CBC news story on "weaving" motorcyclist sought by police | GTAMotorcycle.com

CBC news story on "weaving" motorcyclist sought by police

I'm just cracking up thinking of being the rider... seeing the cherries in your mirrors, acceptance of doom thinking the cop was paying attention to everything you just did, pulling over... and the cop sails past

tabernac!

That rider maintained a nice blocking position throughout!

10/10

Would watch again

I can't imagine what response a wheelie would entice.
There's just no way for them to convict the actual rider of any wrong doing, even if they did catch him.

They should go after the guy but the press on this is some serious over hyping. I'd say that "weaving" through traffic is a stretch there. Speeding is what I saw.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...gh-traffic-caught-on-police-dashcam-1.3051815

I can't figure out what the issue is here. They guy crossed a double yellow passing on a blind corner -but is this really police manhunt material?

You need to understand, in Quebec, there's a "war" being waged on all motorcyclists, not just gang members. Anybody on 2 wheels is targeted as an undesirable. Insurance and licensing fees are extremely prohibative. Get pulled over on your bike, and they'll throw the book at you, especially if you're from out of province. I avoid riding in Quebec like the plague.

Last edited:
You need to understand, in Quebec, there's a "war" being waged on all motorcyclists, not just gang members. Anybody on 2 wheels is targeted as an undesirable. Insurance and licensing fees are extremely prohibative. Get pulled over on your bike, and they'll throw the book at you, especially if you're from out of province. I avoid riding in Quebec like the plague.

+1 on this I have dealt with a few forces, from Quebec, over the years. A VERY different policing attitude there, as well. The QPP are a breed unto themselves. People think police here are bad, then don't go or move to Quebec..lol. This is also in the same area as the incident involving the two fools who video taped themselves last year at 200Km+.

Dude passed the car, and most likely because car slowed down suddenly... It is easier to notice cherries in a car with overhead rear-view mirror, then on a bike... So, cager sees cherries, slows down suddenly and pulls towards the shoulder - biker at this point doesn't see cherries and gets around the car as a defensive move, then continues rather aggressively... Speeding is all they could have on him.
I also agree 100% QPP is one nasty bunch. I used to love La belle province, now I don't even want to travel through it. Not kidding.

+1 on this I have dealt with a few forces, from Quebec, over the years. A VERY different policing attitude there, as well. The QPP are a breed unto themselves. People think police here are bad, then don't go or move to Quebec..lol. This is also in the same area as the incident involving the two fools who video taped themselves last year at 200Km+.

The Surete du Quebec are the biggest pricks in Canada. They make US border guards seem friendly and accommodating. An old friend of mine had her car parked in her driveway in Montreal many years ago, because she decided to take it off the road, living in the city. She was ticketed by a passing Surete du Quebec prick because the expired plates, were still on the car.

Quebec considers itself a separate nation, we're all aware of that, yes? Their judicial system is based on Napoleonic codes, which means you are guilty when charged, and you have to prove yourself innocent, as opposed to innocent until proven guilty. The judges seem to work for the police.

I go to Montreal frequently on my bike and I've never had a single issue. I even had a cop at a red light look over and say nice bike. :dontknow:

I go to Montreal frequently on my bike and I've never had a single issue. I even had a cop at a red light look over and say nice bike. :dontknow:

Here are some excerpts/quotes from an English tourist about his experience in Quebec and the Surete du Qubec while riding his c90(!). My experience with the Surete was much the same: arrogant prick of a cop; huge, unreasonable fines. I avoid riding in Quebec like the plague: (http://canadamotoguide.com/2015/04/14/eds-march-across-canada-quebec/)

"...Now this wouldn’t be problem, because surely the police that turned up would be the same as the logical and friendly police we’d met in all the other English-speaking provinces? Oh no (x5) …

Canada is the 36th country that I’ve ridden through on my little 90, and the first 34 countries were all non-English speaking, so it’s safe to say that I’ve learnt how to deal with cops. Almost all of them are humans and as long as you act calm and massage their egos if required, all will be fine. But not in this case. Right from the word go he was very arrogant and hostile – not enough to allow you to make a complaint, but enough to assert all of his authority.

He immediately called for a tow truck to collect the bikes and take them off the highway in perfectly fluent English. However, the second that I — as tactfully as possible — told him that standard Quebec rules do not apply to us, and tried to explain why, he would promptly switch to French and start arguing with me.

Now this particularly annoyed me. My French is passable for everyday use, but my vocabulary is somewhat lacking when it comes to traffic law. And as one of us is paid to know traffic law and obviously was fluent in English, it just stank of arrogance. He would selectively switch to French whenever he wanted to ensure I couldn’t argue back.

Sure enough the tow truck arrived and we were forced to pay $200 for the truck to take us to the inspection centre, even though it was only 3km away and we were basically on the off-ramp. But that didn’t matter, anything I said would have just been met with a torrent of French. So on the truck we went.

At the inspection centre we were ordered to put the bikes through an inspection to pass the Quebec safety test. It’s worth noting that because of different country requirements, even a brand new UK bike won’t pass a Quebec test. But once again, let’s not apply logic here, let’s just bark French at the travellers who just love spending $170 on a test that no foreign bike will pass anyway.

Of course the bikes failed and then they were taken away on the same truck to an impound yard where, despite a now reduced rate of $100, we were still a total of $470 worse off, and trying to find out what we do now. The policeman had left by this point, which to be honest was a good thing as his mere presence made my faith in the human race lower.

So now I’ll do the helpful thing and explain Quebec traffic law, as there’s a chance it’ll help you if you decide to ride through there in future (it’s worth noting that I never will again out of principle)....

I’m a fair guy. Yes our bikes look daft and we draw attention, but we also meet everyone with a smile and this experience in Quebec is the worst I have ever had in any country – even Switzerland (it’s a long story, but they act the same).

I’m sure this experience will draw a lot of opinions, some that agree with me and some that don’t, but the thing that I think is inexcusable, is switching from perfect English to French, raising his voice whenever his authority was challenged, just so I couldn’t argue against his absolute power. It left a very sour taste in both our mouths.

To add insult to injury, we were told that our bike were now banned from Quebec roads and our number plates were on the database of banned vehicles. Technically I know that our bikes aren’t actually banned, but I’d had enough of dealing with arrogant police and didn’t fancy another arbitrary $500 fine that couldn’t be contested due to lengthy court battles.

So what happened next? Well we turned to Facebook of course. I put a post up saying that our bikes were now banned from Quebec roads and we needed help to leave Canada and get to the U.S.A. What followed was mostly Canadians saying “We’re so sorry about Quebec, we hate riding there too” and “please don’t leave Canada because of Quebec, go to the east coast , they’re much friendlier”.

These comments made us laugh and made us feel better at the time, but there was also quite a few comments from Quebecers saying “We hate the police too”. And that helped us get a different view of the situation and not hate the entire province. There were also some Quebecers who wanted to help us out. One guy called Gabriel even crammed our two C90’s into his car and took us all the way to Quebec City in the hope that’s we’d have a better experience there.

Once in Quebec City we were dropped off at a friend’s house. We’d met Alain at a bike show a few months previously and he’d asked us to stay. Alain and his family were amazing and they made us feel very welcome. The hospitality was awesome and due to being without transport he even dropped us into the city in the morning and picked us up in the evening to allow us to explore the sights ourselves.

Quebec city was beautiful and reminded us of European cities, plus we both agreed the food was the best we’d had on the trip so far. However, there was one thing that really, really bothered me about Quebec, this:
They’ve banned motorcycles from the centre of Quebec City, only 4 wheeled vehicles are allowed.I was just about ready to accept that this province wasn’t for me, but every time I saw one of these signs, I wasn’t so sure. I eventually found out they’ve banned all bikes because of biker gang problems in the city around 30 years ago. And while there’s a particularly strange form of logic that can be drawn there, I can’t help but think that if car gangs became a major problem, they’d never ban cars because too many voters drive them. But maybe I’m just cynical.

Anyway, I kept telling myself “it’s just the police and the government, it’s not the people” and eventually after some more lovely food, my anger subsided and I was ready to enjoy myself once more and also leave Quebec province. But how to do it was an issue as we were still illegally declared as illegal. Oh no, I’ve gone cross-eyed.

Luckily Alain’s son came to the rescue. He not only borrowed a truck, but gave us a 300km lift to the border of New Brunswick! We said our goodbyes to our lovely hosts and enjoyed a farewell meal before loading the bikes into the truck and heading for freedom.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is where I will leave this article. I will also issue a word of warning for the comments section below:

I do not like blanket racism or Xenophobia, if you have also had a bad experience in Quebec then feel free to detail it below if you wish, after all, the truth has never hurt anyone and it might even help instigate change. But please do not tar all Quebecois with the same brush. All the civilians we met were lovely, in fact even the towing guy felt sorry for us and let us stay in a trailer in his impound for free.

Will I be back to Quebec? In a word, no. I’ve learnt my lesson and it’s clear that neither us or our little 90’s are welcome by the officials. We’ve even heard the same from a lot of other travellers who rode through the province with foreign plates – even the shiniest of big bikes.

But like I said before, our experience of the actual people was nothing less than lovely. Okay, we’re $470 worse off, but we’ve still got our health and we’ve now got another story to tell. I’ll leave you with a photo of us in our lovely accommodation in the impound lot.
See you next time folks as we explore the Maritimes, and keep smiling."

Last edited:
Good to know about Quebec. Never had a problem there myself but I've only been to Montreal like twice and never on my bike.

I also don't see much worth a manhunt in this video. One sketchy pass (I probably see something fairly similar at least twice a year or so) and some speeding.

I've been to Gautenau once on the bike. Through the park there. Dang. I never knew it was *that* bad

they’ve banned motorcycles from the centre of Quebec City, only 4 wheeled vehicles are allowed.I was just about ready to accept that this province wasn’t for me, but every time I saw one of these signs, I wasn’t so sure. I eventually found out they’ve banned all bikes because of biker gang problems in the city around 30 years ago. And while there’s a particularly strange form of logic that can be drawn there, I can’t help but think that if car gangs became a major problem, they’d never ban cars because too many voters drive them. But maybe I’m just cynical.

I have friends in QC, and the reason why they banned bikes was partially because of the excessive noise from biker gangs on Harleys, but that got fixed with an RCMP crackdown of biker gang activity. The problem got replaced with tools coming out of clubs at 2am on sports bikes and doing burnouts , stunting, etc. Quebecers love bikes, but they use bikes to piss people off.

The city held off on this for years, because of impact to tourism, but it was the residents who pushed forward on bike bans because they couldn't take it any more.

This is coming in Ontario, between the LPSL a-holes and the Akra red-light blipping a-holes, these attention seeking peacocks will ruin it for all riders,

Guys this is a pressing issue. We must identify the rider who is responsible for this heinous act.

This is coming in Ontario, between the LPSL a-holes and the Akra red-light blipping a-holes, these attention seeking peacocks will ruin it for all riders,

Where do you think they will try to ban bikes here? Forks of the Credit River, perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom