Camping stove at Costco | GTAMotorcycle.com

Camping stove at Costco

robertv19

Site Supporter
Not a moto-camper myself, but for anyone looking for a portable camping stove, this one is at Costco for $16.79:
(don't have a link to the Costco item as it's not on their website)
.79 means it won't be back iirc
There's some guide somewhere on their pricing

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I bought a very similar one from canadian tire and it works great.

Can't see the fun in cooking a hotdog on a stick over that.

But its tons of fun for making your coffee with your moka pot, or cooking scrambled eggs, or making pop corn, etc etc etc

for everything else, theres camp fire, or charcoal lol

I used these all the time when I go camping. But get the fire pit going for steaks, hot dogs, chicken wings.
Protip. If you want to save some butane when boiling pasta. Just soak the pasta for about 30 minutes.

used single burner butane for years
great for making that morning coffee or tea quickly

put a large 11" cast iron skillet on top it and fry up a whole wack of chops w a lid on the pan no problem even winter..

mine is stamped coleman; bit older design. get 4hrs from a tank.

going to read up on their safety - ty for link @crankcall

Last edited:
Doesn't look very compact?

I have used one of these for a few years now, great for boiling a pot of water. Don't think I'd want to use it for much else. Moto camping for me means traveling light not with a full kitchen. I pack some instant oatmeal and coffee and a couple of those freeze dried meals.

SPOTACT Outdoor Camping Backpacking Hiking [Ultralight Version] Stoves with Piezo Ignition, Powerful Reliable Portable Gas Stove with Safe Use for Mountaineering,Traveling,Camping, Hiking & Picnic.: Amazon.ca: Home & Kitchen

Doesn't look very compact?

I have used one of these for a few years now, great for boiling a pot of water. Don't think I'd want to use it for much else. Moto camping for me means traveling light not with a full kitchen. I pack some instant oatmeal and coffee and a couple of those freeze dried meals.

SPOTACT Outdoor Camping Backpacking Hiking [Ultralight Version] Stoves with Piezo Ignition, Powerful Reliable Portable Gas Stove with Safe Use for Mountaineering,Traveling,Camping, Hiking & Picnic.: Amazon.ca: Home & Kitchen
I wouldn't use the OP's stove for moto camping. For car camping, it could work or for a spare burner on the counter at home if preparing a feast.

For car camping its perfect. Used to depend on my friend's 2-burner stove for years... with the bigger and clunkier propane bottles.

Switching to this was the best move i did. You can prepack it with the bottle of butane (disconnected) in there...if you're not gonna cook a lot you won't need more than the single bottle.
I did coffee, eggs and bakey, fajitas, boiled water for Mr noodles and pancakes. My neighbor who came on the neighboring camping site had this big propane burner and he used his griddle to do a huge cook of burgers...hmmmmmmmmm

be very careful with these stoves, one put me in the emerg ward. Google "butane stove explosions "......

The hazard bit starts after 3:00

One of my uncles ended up in ER during WWII with a different type of gas stove but similar logic.

A group was camped together and one guy got tired of the pots getting black on the bottom. He made a steel table to go over the flame so the pots wouldn't get exposed directly to the flame. The problem was that the table directed heat around the fuel canister, causing it to explode, spraying fuel. The guy that made the table died of his burns because he panicked and ran. My uncle did the stop, drop, roll thing and survived but had to be shipped across the channel to a burn unit in England.

The video talks of venting under pressure and I wonder where the vented fuel goes. I would prefer a controlled flame to an explosion. I'll check my canisters for the safety vent.

Australia had banned the things due to some serious blow ups. I don't know if they have been re-certified.

The hazard bit starts after 3:00

One of my uncles ended up in ER during WWII with a different type of gas stove but similar logic.

A group was camped together and one guy got tired of the pots getting black on the bottom. He made a steel table to go over the flame so the pots wouldn't get exposed directly to the flame. The problem was that the table directed heat around the fuel canister, causing it to explode, spraying fuel. The guy that made the table died of his burns because he panicked and ran. My uncle did the stop, drop, roll thing and survived but had to be shipped across the channel to a burn unit in England.

The video talks of venting under pressure and I wonder where the vented fuel goes. I would prefer a controlled flame to an explosion. I'll check my canisters for the safety vent.

Australia had banned the things due to some serious blow ups. I don't know if they have been re-certified.
Seems like a simple design change would be to have the grille below the tank compartment so larger pans couldn't sit level (or even better a flag that pops up when a can is installed so it can be 3" tall and really block you). As for the vented cans, those stoves don't seem to have a hole to let the flamethrower out. It may give you a few seconds notice of impending doom but with all that heat trapped against the canister it pretty much guarantees an explosion.

My old house came with a single burner pressurized gas stove that you screw on top of a canister. I never used it and one day tried to get it to light but it was very uncooperative so I chucked it. It had a few canisters that were unused and full but felt funny. I punctured one outside to get rid of the fuel so I could throw it out and liquid came out with very little pressure. Damned if I know what that fuel was supposed to be. I thought it was butane but butane wouldn't have stayed liquid for long and would have been at higher pressure.

Seems like a simple design change would be to have the grille below the tank compartment so larger pans couldn't sit level (or even better a flag that pops up when a can is installed so it can be 3" tall and really block you). As for the vented cans, those stoves don't seem to have a hole to let the flamethrower out. It may give you a few seconds notice of impending doom but with all that heat trapped against the canister it pretty much guarantees an explosion.

My old house came with a single burner pressurized gas stove that you screw on top of a canister. I never used it and one day tried to get it to light but it was very uncooperative so I chucked it. It had a few canisters that were unused and full but felt funny. I punctured one outside to get rid of the fuel so I could throw it out and liquid came out with very little pressure. Damned if I know what that fuel was supposed to be. I thought it was butane but butane wouldn't have stayed liquid for long and would have been at higher pressure.

I would prefer a swing out canister with a hose. Keep the can away from the stove.

Or have a rigid tube, L shaped that when folded out swings the canister away from the stove. Build a valve into the pivot.

Man...I had no idea folks. I only posted this as it seemed like a very good deal. Now, on second thought - maybe not. Or at least, buyer beware!

Sent from my iPad using GTAMotorcycle.com

This is way too much kit for moto camping. A foldable rocket or butane stove is about 1/10th the size and just as easy to use. Here’s mine, a little titanium stove that sits on a camp fuel can

D8A25C42-4D50-4B21-8D94-E10ADCC2A48E.jpeg
B9EB0155-497F-48DE-8D86-1534DCD94CE3.jpeg
83E4B2EB-E56C-41FA-B702-54B2B9F2D352.jpeg

I just bought one of those off Amazon a few weeks ago for the trailer and was thinking about a second. Guess I gotta make sure to check the size of the cookware now.

FWIW the one I bought is CSA certified and seems to have some extra safety related systems that not all units include including automatically ejecting the cylinder if it detects anything abnormal. Perhaps those extra features are designed to prevent these sorts of issues. Can't imagine it would get a CSA certification otherwise...

I just bought one of those off Amazon a few weeks ago for the trailer and was thinking about a second. Guess I gotta make sure to check the size of the cookware now.

FWIW the one I bought is CSA certified and seems to have some extra safety related systems that not all units include including automatically ejecting the cylinder if it detects anything abnormal. Perhaps those extra features are designed to prevent these sorts of issues. Can't imagine it would get a CSA certification otherwise...

At a glance it looks like my Coleman. I'll check later to see if the innards are the same. I can't remember if I got mine at CTC or Walmart. They were both the same but one was Coleman and the other Brand X. I use Coleman canisters. Hopefully Coleman is protecting their reputation.

Edit: I checked and mine is different but has a CSA label. IIRC mine came with a canister but have heard that the Amazon ones don't due to shipping the gas.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom