Can riding on the street help you lose weight? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can riding on the street help you lose weight?

It is very simple.

Ride from home to TimHortons is increasing weight.
Ride from home to gym is decreasing weight.

Unprocessed juices contain the enzymes to digest the sugars they contain. Drinks with artificial sugars or even drinks with natural sugars added do not. Plus the acids in unprocessed juices (citric acid) are natural fat burners. I'll take mother nature (or as close to her as possible) over Gatorade or Coke any day.

That's not true, papain from pineapple is a degredative enzyme that will degrade tissue but if you think that drinking tons of pineapple juice is going to help you lose weight it won't work. Glucose made in the lab is the same as natural glucose in foods and fructose is the same too. Both add calories. They have plenty of water which is good, and some vitamins, again good. There's fibre too if the juice has plenty of pulp but again you are drinking calories basically.

Maybe that explains why people in the caribbean is so skinny. Lots of fruits with citric acid

Yeah, Samoans are all toothpicks. :cool:

It is very simple.

Ride from home to TimHortons is increasing weight.
Ride from home to gym is decreasing weight.

The above is really the only valid answer for this thread.

Papain (enzyme) is from papaya fruit, not pineapple. Bromelain is the enzyme found in pineapple. The most potent and active enzyme is in bean sprouts. This is why you feel hungry an hour after eating Chinese food.

This is going too deep into detail for this threads purpose. The answer has already been given.

That's not true, papain from pineapple is a degredative enzyme that will degrade tissue but if you think that drinking tons of pineapple juice is going to help you lose weight it won't work. Glucose made in the lab is the same as natural glucose in foods and fructose is the same too. Both add calories. They have plenty of water which is good, and some vitamins, again good. There's fibre too if the juice has plenty of pulp but again you are drinking calories basically.

Last edited:

I think he was alluding to the fact that fruits contain more fructose than glucose. Processed juice having more glucose than fructose

Well unsupported claims are worthless in either side of the issue and I can tell from your writing you are much less experienced at this kind of issue than me :rolleyes:

arrogance should at LEAST be backed by accuracy.

Umm, unless I'm mistaken, your attempt to riducule 0000 (or whatever his name is) is a failure. He didn't say muscle was not more dense than fat. I believe he said muscle does not weigh more than fat. 1 kilo of marshmellows weighs the same as 1 kilo of lead.

LOL i thought you were joking at first..........

Now I know you can get a workout riding off road and on the track but I wonder if the same holds true for street riding.

The reason I bring it up is I jumped on the scales this morning and am down about 3.5 pounds after a weekend of cramming down turkey with all the trimmings and a several pieces of pumpkin and apple pies with whipped cream. The only exercise I got was walking the dog for about 20 minutes each day and a 4 hour ride on the GS yesterday.

As I hadn't been on any rides longer than an hour this year and as I found the ride to Niagara Falls and back to be stressful with all the sightseeing traffic out on a beautiful fall day, I think there might be something to it. I was very tense with some muscle cramping when I got back. My shoulder and arm muscles were in knots. On the upside, my BP which has been a lot higher than normal for the last 3 weeks (29 year old son moved back in for the 2nd time after a year away) was down to a perfect 110/70
smile.gif

I guess if I was tense I was giving the muscles a workout whether I noticed it or not and that must have burned up the calories.

What do you think?

Cheers all,
Spyug

I think he was alluding to the fact that fruits contain more fructose than glucose. Processed juice having more glucose than fructose

That'll be the same fructose in corn syrup which is partly responsible for obesity problems in the developed world as it's put into everything.

Also, papain is also found in pineapple, enzymes aren't often unique to one species.

That'll be the same fructose in corn syrup which is partly responsible for obesity problems in the developed world as it's put into everything.

Also, papain is also found in pineapple, enzymes aren't often unique to one species.

If I remember correctly, fructose is sweeter than glucose per gram; so u tend to use less for the same effect

Yeah but it's 9-10% of your daily recommended carbohydrate intake and 5% of a daily calorific intake just from one 250ml cup. Not bad if it's just one cup but if it's a pint of OJ then now you're at nearly 15% of your daily calories etc.

I like OJ too...I drink more than I should...but people don't think of it as having any problematic effect but they should be aware that it's not free calories.

If you're going to argue a point, at least try and be accurate. I have a BSC and PHD in Naturopathy, Homeopathy, TCM, and Kinesiology. Bromelain is "pineapple" enzyme that we often use in arthritic conditions therapeutically. Papain is "papaya" enzyme that you'll find in cheap dietary supplements for people with sluggish digestion. It's cheap 'cause it's full of sugar and plentiful.

The point is/was that alternatives to a "Big Mac, fries, and a super-sized Coke" are the reason some SS riders actually gain weight on the road. I don't know anyone that got fat from OJ. My gut is wash-board flat. There are better alternatives on the road and seeking them out is as easy as stopping the group ride at a grocery store, rather than McDonalds. Your wallet and your health will thank you.

Note: To those of you who have a weight problem and want to lose weight fast, practice this..."square shopping." Meaning, shop the grocery store on the four outer parameters (walls). Stay out of the isles. Anything that's good for you is contained on the four outer walls. Anything that's bad for you is contained in the isles. Stay out of the isles and exercise moderately and you'll always be in great shape.

Last edited:
油井緋色;1671918 said:
Straight up no, anyone else who argues this fact will get slammed and laughed at.

That's almost as stupid (no offense) as weight lifting to lose weight. You will also NEVER lose 3 pounds over a week unless you are starving the hell out of yourself. Water weight != weight.

The two most basic rules of weight loss:

#1. Use it or lose it; you will lose muscle if you do not use it as muscle takes FAR MORE to maintain than fat.
#2. Fat is used when you have no carbohydrates left <----- This is a basic rule, do not try to run a marathon with no carbs, you will "hit the runner wall" and crash harder than some one high siding into a wall.

Background information: I went from 300 pounds of pure fat to 150 pounds of muscle over the course of 6 years, I also have a degree in health sciences from Western.

I went to Western as well... but it sounds like you need to give your degree back.

Weight lifting to lose weight does make sense. You burn calories and it helps elevate your metabolic rate for several hours after the intense work out to help burn even more calories. Further to that notion weight loss is a simple function of calories in vs calories out. Make sure in is less than out and you are golden. Lifting weights will help preserve your muscle mass so that when you do lose weight because of your weightlifting it will more than likely be fat.

Also when you are at rest you burn basically 50/50 carbohydrates and fat to power your everday needs for energy. As intensity for an exercise increases more carbohydrate is used.

Weight lifting to lose weight does make sense. You burn calories and it helps elevate your metabolic rate for several hours after the intense work out to help burn even more calories. Further to that notion weight loss is a simple function of calories in vs calories out. Make sure in is less than out and you are golden. Lifting weights will help preserve your muscle mass so that when you do lose weight because of your weightlifting it will more than likely be fat.
I have to agree. Weightlifting can assist in losing fat, long term. I don't have an education in all this, but I've lifted weights since before most of you were born, and still do. Muscle even at rest consumes calories, the more you have the more you burn. When you put this increased muscle mass to work, you burn even more.

The other side of the equation is of course diet, many modern foods are so unnaturally high in calories, even an active person can easily blow their calorie budget by lunch. I've worked with what I call the "100 year diet", if a food item didn't exist 100 years ago, it's probably crap, avoid it.

I have to agree. Weightlifting can assist in losing fat, long term. I don't have an education in all this, but I've lifted weights since before most of you were born, and still do. Muscle even at rest consumes calories, the more you have the more you burn. When you put this increased muscle mass to work, you burn even more.

The other side of the equation is of course diet, many modern foods are so unnaturally high in calories, even an active person can easily blow their calorie budget by lunch. I've worked with what I call the "100 year diet", if a food item didn't exist 100 years ago, it's probably crap, avoid it.

Don't lie only reason you lift weights is so you can muscle that fat busa around.

Back
Top Bottom