CAN-AM Demo day Sat June 3 @ Two Wheel Motorsport Guelph | GTAMotorcycle.com

CAN-AM Demo day Sat June 3 @ Two Wheel Motorsport Guelph

One of my guys at work had one of these.
I took it for a bit of a spin. I can see it for old guys that are aging out of two wheels.
For me, you give up all the good points of a car like comfort, reduced noise, safety and all the good points of a motorcycle, handling, power, small foot print and are left with a slow, big, unprotected vehicle.

Worth trying out for free to decide for yourself though.

I was there last yr (at 2 wheel) for non related reasons.
Was asked if I'd like to take one for a demo ride........"no thank you".
I'd demo rode one yrs ago.

I have a Spyder RTL, (all the bells and whistles. Not because I "aged out of 2 wheels), but because of injuries from a previous crash. Also just had shoulder surgery in Jan. the power steering is a god send.

They are considered "semi automatic" in that you HAVE to up shift, but the bike downshifts, (you can still downshift, shifting is via a paddle, so no clutch, brake pedal on the right side controls all three brakes,, (Brembo top of the line brakes).

It is much more like riding a snowmobile or atv than a bike. It has a 3 cylinder ROTAX 1330 cc motor. I can't say top speed, but I know it more than 165...lol It comes with EXTREMELY comfortable stock seats. Has an adjustable windshield so you can remove the wind or get face full..lol

There are at least TWO major pluses over 2 wheels.

1. because of the stance, 2 wheels up front, the profile is MUCH wider than a bike, as such I have noticed a SIGNIFICANT decrease in SMIDSY. In fact I see people on the 401 put their turn signal on the change lanes, see me coming up and they hold off on pulling in front until I pass. Now that could also be curiosity..lol

2. Due to 3 wheels there is NO concern with the rear wheel spinning out, meaning I can ride it all year, (only time it was parked this winter was Jan and Feb, due to my shoulder surgery not because of weather. I have heated jacket and pant liners, as well as heated visor sled helmet, so riding even at -15 is comfortable. (I have yet to ride with heated gear on high). Also means I don't, (if I didn't winter ride), wait for all the sand at intersections to be washed away before starting my season.

I realize 3 wheels isn't for everyone, but if you get the chance go for a demo day.

I was there last yr (at 2 wheel) for non related reasons.
Was asked if I'd like to take one for a demo ride........"no thank you".
I'd demo rode one yrs ago.
Might want to ride now. in 2015 they moved from the 998cc to 1330cc and they are completely redesigned.

Also in my last post I forgot to mention the storage it has a Frunk, (front trunk), rear trunk, and 2 hard saddle bags. I rode to NB/NS border last year, going to Edmonton this summer. Had tons of room for clothing, and came back with NO back pain etc, after 7 days of 500+ km/day.

They also have the Ryker, (MUCH smaller, lighter, and lower bike, with minimal storage, virtually no windshield. Most prefer the "sport model" single rider configuration for that bike, BUT it is NO a long distance bike..lol NO issue with doing a burnout...lol

I have a Spyder RTL, (all the bells and whistles. Not because I "aged out of 2 wheels), but because of injuries from a previous crash. Also just had shoulder surgery in Jan. the power steering is a god send.

They are considered "semi automatic" in that you HAVE to up shift, but the bike downshifts, (you can still downshift, shifting is via a paddle, so no clutch, brake pedal on the right side controls all three brakes,, (Brembo top of the line brakes).

It is much more like riding a snowmobile or atv than a bike. It has a 3 cylinder ROTAX 1330 cc motor. I can't say top speed, but I know it more than 165...lol It comes with EXTREMELY comfortable stock seats. Has an adjustable windshield so you can remove the wind or get face full..lol

There are at least TWO major pluses over 2 wheels.

1. because of the stance, 2 wheels up front, the profile is MUCH wider than a bike, as such I have noticed a SIGNIFICANT decrease in SMIDSY. In fact I see people on the 401 put their turn signal on the change lanes, see me coming up and they hold off on pulling in front until I pass. Now that could also be curiosity..lol

2. Due to 3 wheels there is NO concern with the rear wheel spinning out, meaning I can ride it all year, (only time it was parked this winter was Jan and Feb, due to my shoulder surgery not because of weather. I have heated jacket and pant liners, as well as heated visor sled helmet, so riding even at -15 is comfortable. (I have yet to ride with heated gear on high). Also means I don't, (if I didn't winter ride), wait for all the sand at intersections to be washed away before starting my season.

I realize 3 wheels isn't for everyone, but if you get the chance go for a demo day.
Question, without the injuries and surgery, would you still be riding the Can-Am?

I have nothing again these machines and and see many going this route due to age/injuries. Personally if I can’t handle two wheels anymore I would buy a convertible.

I've been curious about these machines for a few years now. Two of my friends own them and one of them is on his second one. I've signed up for the demo to see if they are anything to consider in the future. Thanks for the link.

My wife does not like motorcycle riding two is a stressful experience for her. I also dislike leaving her home alone for hours at a time so we discussed the possibility of a Spyder. we both liked the idea so I was "almost" tempted until I saw the price. 40K for a vehicle that we both "kind of" like is not a good expense. But I do find them interesting.

Back
Top Bottom