Can-Am bikes are back! | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can-Am bikes are back!

Regarding the engine sound, I remember seeing a show some time ago (2 Girls Garage?) where the ladies installed a device that added an exhaust sound to a Tesla. So they could probably do the same with an electric motorcycle, dirt or street.

Some of the car manufacturers are piping in the exhaust sound into the cabin through the speakers. BMW got flack for it because it was an artificially created noise, whereas Porsche sampled the real exhaust note being created by the car and amplified it through the speakers.

On one hand, it's a nice nod to reducing noise emissions and not annoying pedestrians and other road users around you a la Harley Straight Pipes crowd, but on the other hand, something about that strikes me as being quite unholy and unkosher.

Some of the car manufacturers are piping in the exhaust sound into the cabin through the speakers. BMW got flack for it because it was an artificially created noise, whereas Porsche sampled the real exhaust note being created by the car and amplified it through the speakers.

On one hand, it's a nice nod to reducing noise emissions and not annoying pedestrians and other road users around you a la Harley Straight Pipes crowd, but on the other hand, something about that strikes me as being quite unholy and unkosher.
The really cool way to do it (and I can't remember who it was) was they ran a runner from the intake into the cabin. No recording, no artificial noise, just a symphony being piped into the cabin. It looks like it's been on at least the STI and Fiesta, I suspect others as well.

VW's crap solution is a transducer vibrating the firewall. That sounds as good as you expect.

I honestly think electric is the way of the future. Emphasis on Future.

However, it's way early days for the both the technology and the culture hasn't shifted away from ICE yet. Give it another few years or so, until the majority of road users out there have not known anything except a touchscreen (CRT? Wot's dat?). And also, extend the range and lower the charge time so it's on par with traditional gas stations, and then you'll witness rapid, widespread adoption.

I was mildly interested in KTM's FreeRide E-XC and did some research over the wintertime. Performance was on par with a 300 XC-W, but as soon as they mentioned 25 mile range/1.5 hours run time, that effectively hit the brakes on that idea. Those numbers are just not practical in the real world.

Yet.

Time and technology will eventually fix this.

The noise and rumble of an ICE is a dinosaur thing. I don't think younger people will care about stuff like that in the future. Just like they don't care for rowing their own gears these days.

This, coming from a dinosaur.

Regarding the engine sound, I remember seeing a show some time ago (2 Girls Garage?) where the ladies installed a device that added an exhaust sound to a Tesla. So they could probably do the same with an electric motorcycle, dirt or street.

Now if only someone could turn a tree into a charging station…that would be somethin’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To me that reeks of plastic wood grain on a station wagon.

I had a 1980 Can Am 400 the bike was a beast,just couldn't get the hang of the kicker being on the left side.By the time they make a electric dirt bike with decent range I will probably be to old to ride,but im starting to think I could get used to a electric dirt bike in the woods.

Why do i like this so much even though i dont offroad

Back
Top Bottom