certificaion | GTAMotorcycle.com

certificaion

gixrider

Hi, Im going to get my vintage 1972 Suzuki TS250 certified for the road, it did not come with turn signals when new, my question is does it need to have signals installed for a safety, in the past I have never had an issue with most real bike mechanics understand that and say they are not required pre-1975 if they were not fitted originally, any mechanics out there that could shed some light for me before I haul my bike to someone as there are no one to do safeties near me, thanks

I am envious!! I have been trying to find a 73 TS125 for ages and either they are priced ridiculously or too far away. Are you sure they werent equipped with signals when new? I know the 73's were and pics I see on a google search show some 72's with and some without (the withouts are actual pics, the withs are 'brochure' pics). I dont think it will matter much anyways since it is pre-75. I am just curious.

Sorry, didnt really answer your question.

I am envious!! I have been trying to find a 73 TS125 for ages and either they are priced ridiculously or too far away. Are you sure they werent equipped with signals when new? I know the 73's were and pics I see on a google search show some 72's with and some without (the withouts are actual pics, the withs are 'brochure' pics). I dont think it will matter much anyways since it is pre-75. I am just curious.

I have brochure pics of the 72 without signals for north america model, also my brand new ts250 that I bought new from the dealer did not have signals! good luck finding your ts 125! I had been looking for a 250 for a long time since it was my 1st bike, but there are not many in Canada left that arn't completely trashed!1972_TS250J_brochure_450.jpg

Last edited:
Not required if you don't mind hand signalling,
but you actually got short changed, they came with yellow lenses on the rear for Canada,
and I think the USA version had red lenses. All N.A. exports had mph speedometers.

YXdBcNgpHoH7zgNWKcEyxd7g-AyV0qnd21ufLHmy_d0uTwdp2lxJd0YDgUifZ4sVqtXSO0EYcYT3vjBLX9nnAQvhbg45NU71sIz-FuP1Ueg261TAVaq5jUk5_LfuXUuw3CcckTcA

I'm restoring a TC125 Prospector right now. A year ago they were everywhere -- now they are getting tough to find. I found a TS250 on Kijiji in April for $750, I gave him his asking price of $750, on my way to pick it up he retracted -- someone offered him $1500 sight unseen.

I am envious!! I have been trying to find a 73 TS125 for ages ....
Get the TS185 if you can, it's a better performer, virtually the same bike with more power.

I came close to a TS125 a while ago with a replacement tank but he wanted $1000 and wouldnt budge. Guess he got it because the ad disappeared.

Last edited:
Get the TS185 if you can, it's a better performer, virtually the same bike with more power.

I would seriously consider it if I could find one.

Lots of performance modifications you can do on that TS250 if you want btw.
The motor is very under-stressed and fairly mediocre-performing in completely stock form, steering head bearing is loose balls, swingarm bushing was just plastic. 21" front wheel was a typical upgrade for off-road and the stock rear shocks are just spring holders. Plenty of things you can do to make more power if you need it (y) Same motor and carb was used on Arctic Cat Lynx snowmobiles and those proved near indestructible (in stock form)

... if you are riding it on street you should true the brakes, it will make them work a lot better.
We also used to cross hatch the pad face with a hacksaw for the wet.

... the rear brake stay and actuating rod can be modified to reduce rear wheel hop too :|

... stock footpegs are almost dangerous and too far forward and the stock handlebars bend super easy (y) also good candidates for upgrade.
Hooker exhaust was nice and reasonable sound for period street legal use, if you can find one.

Last edited:
If it didn't have them when new, it doesn't need them for cert under grandfather clauses.

Be prepared to have this debate with the shop doing the certification however, depending on where you go. If they put the new kid on the job who's half the age of the bike they may try to fail it because they have zero idea motorcycles used to come without them.

I can sell him a set if he absolutely needs them.
.... now that I say that I would need to go look and make sure they still have zero cracks in the lenses.

It would actually be more legit legal without signals at all, then with signals that are damaged.

If it didn't have them when new, it doesn't need them for cert under grandfather clauses.

Be prepared to have this debate with the shop doing the certification however, depending on where you go. If they put the new kid on the job who's half the age of the bike they may try to fail it because they have zero idea motorcycles used to come without them.
yup, thats why I posted, some places are rediculous about stuff that has nothing to with the safety certs, dealt with some real morons over the years, most of my issue is finding the right mechanic who knows what hes doing without having to haul the bike a 100klms to find out im dealing with an idiot, the one shop thats near me doesnt do safeties anymore!

Lots of performance modifications you can do on that TS250 if you want btw.
The motor is very under-stressed and fairly mediocre-performing in completely stock form, steering head bearing is loose balls, swingarm bushing was just plastic. 21" front wheel was a typical upgrade for off-road and the stock rear shocks are just spring holders. Plenty of things you can do to make more power if you need it (y) Same motor and carb was used on Arctic Cat Lynx snowmobiles and those proved near indestructible (in stock form)

... if you are riding it on street you should true the brakes, it will make them work a lot better.
We also used to cross hatch the pad face with a hacksaw for the wet.

... the rear brake stay and actuating rod can be modified to reduce rear wheel hop too :|

... stock footpegs are almost dangerous and too far forward and the stock handlebars bend super easy (y) also good candidates for upgrade.
Hooker exhaust was nice and reasonable sound for period street legal use, if you can find one.
just want it stock and original for nostalgia, I had one brand new in 1972, the one I just picked up is a great survivor, just want to get it on the road for now and do a complete restore over winter time! came with a bunch of NOS stuff including piston and rings new cylinder barrel still in the original packaging! but it runs great so wont need that for a long time!ts1.jpg

Attachments

• ts2.jpg
    ts2.jpg
    565.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Not required if you don't mind hand signalling,
but you actually got short changed, they came with yellow lenses on the rear for Canada,
and I think the USA version had red lenses. All N.A. exports had mph speedometers.

YXdBcNgpHoH7zgNWKcEyxd7g-AyV0qnd21ufLHmy_d0uTwdp2lxJd0YDgUifZ4sVqtXSO0EYcYT3vjBLX9nnAQvhbg45NU71sIz-FuP1Ueg261TAVaq5jUk5_LfuXUuw3CcckTcA
that is NICE! my first real bike in 72 after my z50! mine was blue also but had to settle for an orange one this time around lol!

that is NICE! my first real bike in 72 after my z50! mine was blue also but had to settle for an orange one this time around lol!
stupid me, I should have looked in the original owners manual lol! it states that the turn signal indicator will not work because USA and Canada models do not come equiped with turn signals! doh!
"gixrider, post: 2687450, member: 87"]
[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom