CB500F Struggling to Start | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

CB500F Struggling to Start

Throw another battery on with a set of jumper cables, if it makes a difference your battery sucks, if it makes no difference it's not the battery.

:LOL: I always go straight for the bush fix.

Throw another battery on with a set of jumper cables, if it makes a difference your battery sucks, if it makes no difference it's not the battery.

:LOL: I always go straight for the bush fix.
Well if you are going bush fix, ether or propane should get it to run but that's not always the best plan.

I don't understand people not wanting to work on their own bikes :unsure: way too much fun to pay somebody else to do it,
it's nothing like working on a rusty old car and some sick ******** even do that!

I don't understand people not wanting to work on their own bikes :unsure: way too much fun to pay somebody else to do it,
it's nothing like working on a rusty old car and some sick ******** even do that!
plenty of people value their time over money. others lack natural wrenching intuition and even more don't have the space available to wrench.

A large percentage of the GTA population lives in condos or with street parking only. Not having any space available is a real bummer.

ya, that would make it difficult.
I lived in an apartment building for 6 months, not fun, it was very hard to get bikes up the elevator unnoticed.

I expected you to take the stairs.
Trials bike ya no problem (y) street bikes and MX bikes suck on stairs unless it's a long straight run.
I would pay extra to live on the ground floor, park it on the imaginary balcony. ... and defend it ferociously

Before you spend any money on this at a dealer get the 6 year old battery load tested or just replace it as a PM item as it is due anyway. Clean the battery terminals too.

I can’t believe a 6 year bike with 20k km on it could possibly need to have its compression tested.

I can’t believe a 6 year bike with 20k km on it could possibly need to have its compression tested.
I doubt that's the problem (unless low compression is due to valve adjustment) but it's easy to check and fits the symptoms. It's not a bad idea to test the battery but imo with the information we have been provided, that doesn't fit the symptoms.

Even a compression test on a brand new bike is not a waste of time, it gives you a base line for testing it 20 years from now. Plus if one cylinder is different then another you located a problem.

Y'all know how easy it is to do a compression test once you have the tool to do it, right?
You unscrew a spark plug, bung the compression test thing into the spark plug hole and turn the motor over with the kick or electric start for several rotations, then you read the dial. You don't even need to start the engine :|

I would have to agree that it isn't the battery, it appears to be cranking well - if it isn't the battery, a compression test is a fairly easy cost free check.

but it is a 6 year old battery...

Im guessing it might have a tight valve. I know its been serviced, but some mechanics only check for loose valve clearances in their haste to get a job done. a tight valve can wreak havoc on an otherwise good engine - gases can pass by a tight valve; this can show up as a slightly low compression on the affected cyl..

best luck!

Last edited:
FFS - pull the battery and have it load tested.
As others have mentioned its the first, quickest, easiest thing to check.
Any auto parts store, CTC or local motorcycle shop should be able to do it.
Until that's done, IMO you're just p*ssing in the wind.

FFS - pull the battery and have it load tested.
As others have mentioned its the first, quickest, easiest thing to check.
Any auto parts store, CTC or local motorcycle shop should be able to do it.
Until that's done, IMO you're just p*ssing in the wind.
Too easy. Lol.

yes^
at 6 years old it could be on its way out now, or in a year.
if money isn't tight right now, I would simply replace it and know my battery is good for a long while. its the kind of preventative maintenance that makes sense and can prevent a no start situation when you least want it.

If he's willing to tell us after we should all guess at how much his bill is going to be, I'm going with 428$ for parts labour and taxes included.

... and they won't give him any credit for the old battery, like a battery shop does.

If he's willing to tell us after we should all guess at how much his bill is going to be, I'm going with 428$ for parts labour and taxes included.

... and they won't give him any credit for the old battery, like a battery shop does.

There's no rebate - the recyclers take them away as a courtesy but there isn't enough material in them.

There's no rebate - the recyclers take them away as a courtesy but there isn't enough material in them.
Last time I bought a motorcycle battery for my MV they had 2 prices, one with trade one without. I went to a battery store in Gananoque if that makes any difference. The guy said he didn't even care if it was the same size battery, just had to be a lead acid battery, ymmv. I think he was pretty serious about charging me extra if I didn't have a trade-in.

All might change with covid, I think the whole world might change.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom