.
Chain has to bend far more to go around the counter-shaft sprocket then the rear.
Is likely a sealed chain and one of your seals is ka-put

Hi everyone,

so got the bike ready this past weekend and gave her a good clean, including chain (clean and lube). I noticed that after lubing it the chain was silent! I assumed this was due to lubing.

I took her out for a spine a couple of times since and out of curiosity i spun the wheel a little to see how it sounded and now i hear a clicking sound coming from the front sprocket again, as it did before i believe. Is this normal or could it be sign of damaged/worn out sprocket? Chain was replaced about 1.5 years ago from previous owner. Or is this totally normal for this bike? (2010 Ninja 250)

cheers!
A ninja 250 should go 30K or more before it needs a chain, probably 50K for sprockets if the chain is properly adjusted. It should have an O-ring chain -- you really don't need to lube them as they are sealed - no real benefit, sometimes leads to premature wear if you're not diligently cleaning as the chain lube holds grit that can cut attack orings (heat shields up). It is good to clean the grime off regularly.

As for clicking, there is a small amount of chain noise to be expected. If it's too loud it could be several things:
  1. Worn or loose drive sprocket - check that the sprocket isl locked down tightly
  2. Wrong chain size (yours takes a 520 however a 525 or 530 will fit but will have too much side to side travel making it noisy)
  3. Stretched chain (doubtful if it's n Oring unless you piled on 30K since the last change)

Not sure if this is relevant to your situation but my 2015 Ninja 300 made the same clicking noise from the front sprocket area, would be quiet after cleaning and lubing then returned after a few rides. Wasn't very loud but it was noticeable. I had it checked out and there was nothing wrong. Might be a "normal" sound from those bikes.

Thanks everyone,

the clicking is not really that loud, at least i don't think it is! Tried to take a vid of it but can't seem to be able to post it. As for the sprocket itself, i would need to uncover it, might do that later once my workday is done. This might be above my pay-grade! lol might just have to have someone check it for me. this is my first bike and plan on doing some wrenching myself this year starting with simple stuff, this might be above my technical ability though!

thanks!

Thanks everyone,

the clicking is not really that loud, at least i don't think it is! Tried to take a vid of it but can't seem to be able to post it. As for the sprocket itself, i would need to uncover it, might do that later once my workday is done. This might be above my pay-grade! lol might just have to have someone check it for me. this is my first bike and plan on doing some wrenching myself this year starting with simple stuff, this might be above my technical ability though!

thanks!
Post video on youtube, link here. Start with a pic of rear sprocket (imgur with link here can be simpler than posting on GTAM). They probably both have similar wear.

Thanks everyone,

thanks!
You should be cleaning in there behind the cover anyway.
Watch it make the noise.
and what is the frequency of the noise once every sprocket revolution or once every chain revolution?

Some chain drives make more noise than others. Don't have firsthand experience with a Ninja 250R, but some bikes have the front sprocket fastened in a way that allows it to slide a bit laterally on the shaft, which can make noise at low speeds.

If the front sprocket is fastened correctly, and the chain is adjusted and not bone dry, you're probably fine

Back
Top Bottom