Chain Cleaning -- what kind of gizmos or manual cleaning methods do you employ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Chain Cleaning -- what kind of gizmos or manual cleaning methods do you employ?

Triple

Site Supporter
I have been riding for too long (1987), and seem to always end-up with chain drive motorcycles. The only exception was a short love affair with an '01 BMW K1200RS, which ended in frustation due to the complicated, frequent, and *expensive* maintenance routine/schedule. Ironically, the shaft drive was the only easy thing to maintain on it!

My method for the past 25 years has been to simply (*and carefully*) wipe the chain down with a gear oil soaked rag as I spin the back tire by hand. Usually every 500 to 750 kilometres (depending on climate conditions), though sometimes I've let them go for over a 1000 kilometres. My chains have never looked too pretty, but have typically lasted me between 15,000 and 40,000 kilometers, so I suppose I'm doing something right.

What are you guys doing/using?

I thought that you have to clean the chain with kerosene.

I have been riding for too long (1987), and seem to always end-up with chain drive motorcycles. The only exception was a short love affair with an '01 BMW K1200RS, which ended in frustation due to the complicated, frequent, and *expensive* maintenance routine/schedule. Ironically, the shaft drive was the only easy thing to maintain on it!

My method for the past 25 years has been to simply (*and carefully*) wipe the chain down with a gear oil soaked rag as I spin the back tire by hand. Usually every 500 to 750 kilometres (depending on climate conditions), though sometimes I've let them go for over a 1000 kilometres. My chains have never looked too pretty, but have typically lasted me between 15,000 and 40,000 kilometers, so I suppose I'm doing something right.

What are you guys doing/using?

I do similar, "paint" the chain with a gear oil soaked paint brush, and wipe off excess. Chains have lasted 30K+, but I haven't been keeping bikes past that. Not sure how long they would last, but I don't need to adjust slack hardly ever.

I take the rear wheel off, rear sprocket and front sprocket. Dip the chain and sprockets in a bucket with kerosene, clean with a brush and a rag, put back on, lube and done! Doesn't even take that long. In the process I clean all the gunk off where the front sprocket is located.

Doesn't take long? That sounds pretty intense still. Do you use a pressure washer to fire the gunk in the crevices by the front sprocket? My toothbrush can only get in so far

Tirox chain cleaner (Pretty much kerosene in a spray bottle) and a grunge brush. Makes it shine :D

maxima chain cleaning kit. works great for me. i take a metal brush and clean it with that while using the spray kit.

maxima chain cleaning kit. works great for me. i take a metal brush and clean it with that while using the spray kit.

Be careful with a metal brush to not damage your O-rings though.

I thought that you have to clean the chain with kerosene.

Kerosene is amazing (from camping section of CanadianTire), and very cheap. Best part is that it evaporates quickly before you apply your lubricant of choice.
Dissolves most things I've thrown at it so if your cleaning something heavy greasy in the future and soap isn't cutting it (because whatever your cleaning is clumpy dirt or incredibly old)... go over with kerosene first and watch it melt away then soap to get that squeaky finish.

Great way to clean your chain:
1) take it for at least a 10 min ride... this will warm up your chain
2) put it on a rear stand or just move it every time you need access to another section of chain. Wipe the chain down heavy with a kerosene soaked cloth or strong paper towel. The warm chain helps your cleaner (or kerosene) penetrate and any road grease becomes more 'fluid' and easier to break up when warm
3) go for another 10 minute ride. This will warm up your chain and help evaporate any remaining cleaner. Since you can't fully clean the rings this won't cause any harm to your chain. Although, in the long run chains do go bad as a result of your rings drying out... that's why a proper lubricant is so important.
4) wipe down again with a dry cloth to remove any road dirt, it will me minimal but regardless don't do this down a construction heavy or sandy road. Optional to use an air spray can lightly from a distance
5) spray on your lubricant of choice (I use Dupont Teflon multi-use lubricant, the chain purpose stuff is insignificantly superior but gives you peace of mind). Make sure to spray between the chain links (from the top and bottom of your chain as it goes around).
6) let soak for a while then wipe off all excess. The outside surface of your chain can be as dry as you like

...don't use anything abrasive, with a proper solvent you wont need to. If you do, just be mindful.

I take the rear wheel off, rear sprocket and front sprocket. Dip the chain and sprockets in a bucket with kerosene, clean with a brush and a rag, put back on, lube and done! Doesn't even take that long. In the process I clean all the gunk off where the front sprocket is located.

Awesome....I'll do that every once in a while because it's nice to be thorough but for everyone else I doubt it significantly improves the life of your chain if you follow a proper schedule that includes checking for tight spots

Last edited:
Doesn't take long? That sounds pretty intense still. Do you use a pressure washer to fire the gunk in the crevices by the front sprocket? My toothbrush can only get in so far

Hey, no, I just use a rag and kerosene (or a toothbrush), I don't get much gunk build up in the front sprocket area though. Plus it's easy to clean with the sprocket off, plenty of room to get rid off anything. Taking the rear wheel off takes 45 seconds. The front sprocket and guard doesn't take long either.

Last edited:
This bad boy:

tirox_05b.jpg

http://www.tiroxproducts.com/

Dip the chain and sprockets in a bucket with kerosene
Never supposed to submerge the chain, kerosene can get past the orings and dissolve the grease packed inside the link shafts.

Be careful with a metal brush to not damage your O-rings though.
Any brush can push dirt past the orings into the packed link shaft grease. Never use ANY brush, no matter how soft.

This bad boy:
Just say no.

chain-inst_100-4.jpg

Last edited:
This from Canadian Tire (bike section) and a bottle of Febreze filled with kerosene

fin_grunge_brush_07_m.jpg

I prop up the bike, hit the chain with WD-40, about 6" at a time with a blue SHOP TOWEL paper towel underneath and with an old tooth brush, clean the dirt and old lube off it and move to the next 6". While its wet, I get my fingers into the rollers and rotate them to pull out the oil and dirt until they spin freely. When done I wet the shop towel with WD and rotate the wheel while wiping down the chain, I also clean the rear sprocket of grease and dirt as well when I do this (watch your fingers!). The chain cleans up nicely. I let it dry for a short while and then hit it with the chain lube. I'm currently using Worth saBesto HHS2000 Teflon lube. Bought it at a bike shop and it's the best stuff I've used in 20 years! Takes about 20 minutes and the chain looks new when done. I do this about every 4 - 5 tank fulls or when it looks like it needs it.

This from Canadian Tire (bike section) and a bottle of Febreze filled with kerosene

fin_grunge_brush_07_m.jpg

I use this, and any type of chain clean. Works fantastic!

I prop up the bike, hit the chain with WD-40, about 6" at a time with a blue SHOP TOWEL paper towel underneath and with an old tooth brush, clean the dirt and old lube off it and move to the next 6". While its wet, I get my fingers into the rollers and rotate them to pull out the oil and dirt until they spin freely. When done I wet the shop towel with WD and rotate the wheel while wiping down the chain, I also clean the rear sprocket of grease and dirt as well when I do this (watch your fingers!). The chain cleans up nicely. I let it dry for a short while and then hit it with the chain lube. I'm currently using Worth saBesto HHS2000 Teflon lube. Bought it at a bike shop and it's the best stuff I've used in 20 years! Takes about 20 minutes and the chain looks new when done. I do this about every 4 - 5 tank fulls or when it looks like it needs it.

Using wd-40 is not a good idea, it will damage your chain

Back
Top Bottom