Can $100 Save America’s Flagging Motorcycle Business? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can $100 Save America’s Flagging Motorcycle Business?

I have a couple of really old 125s and a 250, they are a tough small but they have no problem hauling my 200lb frame around. The 125's are happy doing 80 all day, pinned doing 115kmh.
Two points:

1/ A 6' tall guy that weighs 150# on a small framed bike is going to be just as cramped as a 6' tall guy that weighs 250#. It's the height that matters...which was my point you seem to have missed. Weight is one thing but a lot of small cc bikes seem to be designed around some ill conceived assumption that only 5'3" people are going to be riding them. CAN you ride it? Sure. Is it apt to be an ideal experience? Nope.

2/ Draft horses are actually capable of carrying less weight on their backs as a percentage of their overall weight than smaller horses. Yes, because they weigh more, they can haul more as an overall number, but because they carry so much more of their own weight to begin with there are still limits.

Also, put a 150# 6'6" guy on a pony (perfectly within allowable percentage limits for a good sized pony) and see how silly he looks. Now, go re-read #1 above. See the comparison?
My little Suzuki SP 125 enduro has almost identical ergos (lean, knee and hip angle) as my VStrom. I get over 100 mpg, can park in a 2’ wide space, go zero to 60kmh faster than most cars and it stops fine with drum brakes. If I need to I can go 115kmh for a few freeway exits. What more do I need in the city?

Most Parts are cheaper than shipping, insurance is $21/month. I’m not touring on her, but it’s fun in the city and at 250 lbs wet I can toss it on a hitch carrier attached to a small car.

Similar bikes cost less than $2k in Asia, if I could buy one here for that price I would be riding one.

But how tall are you?

Forget weight.

If you're over 6' tall try riding something like a 250 class cruiser and see how you feel.

took that post down - self moderation

400cc I think would be the sweet spot
reasonable power, not a toy, and affordable to insure

something like the Z900RS
but smaller engine and much smaller price tag
Build this and they will buy....or i will anyway....this would be my around town bike....zip to work. And i could justify (to only myself) the 1000ccish dual sport tourer of some brand.

Back
Top Bottom