Carb Compatibility | GTAMotorcycle.com

Carb Compatibility

Maverick95

Site Supporter
I need new carbs for my 97 gsxr 600. One of the jet holder threads broken off inside the cast and is unable to be removed so far. You need some sort of thread remover small enough to grab the thread but go around the jet pin. So we tried everything from JB welding the jet holder in place, to gasoline-proof gluing the stupid thing on there. Nothing has worked.

Now I came across a cheap set but it has a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) on them. My bike doesn't. But the carbs are for the same bike. So I was wondering if you can take the TPS off these carbs, or mod it in a way that they can fit on my bike?
Unless of course if anyone has a set of 97-00 GSXR 600/750 carbs they'd like to sell me? I really just need ONE carb. Thanks for any input.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk

If the replacement set of carbs has a TPS that your bike doesn't need, it can be left in place and simply ignored, not connected to anything.

Don't try to replace just one carb. If you are going to change them, change the whole rack of four. It is virtually certain that carbs for a different model year will have different calibration - and the calibration is not just the size of the jets and the shape of the needle but also the shape of the bottom of the vacuum slide and the size and position of the little holes that transition between the idle circuit and the main circuit by giving a little extra fuel as you open the throttle. If you have one carb that is differently calibrated from the other three, you'll never get it to run right. For that matter, if the calibration details of the replacement carbs are different enough from the originals, that's still true. You are almost certain to need some rejetting work.

Thanks Brian, I'm gonna see if my dad's shop can get the broken thread out of the casting. Hopefully they have some sort of tool or extractor that can go around the jet pin and grab the broken thread to pull it out. That will save me over $200 in getting a new set of carbs and the hassle of looking for new ones.

Back
Top Bottom