CBR125 Service Manual - What is CM Type? | GTAMotorcycle.com

CBR125 Service Manual - What is CM Type?

MaksTO

Hey all,

Just getting ready to pick up my CBR125 after it gets new tires installed + chain/sprockets + brake bleed and fluid re-up.

Flipping through the service manual and it often prefaces sections with "CM Type Only" or "Except CM Type".

Anyone know what this means? There's two different service schedules, one for each "type".

Google searches have not come up with anything useful so far. Some say "Canadian Model" some say "California Model"?

What year ? The early models (skinny tires) weren't imported into the U.S.

What year ? The early models (skinny tires) weren't imported into the U.S.
Mine is an ‘07, the manual is for that generation of bikes. I believe to 2010?. Seems there’s a difference still between some.

"Mine is an ‘07, the manual is for that generation of bikes. I believe to 2010?. Seems there’s a difference still between some."
Nothing significant, what has you worried ?

Bikes are usually referred to as 49 state or California, so I'm going with California market.
California has different EPA regulations than everyone else.
Canada gets 49 state bikes

Correct. Except CM is the designation used by Honda for the Canadian market. Can call it a 49 state bike with changes for Canada if you like.

I thought it might be California because of the EPA regs as well.

But Canada also makes sense because we winter store our bikes or ride them in the cold, meaning they might have different maintenance schedules?

Still wouldn’t explain why disassembling a part of the engine would be different for a Canadian bike vs an American one

In this case, there was no American model. It was never sold there.

Canadian model has reflectors, and the headlight circuit is a bit different and there might be different calibration in the ECU due to differing emission standards.

Canada market
Not sure CA stands for Canadian market. Had never heard of a Honda CA until this morning. Honda did make a CA125 and CA 250, they were the Honda Rebel's and were launched in the UK, not Canada. Only know that because I did a little research on Honda Rebel's as a friend is bringing one over tomorrow morning to get some help with repairs. They did stop production well before 2007 so the references in a 2007 shop manual seems somewhat confusing to me. Just thinking out loud, don't proclaim to be and expert on the matter.

This isn't part of the "name" of the bike, it's part of a production code used for manufacturing purposes. The workshop manual uses a piece of that production code (in this case, the two characters "CM") to designate the particular variation of that bike which was sold in the Canadian market.

CM probably comes equipped with a closed loop crankcase ventilation and collection canister. There are additional service items when you fit a motor with positive crankcase ventilation. Otherwise the big difference up here is the colour of the signal lights (needs yellow rear signals) and kilometres on the speedometer instead of miles and those don't really imply any additional scheduled maintenance.

No charcoal canister on these ... that's a California thing, and since this particular model was never sold in the USA, there is no evap system designed in, nevermind installed. Crankcase vent is the same as any other bike ... a simple hose connecting the crankcase to the airbox. Same hose worldwide.

I have one of these bikes (next generation model, but it's mechanically similar) and I have that factory CD-ROM with a searchable PDF file on it. Hmmm...

From page one of the English section ... there is a chart, "type code", which correlates that model code to where the bike was intended to be sold.
E = UK and Ireland (this will have a mile-per-hour speedo and the odometer in miles, relative to the "base" model, and the headlight will be tailored for driving on the other side of the road ... the reflector and thus the beam pattern is different)
F = France (unknown what the difference is relative to a general european model)
ED = Europe
U = Australia (headlights tailored for driving on the other side of the road)
II G = Germany (again, unknown what the difference is relative to a general european model)
CM = Canada

"Model Identification" on page 1-2 .., shows an illustration of what the bike looks like. "Except CM and U" ... the illustration doesn't have the reflectors that Canada (CMVSS108) prescribes, dunno what's visibly different about an Australian model.

Evidently CM and U models have a different VIN registration label. I know why the Canadian model has a different label. I suspect Australia has their own set of motor vehicle standards as well, thus the label is again different.

CM models have emission control labels that rest-of-world models don't have. CM models have a different safety standard compliance label.

For some unknown reason the CM model has a 10 kg lower load capacity.

In the lubricant specifications the CM type specifies the API oil classification. The "A" stands for "American" .... i.e. the rest of the world doesn't care, and we only care because our stuff is the same as the US stuff. Viscosity and other specifications (e.g. JASO) are the same. (i.e. it's the same oil except for that specification label)

There is a similar difference in the coolant specification. Again, probably the same actual stuff, only a difference in how it is specified.

There is a difference in the wording of the "noise emission control system" paragraph for the U model (australia). I don't have the parts list but I betcha the muffler is the same part ... it might have different words stamped onto it because of something different that Australia does. "thou shalt have these words upon thy muffler"

There are several paragraphs particular to the CM model that pertain to the emission control systems. The actual parts on the bike appear to be exactly the same. Again, something in the Canadian regs probably says "thou shalt have these words inside thy service manual" and it doesn't apply in the rest of the world.

Page 2-2 "Body panel locations" there an "except CM and U" ... the illustration doesn't show the reflectors that Canada prescribes via CMVSS108. I have a funny feeling that the Australian regs also prescribe those reflectors.

There are two maintenance schedules, one for "except CM" and one for "CM". For some reason they want more frequent oil changes on the Canadian model. (Who would seriously go 8000 km between oil changes on a hard-working little engine that doesn't have an oil filter??)

Page 19-5, the CM model has different turn signals. Long stalks and a slightly differently shape.

Wiring diagrams are different but I haven't the patience to track down all of the exact differences. Headlight switch is a prime suspect but at first glance it looks the same. Turn signal bulb wattages are different and that is confirmed. At least at first glance, that's the only difference.

Out of time ...

@Brian P Thanks for the extended response!

So basically CM is moreso a legal formality it seems, but small differences exist which shouldn't affect the maintenance too much, short of proper winterisation and oil changes etc assuming the colder climate of Canada.

Haven't picked up the 125 yet, seems Honda is taking their time sending sprockets, at least according to the shop. Once I get it hopefully I'll get a feel for how it's doing in its entirety at its 23k mileage. Mechanic said I don't need to come for valves at 24k as long as its not knocking - seems like the service schedule is pretty lax and circumstantial on a bike that age/mileage depending on its sound/feel?

Back
Top Bottom