Can-Am bikes are back! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can-Am bikes are back!

Anyone here ever owned a canam anything? Arent they really unreliable?
BRP makes really good products. Their snowmobiles, watercraft and side by sides are all at the top of their segments or competing for top spot.

Loaded with features, high performance, good build quality/fit and finish, reliability, a lot of well thought out accessories and a good dealer network. Only downside is they are expensive but resale is typically strong with BRP stuff.

I loved my 97 Formula Z. 104 HP out of a reliable 583 cc, just can't beat that.
I came extremely close to getting a job as a technical writer at Bombardier in Downsview back around 1990 or so, when they were gearing up to start producing the CRJ. They were hiring 6, I was in the final group of eleven candidates. In retrospect, the poor job security there was the complete opposite of the job security of the somewhat crappy job I ended up getting a bit later.

My brother got the chance to work for Johnson outboards for a bit prior to their demise. Although they were an entirely separate company to brp at the time, there was some arrangement to buy brp products on an employee plan. He picked up a defender. Meh. It's ok but leaves a lot to be desired. I've got some of the technical research reports from johnson. Lots of interesting stuff in there. Sad to see their demise.

I used to work for Bombardier before they sold that division. I spoke with some engineers that had worked on their four-wheeler design in the early days. They told me that they designed to the bare minimum and didn't worry about warranty claims. They figured that most people only used them for a few hours a year, so they'd be out of warranty on years, before they got close to the number of hours. So say a two year warranty with 1000 hours. 1000 hours sounds great, and you'd rarely get there unless you were using it commercially, but if something failed at 25 months and 250 hours, you weren't covered.

I used to work for Bombardier before they sold that division. I spoke with some engineers that had worked on their four-wheeler design in the early days. They told me that they designed to the bare minimum and didn't worry about warranty claims. They figured that most people only used them for a few hours a year, so they'd be out of warranty on years, before they got close to the number of hours. So say a two year warranty with 1000 hours. 1000 hours sounds great, and you'd rarely get there unless you were using it commercially, but if something failed at 25 months and 250 hours, you weren't covered.
And commercial use normally voids warranties. Sad state of affairs but probably similar thoughts and bean-counting happen at most other manufacturers as well.

The CanAm 125 was , for me, terrifying. I wieghed 102lbs . then dad got a deal on a Maico 350 . We had to push start it or tow with a honda QA50 because niether my brother or i could kick it over.

It would be great if CanAm could build a dependable, affordable , fun electric bike. The market is still in infancy and has so much potential

You know anywhere Federal or Quebec gov't money is available... BRP will be the first at the trough.

I'll bet there are huge subsidies getting pumped into this... millions for development, millions more for Quebec factories.

At least they'll be getting subsidies for something useful and forward-looking this time. I much prefer that than the endless subsidies for corporate jets.

The CanAm 125 was , for me, terrifying. I wieghed 102lbs . then dad got a deal on a Maico 350 . We had to push start it or tow with a honda QA50 because niether my brother or i could kick it over.

It would be great if CanAm could build a dependable, affordable , fun electric bike. The market is still in infancy and has so much potential
I can foresee a market down the road where the electric dirt bikes will be cheaper than gas powered dirt bikes partly due to e-bikes not selling as well as expected.. Part of the appeal is the sound of the engine, that fire-breather between your legs boosting your testosterone. An e-bike dirt bike will not have much intrinsic appeal to many, and especially to those with gas experience. S'pose I could be wrong, nothing makes sense to me anymore anyway.

I can foresee a market down the road where the electric dirt bikes will be cheaper than gas powered dirt bikes partly due to e-bikes not selling as well as expected.. Part of the appeal is the sound of the engine, that fire-breather between your legs boosting your testosterone. An e-bike dirt bike will not have much intrinsic appeal to many, and especially to those with gas experience. S'pose I could be wrong, nothing makes sense to me anymore anyway.

Every year, the bar for what's minimum acceptable tech gets moved up.

These days, most new riders would never even consider a bike without an electric start. Meanwhile some dinosaurs will insist kick-start is the only way to turn an engine over. Personally, there's a whole raft of "features" (AKA stuff that will break down first) on my bike that I never use: quickshifter, cruise control, hill start control.

Love the Electronic Suspension Adjustment though. Press a button instead of breaking out the rear shock wrench? Sign me up for that schitt!

YMMV

Every year, the bar for what's minimum acceptable tech gets moved up.

These days, most new riders would never even consider a bike without an electric start. Meanwhile some dinosaurs will insist kick-start is the only way to turn an engine over. Personally, there's a whole raft of "features" (AKA stuff that will break down first) on my bike that I never use: quickshifter, cruise control, hill start control.

Love the Electronic Suspension Adjustment though. Press a button instead of breaking out the rear shock wrench? Sign me up for that schitt!

YMMV
I always say, just because you can make something doesn't mean the world needs it. I think most new fangled tech creates as many issues as it solves.

Regarding the engine sound, I remember seeing a show some time ago (2 Girls Garage?) where the ladies installed a device that added an exhaust sound to a Tesla. So they could probably do the same with an electric motorcycle, dirt or street.

Now if only someone could turn a tree into a charging station…that would be somethin’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding the engine sound, I remember seeing a show some time ago (2 Girls Garage?) where the ladies installed a device that added an exhaust sound to a Tesla. So they could probably do the same with an electric motorcycle, dirt or street.

Now if only someone could turn a tree into a charging station…that would be somethin’.

While it is easy enough to add sound and it may be entertaining for a few minutes, it sounds like crap. It is very hard to accurately reproduce explosions. Even inside a car in a controlled environment, some manufacturers try to enhance engine noise and it sounds like poo. If you are doing it for your own self-gratification, the best bet is engine noise into headphones. I don't know of anyone that has bothered to do that. Nor is it trivially easy with an EV as you probably want to replicate rev/shift/rev that doesn't happen and it may feel very strange if the sound doesn't match the butt dyno. You could probably come up with an algorithm based on speed, throttle position, brake position, etc but it would take a while to get something that felt right (and I don't know if anyone would pay for your work).

I swear that's what Toyota did with my Rav4. In eco mode it's very quiet. In sport mode it's loud and snarly.

Back
Top Bottom