Can I burrow a drilling jig? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can I burrow a drilling jig?

• Thread starter Deleted member 50930
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 50930

Anyone want to lend me a handlebar driling jig for 7/8" bar?
LSL_Handlebar_Drill_Jig1__50516.1529342421.jpg

x902dt01_stil.jpg.pagespeed.ic.1ZvF6Nq-b0.jpg

I am nearby Guelph

thanks

op: Take a file and etch an "X" through the chrome into the metal where you want the hole.
Then drill the hole. Easy, the drill won't skate.
or make a jig with a piece of scrap.
or center punch it for all you're worth (you can't see it)

Even with a drill press or a "milling drill press" the drill will still skate, unless you have a VERY stout drill. Drilling round stuff isn't easy, especially when the chrome is probably harder than the crappy tire drill you're going to use.

op: Take a file and etch an "X" through the chrome into the metal where you want the hole.
Then drill the hole. Easy, the drill won't skate.
or make a jig with a piece of scrap.
or center punch it for all you're worth (you can't see it)

Even with a drill press or a "milling drill press" the drill will still skate, unless you have a VERY stout drill. Drilling round stuff isn't easy, especially when the chrome is probably harder than the crappy tire drill you're going to use.

Use a centre drill / drill countersink to minimize flex and skate.

I had bars with the wiring inside them, they were terrible! They were a pain to service, they bent easy and when they did the wires routed through the holes were all destroyed right along with them. Too big of a price to pay just to hide 9 inches of wire from sight, unless it's a chopper show bike with ape hangers and spends more time being looked at then ridden. ymmv.

I had bars with the wiring inside them, they were terrible! They were a pain to service, they bent easy and when they did the wires routed through the holes were all destroyed right along with them. Too big of a price to pay just to hide 9 inches of wire from sight, unless it's a chopper show bike with ape hangers and spends more time being looked at then ridden. ymmv.

I never considered the need for the hole but it's the OP's choice. Generally speaking a hole is something you put into something to weaken it.

The other consideration is accuracy. The file trick or a centre punch would work for a general purpose hole but if it had to match a cast or molded part the tolerances would be tighter. If it's for wiring would there be a grommet?

Part three is that drill holes in thin material aren't usually perfectly round. Now we're talking reamers and other boring procedures.

Had a set of bars with a special slot cut right in them for the throttle mechanism to work, that was joyous. You require OEM bars, (which cost more and bend easier) or replace the throttle and most of the controls.

Back
Top Bottom