CBR600r plastic rivets on hotbodies fairing stuck | GTAMotorcycle.com

CBR600r plastic rivets on hotbodies fairing stuck

darek_dadr

New to me 2007 CBR600 with racing fairings. The upper fairing is held together with plastic rivets.
all3.jpg

They have a middle pin that I think is supposed to release when pushed in.
closed-over.jpg

One of the pins was already pushed in but it's still holding the fairing in place
open-over.jpg
But it's still holding the fairing in place. I took pictures of what these rivets look like from underneath when closed:
closed-under.jpg

and pushed in:
open-under.jpg

I tried pushing in the closed ones with quite a bit of force but they don't budge (the pin is pretty small in diameter). Any ideas how to deal with these rivets?

There's a special tool - it looks like pliers with a notch. Any auto parts store should be able to help.

Sharp knife, cut away all the plastic that is on the inside of the fairing so you don't scratch your paint any more, replace with better fasteners, those ones are crap.

In the close-up, to me it looks like there is a little hex in the middle of the center pin. What happens if you turn that with a hex key? If it is a quarter-turn-type fastener, that might release it. If it works the way I suspect it does, the center part of the pin will pop out partway which releases a little catch on the backside of it and then you can pull it out. (Note: if it's what I suspect it is, the center part of the pin has to pop OUT in order to release it - not push in, which is what you described trying to do.)

Are there any of the pins where you can get to the backside of it, to push the center pin out from the back? Doing that, so that you can release that one pin and examine it outside, might give a clue to how the pin's mechanism works, and thus how you're supposed to release the ones that you can't get to the backside of.

I know why these fasteners are used ... they take half a second to install, maybe less, without tools. I hate them.

In the close-up, to me it looks like there is a little hex in the middle of the center pin. What happens if you turn that with a hex key? If it is a quarter-turn-type fastener, that might release it. If it works the way I suspect it does, the center part of the pin will pop out partway which releases a little catch on the backside of it and then you can pull it out. (Note: if it's what I suspect it is, the center part of the pin has to pop OUT in order to release it - not push in, which is what you described trying to do.)

Are there any of the pins where you can get to the backside of it, to push the center pin out from the back? Doing that, so that you can release that one pin and examine it outside, might give a clue to how the pin's mechanism works, and thus how you're supposed to release the ones that you can't get to the backside of.

I know why these fasteners are used ... they take half a second to install, maybe less, without tools. I hate them.
There is no hex in the pin, it's probably an imprint from when I was trying to push it in with a small hex key. I can't get to the back of any of the pins very easily.

Yeah I could reach one of them like that.
(y) is just a piece of mangled disposable plastic rivet, shear the tail off and the head will fall out.

Another option is to drill the centre out with about a 1/8" drill, although it will likely try to spin.

There are lots of cheapie rivets -- I think you have them. Same thing happened to me a while back, the shop used cheap one shot rivets instead of ordering reusables on my Busa.

Put an awl in the center and give it a push. The rivet lock pin should pop out the back and you can pull the head thru. Those are disposable, you will need to get new pushpins or rivets. You can get reusable locks for those fairings -- they are worth it.
1579039430967.png

Some of them I cut, some of them I drilled through. They're finally off. Thanks for help and I will replace them with the locks.

Back
Top Bottom