Car tire on a bike?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Car tire on a bike??

Nice big contact patch there when leaned over.

Know how the steering feels on your bike when the rear tire has gone flat in the middle? Rubbish, right? This has to be worse ...

Video does a pretty good job of explaining the physics of why this is A Bad Thing.

i1cYXPA.jpg

This guy tried Deals Gap on a darksided DL650

Too many people run darkside and have been doing so successfully (IE, "unplanned uninstallation" isn't a common thing, I couldn't find any references to it actually with an admittedly cursory search although I'm sure they're out there) and with excellent things to say about it (Most say they can't even tell after a period of time, even the guy in this video admits that) that with all due respect, I find it impossible to believe everything in this video.

Especially coming from a company who derives a massive amount of profit from selling motorcycle tires.

Accordingly, taking this video purely at face value without some critical thinking behind the broad statements they're making is like blindly believing a cigarette conglomerate telling you that smoking is perfectly safe as long as you smoke only their brand of cigarettes. Those other ones, they'll kill ya.

And some of his diagrams are drawn in such a way that they over exaggerate reality, as well. Some of the bead issues are true, but much less dramatic than how he draws them, and that aside, have proven to be irrelevant based on peoples decades of success with darkside.

All that said, I don't run darkside, but I know people who do, and have for a decade or more without any issues at all aside from saving a bunch of money. Is it suited to every motorcycle design and style? Absolutely not - arguably the bike he used for his tests is ill suited to darkside which may have resulted in some of his experiences....lets not even get into the fact he's riding in snow in some of the shots complaining about tracking issues... but for the big fat heavy slow touring and cruiser crowd who aren't carving corners at the Dragon or demanding 60 degree lean angles at every intersection, it's a very viable and proven option.

I always enter an on or off ramp with the same thought in the back of my little brain.What if a refrigerator fell off a pickup truck just ahead of me?If i have to turn inside of it,i am going to need ALL the grip my tires can give me in an instant (if i'm good enough) A good mc tire will give me that.The millions of dollars spent on engineering a proper tire for me were well spent and smarter than me.
I don't have a problem with people doing darkside.I have a problem with anyone saying they do it because it's safer.They do it because it's cheaper ffs.

A few minutes reading threads in here Darkside Riders will leave most riders shaking their heads.

Last edited:
A few minutes reading threads in here Darkside Riders will leave most riders shaking their heads.

I went and checked it out lol. I guess it’s tough to actually get the wheel and tire up into the fender....I liked the one guy suggesting to spray the tire and inner fender down with some silicone lube. Apparently fits like a glove after that treatment. Nothing can go wrong with a well lubed tire.

Let's take the most enjoyable thing about riding a motorcycle (leaning it in a corner) and then cripple the joy out of it!

?‍♂️

There's a seemingly large segment of the riding population that never sees more than 3 degrees of lean angle anyhow.

I've passed a train of them on the Cherohala Skyway in a rental Corolla.

I don't see a problem with it. Had to use one for work two years ago. It was so ******* satisfying to physically hang up on someone again.
However, having met Ryan, knowing his age, and that he's most known for the work he does in a digital space, working for an ecommerce company, I do find it surprising.

I don't see a problem with it. Had to use one for work two years ago. It was so ******* satisfying to physically hang up on someone again.
However, having met Ryan, knowing his age, and that he's most known for the work he does in a digital space, working for an ecommerce company, I do find it surprising.
I have an A8 now and really like it. But i really miss being able to stuff my little flip phone in my pants pocket. Esp on the bike.

I went and checked it out lol. I guess it’s tough to actually get the wheel and tire up into the fender....I liked the one guy suggesting to spray the tire and inner fender down with some silicone lube. Apparently fits like a glove after that treatment. Nothing can go wrong with a well lubed tire.

Well, usually nothing goes wrong with a well-lubed anything, so a tire shouldn't be an exception...

That chart pretty much sums up the situation however the bike he chose IMO doesn't represent the typical darksider.

To me the classic darksider is the owner of a pre 1800 Goldwing. There is a savings on the tire but also the amount of work to R&R the luggage to access the wheel. I do my own wrenching so don't know the cost of the luggage removal and replacement. Let's assume $200. That could be light.

For a high miler 1500 Goldwing using guesstimate numbers:

Conventional: A $200 tire every year plus $200 Install = $400 a year

Darkside: A $100 tire every 4 years and one $200 install = $300 for 4 years = $75 a year.

Over 4 years the darksider spends $300 when the brightsider spends $1600. $1300 in the darksiders pocket. $325 a year

HOWEVER we aren't looking at the whole picture. Tunnel vision sets in focusing on $$$$$$.

When you change the rear tire on a Goldwing you normally moly lube the splines. I can't recall the mileage maintenance number for this but if you do the lube with a normal tire change it's unlikely that you will ever have a problem. With the wheel off the lube is a few minutes.

Going darkside, a responsible owner should still pull the rear wheel and lube the splines at a cost of just a little less than changing a tire.

Rehashing the 4 year darkside tire savings with proper spline maintenance, the $ 325 a year savings is more like $150.

I'm with Wingboy regarding the fridge falling off the truck. I'm happier with sticky new rubber designed for the job, not 4 year old hard from the get go car stuff.

If you ride solo and want to chance a car tire it's your call. Many are happy with that choice and I wish them no harm.

There are unanswered questions:

To my knowledge there is no M/C tire for a Goldwing that will satisfy load limits for Bubba, Chubby Cheeks and a trailer. A car tire trades traction for capacity and could be safer. There are parties that are interested in doing legitimate studies and there are parties that could afford to do the studies. Unfortunately they are two different parties with two different agendas.

Is there a technical reason why run-flats aren't available?

From what I hear, they aren't cheap but if a $500 tire keeps you from needing your $1000 helmet.............................

Feel free to correct my numbers.

Back
Top Bottom