Carrying a camera (SLR/Mirrorless) - vibration issues? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Carrying a camera (SLR/Mirrorless) - vibration issues?

OntFF

Looking for thoughts, opinions and experiences... I ride a BMW F750gs - and am an amatuer photographer...

I'm looking to carry my camera with me when I'm out, but I'm concerned about the vibration. I shoot a Canon EOS-R; in a padded Canon over the shoulder bag.

Anyone here carry their camera; and how do you pack/carry it? Any issues with vibrations messing with the camera / lens? My camera bag would fit in the side-cases (BMW Vario) without issue, but don't know if that's the best way to carry it...

Looking for thoughts, opinions and experiences... I ride a BMW F750gs - and am an amatuer photographer...

I'm looking to carry my camera with me when I'm out, but I'm concerned about the vibration. I shoot a Canon EOS-R; in a padded Canon over the shoulder bag.

Anyone here carry their camera; and how do you pack/carry it? Any issues with vibrations messing with the camera / lens? My camera bag would fit in the side-cases (BMW Vario) without issue, but don't know if that's the best way to carry it...

I carry mine in a Tamrac padded insert case or a couple of different padded Ape Cases depending on what I carry. It’s usually in my touratech side cases on top of a spare t shirt or something for extra cushioning. No issues that I can see.

I use to bring my Canon SLR and assorted lens with me in my saddle bag (whole camera backpack fits in my saddlebag). Never noticed any issues with the camera afterwards. But honestly it became a pain to pull out and shoot a few quick shots, iphone became my go to. Unless you are going someplace specific to take shots then that's different.
BTW my Canon is a 5D mark III with pro lens in case you want to compare. Packed in a sling style backpack.

My MFT cameras and lenses travel in the my tank bag or top case for the big lens - padded bag for the big lens and the bottom of the little 7L tank bag is padded. Camera, extra lens, extrs phone batteries, power pack and can of tuna for a snack.
Needs to be easy access in my view so when the opportunity comes up it's right there.
Screen Shot 2022-05-13 at May, 13    2022    1.30.21 PM.jpg
The camera and 45-175 ( 350 mm equiv ) are less than 2 lb and very small.
Panasonic Lumix GX1
I'd recommend a tank bag for your use and two lenses. I do use the phone at times but not so much for birds and wildlife. I like to have macro at distance by having the smaller zoom so you don't scare the subject away.
Screen Shot 2022-05-13 at May, 13    2022    1.33.52 PM.jpg
Really depends on the physical size of your camera for the size of the tank bag but I thnk some extra padding would be good if a heavier camera.

I have a Nikon DSLR (hobbist) and I have taken it a couple of times with me on rides. The main gripe with carrying a DSLR is the effort it takes to pull out the camera and shoot, and put it back in. You repeat this process a few times and it adds up really quickly into riding time/trip time. Like @sburns said unless I'm going anywhere specific I don't carry my DSLR.

I think a DSLR can take small vibrations. It's built pretty sturdy. But in the long run, it might affect the focus system. If you do want to carry a DSLR around, I would suggest investing in a camera backpack. Also, MFTs are a good option.

Talking about vibration, I use my phone to navigate using google maps. After riding, if I turn on the camera - it cannot focus. I slap it a couple of times against my palm and it magically starts working...

I use a bag similar to this one.
Never had an issue.
You can get cheaper versions on Amazon as well.

I have a Nikon D5100 that I carry on my KLR. I just pop the Lowepro Nova camera bag inside my tank bag, leaving the camera bag unzipped. Takes maybe 2 seconds to open the zip on the tank bag, reach in and pull out the camera. The camera goes into the camera bag lens first but there are foam supports that the camera body rests on to keep the tip of the lens above the floor of the bag, so any vibrations/shocks are transmitted to the body, not the lens. In 10 years of KLR riding I've never had any issues, aside from scratches on the external viewfinder screen (hard to use the eyepiece wearing a full face helmet...)

Tank bags rock for having the camera at hand. Gx1 with 14-42 lens ( 28-84 mm equiv ), Zeiss binocs fro West Germany ( you can figure out how long I've had those ), 45-175 (90-350 equiv ), spare battery, spare phone, powerbrick and cables, tuna snack. cables, disinfectant and travel pills ( pain and sinus ). Gate opener in the top window...all in 7L Oxford tank bag ( there is a cover tucked in there too )
Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at May, 18    2022    4.29.30 PM.jpg

and a couple of decent shots today on a 440 km loop.
Teased out a good photo in a cluttered field of view. I will figure out its name soon.
Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at May, 18    2022    4.35.14 PM.jpg
a lovely shag bark gum. One of my fav Aus trees...I just love the variety and colour of the gums.
1652857039132.png

while eating lunch. If you have to dig the camera out, if it's too heavy or fragile fugedaboudit.
Camera always at hand a once in a while I get a life time chance.
babblers best.jpg
It's a rare day trip I don't take a shot or two and they serve as memory aides about trip. Even if it's a shot of a decent meal. We run our travel photos in random order on multiple screens when I'm working or we're having dinner.
It's fun to try and recall where and when the shot was taken. I think it's an important part of the riding adventure, should be point and shoot and not a lot of effort to take decent quality photos.

Even the bigger cameras are worth having at hand rather than tucked away or gathering dust.
Phones are great for social or panorama shots these days....but a zoom gives you a lot more range of subject matter.

Last edited:
I've never been concerned about vibrations with my camera gear. I've carried my gear in many different ways. Straight into the saddle bags, in the top case wrapped with a shirt. More often now, I just keep a small padded camera bag in the top case. If I know I'll be out taking lots of photos, I'll strap my camera bag to the passenger seat for easier access in the photo below.
bgeNP5i.jpg

I know phones cameras are pretty amazing these days but I often regret not taking a DSLR when I come across some amazing scenery.

The rare day I don't take my camera, I come across scenery like this and I'm stuck with a phone camera image I can't print/enlarge.
SHzxfM4.jpg

Same as @MacDoc - MFT (GX1) in tank bag, with very little padding - never had an issue...
It helps that GX1 is 10 years old now, even if something happens to it, I won't lose sleep over it...

I do keep a small dry bag in the tank bag - when it starts to rain, I throw camera in there, just in case...

Easy access is deciding factor for me...

Good idea ...especially for my lenses in the tank bag.

It helps that GX1 is 10 years old now,

Yep - the climate here in tropical Australia is brutal on electronics and my orginal GX1 failed "sort of" ....worked on most settings but wanted to over expose too often. Still have it as a backup and bought a second out of Japan with fresh OEM battery ( not cheap item ) the much better 14-42 Second Gen lens which is almost as small as a 20 mm prime and my go to everyday lens - slots perfectly below the 45-175 X lens and the whole package under 2 lb.. All for I think $220 shipped - some other useful bits too and was pristine.
Panasonic LUMIX DMC GX1 16.0MP Digital SLR w/ 14-42mm JAPAN 210069

That was always the good bit about MFT ...lens and body separate so if one fails you don't toss the whole thing like a super Zoom.
We carry two camera's and partner has a good eye so we can mix better lens with slightly lesser camera ( Gx1 vs Gx7)
The Gx7 stays in the camera bag but the climate knocked out the touch screen which I rarely ever use anyways.
The big feature for me is focus peaking on the Gx7 ...especially with the Leica 100-400...my splurge.
Panasonic GX7 Review

The object you want sharp is outlined in blue at best focus point.....

I have carried mine on my bike several time. I just put it in a camera bag. if just a camera and single lens then just a small hip case i put it in my side hard bag. if camera and couple lenses. I use my fanny bag and put it in my trunk. never had any issues.

Back
Top Bottom