Ceramic Coating for Paint Protection | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ceramic Coating for Paint Protection

Sochi

It's a bit too late for my moto, but my new Road (Velo) Bike is coming and I am thinking to have it coated with this Ceramic water repellent/protective film.
I am talking here about more expensive variety - liquid and required time to bond after application, not the cheaper bottle spray options.

Anyone here used it and what's the feedback - worth the money?
What brands you would recommend based on experience and availability in Canada?

here is the YT video what made me thinking about it :)
The brand he plugs is British and is not available (easily) in Canada from what I found so far..

Thanks.

There's a bunch of youtube videos about this, including some comparisons where they covered various parts of the same car in various types and brands of coatings and compared how well they worked and how long they lasted.

I was prompted to look at those when I bought a new car, and the dealer offered this as an option. It was crazy expensive, so I passed, but it led to the investigation, and I opted to use the do-it-yourself CMX stuff that you can get at Canadian Tire. The Mother's is supposed to be pretty good, too. I fully expect that this will have to be re-applied occasionally (probably spring and fall).

It seems to let the dirt slide off more easily. Aiming a strong jet of water at the car seems to get most of the dirt off, no sponges or car-wash-detergent or scrubbing needed. The roof and the right side of the car still make water bead up and roll off. Left side, not so much, but that was the first part of the car that I applied it, and probably didn't apply it as well there.

For how easy it is to re-apply, no big deal if it needs to be re-applied. It's the same kind of job as waxing.

It will not protect against stone chips. For that, there's no substitute for paint-protection film.

I put this stuff on myself. There was more than enough to do my new bike & car.
The car is gone, but the stuff is still working on the fjr like the day I applied it.
It's time consuming on an fjr because too much plastic. Took 11-12hrs total.....wash, clay bar, wash with alcohol, apply ceramic coating, and buff it off.
I'd do it again......saves hundreds, and washing with cold water is simple.

AvalonKing | Quality Automotive Ceramic Coating Products

Have a ceramic coating on my car - highly recommend, will apply to every new car I own.

I wonder how that works on shocks. EVERYTHING corrodes here ...even stainless steel and when I get a new ebike I think I'd like it done up with ceramic barrier. ( the whole bike )
I'm doing pepsi and aluminum foil on my current one tomorrow.

Don't know about the coke and foil thing, but i have used ACF50 for years. Developed for aircraft, it is really good stuff.

$30 and currently unavailable tho a good idea. Will chase further

Will try the Pepsi and aluminum foil but given EVERYTHING corrodes in this climate....worth chasing.

I have heard that Coke is capable of working on rust removal. Don't know if Pepsi will work.
Coke works great for extra traction on the paint surfaces when riding over cars.:)

Last edited:
Any of the modern rust sprays are good (rust check, fluid film, rust cure, etc) and can be had at most hardware stores or farm supply like TSC etc. It’s important to know they’re not one-and-done as they need to be reapplied.
Personally I use Rust Cure Formula 3000. Can find it at TSC and CT.
As for ceramic coating, real coating and not a spray on one, it depends what you’re expecting. It’s not going to stop paint chips on your road bike nor will dirt magically rinse away with a hint of water. It will help protect from fading and contaminants.

EVERYTHING corrodes here ....even stainless...looking for something to arrest the rot here.
Still chasing that Wingboy suggestion ....don't really need 4L.

EVERYTHING corrodes here ....even stainless...looking for something to arrest the rot here.
Still chasing that Wingboy suggestion ....don't really need 4L.
You might be able to get some at an airport.

I’m currently debating doing ceramic coating on my new work truck.
But here is my experience with a bicycle and ceramic. I installed a pre cut Expel ppf on my Trek Project One mountain bike. Then had an auto detailer friend do the ceramic coating. I can honestly say it did nothing as far as I can tell.
I was going to do the Adventure bike as it has a habit of getting dirty but I was quoted over $1000. I never got around to it. Now I just picked up a new truck last week and it’s black and it’s already driving me nuts. I’m contemplating doing the truck but as for a bicycle I would just used good old fashioned wax and detail spray. That’s all I use on all 6 of mine and they are used multiple times a week year round. When not in use they are on display in my office. So they are all kept clean as new.

I’m currently debating doing ceramic coating on my new work truck.
But here is my experience with a bicycle and ceramic. I installed a pre cut Expel ppf on my Trek Project One mountain bike. Then had an auto detailer friend do the ceramic coating. I can honestly say it did nothing as far as I can tell.
I was going to do the Adventure bike as it has a habit of getting dirty but I was quoted over $1000. I never got around to it. Now I just picked up a new truck last week and it’s black and it’s already driving me nuts. I’m contemplating doing the truck but as for a bicycle I would just used good old fashioned wax and detail spray. That’s all I use on all 6 of mine and they are used multiple times a week year round. When not in use they are on display in my office. So they are all kept clean as new.

Thanks for the feedback, so far I am planning to spend no more than $100-200 bucks adn apply it myself. New bicycle would be a good test as there is not much surface to cover and see if it does anything.

I found these cheap(er) products on Amazon with some reviews outside on the web and also as above mentioned I'd try AvalonKIng - about $200 bucks... I might apply diff products to diff parts of the frame to see the difference :)

Maybe check detailing retailers like eshine or prodetailingsupplies

Haven't done it myself but i know it works IF DONE RIGHT.

I have a foam pump cleaner/sprayer so i don't mind cleaning myself (and i don't have an easily accessible hose)

EDIT) you got me curious, i might try this guy
Shouldn't take too long to apply on a motorcycle, and i can use it on the bicycles too

Back
Top Bottom