CBR125 Question | GTAMotorcycle.com

CBR125 Question

stnd

Site Supporter
I am trying to help a friend buy a CBR125 as this would be her first bike and wants me to ok it before buying it. I am used to riding 600s and yesterday when I test drove one it felt so weak I thought something was wrong with the bike. So I am not sure if it is the 13hp or engine that is tripping me up.

First gear just felt flat no matter how i revved it, and it would get going, around 8k i would shift to 2nd and from 2nd on it felt better.

I am 6'1" and 230lb she is 5'6" and 110lb.

I guess my question is does first gear on the 125 feel really useless? I think the 50cc scooters I've ridden have taken off better.

Don't worry, people who own 1000s have the same feeling when riding a 600.

...I thought something was wrong with the bike...

No, there's nothing wrong with the bike :) I've had my since last June. I do know that when starting off from 1st, I have to shift into 2nd very quickly otherwise the engine really revs. It's taken me a while to get used to this fact. I'm still getting to know my bike, but perhaps if you check out the CBR125 forum, someone with more experience will be able to answer your question better (?)

BTW. I really enjoy my CBR, and would *highly* recommend it as a first motorcycle.

Quite frankly, I don't understand what some of the other people who responded were getting at.

No, there's nothing wrong with the bike :) I've had my since last June. I do know that when starting off from 1st, I have to shift into 2nd very quickly otherwise the engine really revs. It's taken me a while to get used to this fact. I'm still getting to know my bike, but perhaps if you check out the CBR125 forum, someone with more experience will be able to answer your question better (?)

BTW. I really enjoy my CBR, and would *highly* recommend it as a first motorcycle.

Quite frankly, I don't understand what some of the other people who responded were getting at.

Thank you. I agree that it would be a great bike for her.

I think they thought I was being arrogant about weaker bikes when all I wanted to do was get some information so I can help my friend buy her first bike.

Let's say that you will need to red line all the time for the bike to really start moving :)

1st gear is really disappointing...and yes after hitting 2nd gear, the bike starts to really move or shall I say "kick" in.

I used to have a 600 myself and downgraded to a 125.

Feelsbadman.

The powerband is high up, those 13 horses are in the 10-11K indicated range. Launch it at high RPMs, just watch out for clutching it up and shift before 40km/h cause that's the end of 1st!

When in 1st gear, you just have to remember:

there-is-no-spoon.jpg

You weigh too much to expect that bike to have any zest to it. But if you'd like, I can test the bike out with you and your friend, since I still have my 125r, and am accustomed to how it SHOULD ride.

But to answer your question, first gear on the weeber is to get the bike moving. As soon as the wheel begins to make it's rotation, you should be considering jumping into second.

I'm in Mississauga.

Let's say that you will need to red line all the time for the bike to really start moving :)

OP. I'm not sure that statement is necessarily true. For myself, I don't believe I've ever had to "red line", and I do move. However, a more experienced rider did test my bike for me, and he did. I suppose it depends on what type/kind of rider the person is; what kind of "moving" you want to do (?) I'm not out to win any races, just ride and get home safely, that's all.

I find I shift mine at about 7500 rpm in between every gear. I do not find it particularly weak in first gear, but a quick shift into second at 7500 rpm will lighten the front wheel. As will feeding the clutch in just so with the right revs in first gear. BTW, I'm 6'1" and just under 200 lbs. It is certainly capable of keeping ahead of most traffic around town, pulling away from lights. Just not 600 cc plus bikes.

Having said all that, it just doesn't have the pull of my other two bikes, or the character, so it is going to have to go. But an excellent starter bike, light, quick handling and quite forgiving.

I shift mine at 10,000 rpm wide open throttle, every gear, pretty much all the time.

Can't do *that* with a 600 and keep your driver's license ...

Thanks for all the replies. I went out and tried another one and it was the same. The bike has been purchased and she loves it.

Bike we is about 280 lbs. So the weight of a rider makes a huge difference.

Glad she likes it, they are a fun little bike.

Thanks for all the replies. I went out and tried another one and it was the same. The bike has been purchased and she loves it.
lol hey Lucas

Back
Top Bottom