Cager Dilema... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cager Dilema...

RoR

Ok a cager question sorry.

Scenario: Going north on airport to get to barrie on a friends rental car.The driver(Me) has a g1 and the friend has a full g for 2 and 1/2 years.Its aprox 10:30 and its pitch black on the road with no street lights or any lights for that matter so i switch on high beams. On top of the hill see a car coming and as a courtesy to the other driver switch to low beams but because of my inexperience with the car while trying to switch, I accidentally flash once. Thanks to my rotten luck cherries light up behind me and get slapped with a $110 ticket for failure to use low beams -oncoming.

Questions:
1) Will there be a problem for my friend with the rental car agency for letting me drive the car?If so can they charge him any $$ for that?If so how much since its my fault and ill pay the full damages.Also can there be any problems with his insurance on his own car for letting a person who is not on the insurance drive?

2)Should i fight the ticket or no?It was a honest mistake and i tried to explain that to the OPP officer but all i got before i finished a single sentence was "Do not interrupt me".

3)If i have go for trial and i am found guilty or if i just choose to pay will it be a problem for my motorcycle insurance since i am a new rider with m2 and just started shopping for bikes.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Last edited:
Number 1 depends on your friend's rental agreement/insurance. If you had been in a collision then he might have been in breach of his contract, potentially making him completely on the hook for the FULL cost of the vehicle, plus any other charges incurred. Simply put, he was foolish for allowing you to drive a vehicle, that was not his own.

Number 2; DO NOT interrupt an officer, when he's speaking to you. Let him finish whatever he's saying. Annoying the guy, who holds your license in his hand, isn't smart. Fight it, if you like, but you'll need a theory with which to defend yourself. You didn't even mention what the specific charge was, so I can't provide any help there.

Number 3; Depends on the charge and your insurance company, but GENERALLY one ticket won't effect your insurance.

: The driver(Me) has a g1 and the friend has a full g2 for 2 and 1/2 years.

If I were you I would just pay the ticket considering you shouldn't have been driving at all. If your information is correct, and your friend does have a G2 for 2 1/2 years, you could have been nailed for
violating the conditions of your G1. I'm
Not sure what the penalties for that are, but I'm pretty sure after all is said and done, it's worse than the $110 ticket that you got.

In order to drive a car with a G1 your passenger need to have a full G liscense with 4 years experience, not a G2 liscense with 2 1/2 years expierence. You should be happy that the cop either gave you a break or didn't bother to check the passengers liscense. Take the licks that you got, and be glad you didn't get it any worse

FYI, if you have a G1, check your passengers license. If they have the old style
license (the dark blue/purplish one) there will be a horizontal red bar with four white dots beneath the photo. That means that they have the 4 years necessary to accompany a G1 driver. On the newer licenses (light blue) there are 4 vertical black dots on the left side of the holographic photo/info on the bottom right of the liscense

I thought G1 werent allowed to drive rental cars? All in rental companies wouldnt look at me till I had my full G. They would take me at G2 but the insurance wasn't worth it.

I thought G1 werent allowed to drive rental cars? All in rental companies wouldnt look at me till I had my full G. They would take me at G2 but the insurance wasn't worth it.

Hell, G1 holders aren;t supposed to be driving when it's pitch blackout. Given that the any rental agreement is also contingent on the operator being properly licensed, that's a double whammy.

I think as noted, you were lucky not to get dinged for violating your licence restrictions. Also, as noted, it really was not wise for you to have been driving a vehicle rented to your friend when you didn't meet their licencing requirements. Any accident and your friend would be out a VERY large bag of money.

However, if I were you I'd fight the ticket. Your licencing wasn't questioned by the copper and you were not charged with anything to do with your licence. I don't see how any of that could come back to bite you. They can amend a ticket or go back to the clocked speed for a reduced speeding ticket but they can't enter a completely new charge in court relatign to your licence. They could technically charge you anytime within six months for the licencing thing but that's so implausible as to be irrelevent and it could not dealt with in court at that time.

Further, how is your friend's rental agency going to know anything about you getting a ticket? They don't get a copy and the cop would be violating privacy protection legislation if they did inform them. The fact you were inappropriately driving their car is a violation of a written contract. It isn't a criminal or HTA violation.

I think as noted, you were lucky not to get dinged for violating your licence restrictions. Also, as noted, it really was not wise for you to have been driving a vehicle rented to your friend when you didn't meet their licencing requirements. Any accident and your friend would be out a VERY large bag of money.

However, if I were you I'd fight the ticket. Your licencing wasn't questioned by the copper and you were not charged with anything to do with your licence. I don't see how any of that could come back to bite you. They can amend a ticket or go back to the clocked speed for a reduced speeding ticket but they can't enter a completely new charge in court relatign to your licence. They could technically charge you anytime within six months for the licencing thing but that's so implausible as to be irrelevent and it could not dealt with in court at that time.

Further, how is your friend's rental agency going to know anything about you getting a ticket? They don't get a copy and the cop would be violating privacy protection legislation if they did inform them. The fact you were inappropriately driving their car is a violation of a written contract. It isn't a criminal or HTA violation.

I think if he goes in and the judge notices that he was in violation of his license, that they can ding him for it. Someone correct me if I am wrong but he can still be issued more tickets.

Number 1 depends on your friend's rental agreement/insurance. If you had been in a collision then he might have been in breach of his contract, potentially making him completely on the hook for the FULL cost of the vehicle, plus any other charges incurred. Simply put, he was foolish for allowing you to drive a vehicle, that was not his own.

Number 2; DO NOT interrupt an officer, when he's speaking to you. Let him finish whatever he's saying. Annoying the guy, who holds your license in his hand, isn't smart. Fight it, if you like, but you'll need a theory with which to defend yourself. You didn't even mention what the specific charge was, so I can't provide any help there.

Number 3; Depends on the charge and your insurance company, but GENERALLY one ticket won't effect your insurance.

I did not interrupt the officer.When he asked me for the license and registration, i asked the reason for the pullover.He said because i was flashing high beams on oncoming vehicles and then he started checking my license at which time i started to explain myself.But he simply said do not interrupt me,asked for my friends license and walked back to the car.When he came back he had a ticket in hand.

If I were you I would just pay the ticket considering you shouldn't have been driving at all. If your information is correct, and your friend does have a G2 for 2 1/2 years, you could have been nailed for
violating the conditions of your G1. I'm
Not sure what the penalties for that are, but I'm pretty sure after all is said and done, it's worse than the $110 ticket that you got.

In order to drive a car with a G1 your passenger need to have a full G liscense with 4 years experience, not a G2 liscense with 2 1/2 years expierence. You should be happy that the cop either gave you a break or didn't bother to check the passengers liscense. Take the licks that you got, and be glad you didn't get it any worse

FYI, if you have a G1, check your passengers license. If they have the old style
license (the dark blue/purplish one) there will be a horizontal red bar with four white dots beneath the photo. That means that they have the 4 years necessary to accompany a G1 driver. On the newer licenses (light blue) there are 4 vertical black dots on the left side of the holographic photo/info on the bottom right of the liscense

It was a typo.My friend has a full g for 2 and a 1/2 yrs.The reason why i didnt get slapped with another ticket.

Last edited:
If the charge is "failure to dip headlights", or something similar (HTA 168, I believe), then you may be able to talk your way out of it at First Attendance.

I think if he goes in and the judge notices that he was in violation of his license, that they can ding him for it. Someone correct me if I am wrong but he can still be issued more tickets.

Technically the cop, assuming he has notes of that violation, could issue a ticket for that offence when they are in the courtroom. But they certainly can't proceed with it right then and there. They have to follow due process - set a date, provide disclosure etc. They can issue a ticket for any violations they may have noted for up to six months afterwards.

OP, did you read everyones reply? WHAT CHARGE IS WRITTEN ON THE TICKET???

This is getting so irritating. "Hey, let's post up on the internetz to get people's opinion, but I won't tell them THE CHARGE FOR WHICH I WAS CHARGED".

It's been awhile since I got a ticket, but the ones I received back in my day all had the Act# I was in violation of, and a little abbreviated sentence describing the violation.

Ok a cager question sorry.

Scenario: Going north on airport to get to barrie on a friends rental car.The driver(Me) has a g1 and the friend has a full g for 2 and 1/2 years.Its aprox 10:30 and its pitch black on the road with no street lights or any lights for that matter so i switch on high beams. On top of the hill see a car coming and as a courtesy to the other driver switch to low beams but because of my inexperience with the car while trying to switch, I accidentally flash once. Thanks to my rotten luck cherries light up behind me and get slapped with a $110 ticket for failure to use low beams -oncoming.

Questions:
1) Will there be a problem for my friend with the rental car agency for letting me drive the car?If so can they charge him any $$ for that?If so how much since its my fault and ill pay the full damages.Also can there be any problems with his insurance on his own car for letting a person who is not on the insurance drive?

2)Should i fight the ticket or no?It was a honest mistake and i tried to explain that to the OPP officer but all i got before i finished a single sentence was "Do not interrupt me".

3)If i have go for trial and i am found guilty or if i just choose to pay will it be a problem for my motorcycle insurance since i am a new rider with m2 and just started shopping for bikes.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

OP, did you read everyones reply? WHAT CHARGE IS WRITTEN ON THE TICKET???

This is getting so irritating. "Hey, let's post up on the internetz to get people's opinion, but I won't tell them THE CHARGE FOR WHICH I WAS CHARGED".

It's been awhile since I got a ticket, but the ones I received back in my day all had the Act# I was in violation of, and a little abbreviated sentence describing the violation.

Stated the charge right there.No need to get irritated.It says its HTA section 168(a) Also it doesn't state that i flashed high beams on the oncoming traffic but rather failure to use low beams which is not correct since i did use low beams, just that i accidentally flashed once.Is that something i can use as a defense in court?

And @imnothing i was busy going to court for the trial date and work. I know ur trying to help me but forgive me if i cant answer your question right away.

Last edited:
Stated the charge right there.No need to get irritated.It says its HTA section 168(a) Also it doesn't state that i flashed high beams on the oncoming traffic but rather failure to use low beams which is not correct since i did use low beams, just that i accidentally flashed once.Is that something i can use as a defense in court?

And @imnothing i was busy going to court for the trial date and work. I know ur trying to help me but forgive me if i cant answer your question right away.

My apologies, straw that broke the camels back. I guess I was looking for a different format. I have to remind myself that other people do things different. I guess I would have just said hey guys, such and such happened and my ticket says failure to use low beams - Act 168(a).

I do hope that it works out for you and that you have learned.

Back
Top Bottom