Cabot trail info? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cabot trail info?

I went through Gananoque also and had no problem, nice and quick. If you are going through the states and not taking interstates one thing to take into account is you go a bit slower then planned as it is non stop curves, I know it sounds crazy but after 5 or 6 hours of it I was wishing for a straight Ontario road!

Last edited:
Just got back from the trail.Fantastic roads great scenery and very friendly people.We stayed in Ingonish at the Keltic Lodge,100yr old place with lots of charachter.
We didn't have great weather cold +12 and overcast most of the time.The one day we had +14 and sun we went Whale watching at Pleasant Bay on Marks Zodiac tours,had a great time,lot's of whales and seals,some dolphins also.After the whale thing got back on the bike started up the mountain to finish the trail.

That's when things got ugly...Moose ran out in front of my Triumph Sprint.All I could do was hit the brakes hard and try to stop.
We hit the Moose,it came over the front windscreen(I actually head butted the thing)we went down. I slide under the Moose my wife hit the ground and the Moose took off.The only thing that I think saved us was my bike has ABS,we almost stopped before the impact and I was amazed how controlled the bike was.We also had all our gear on so only minor bumps and bruises,bike was about the same road rash /broken mirror/cracked fairing not too bad.
We did bring the bike in our truck as my wife is not that keen on riding,but she was amazing.She was very brave and calm thru the whole ordeal and want's to come back next yr to complete the trail.
So I guess we will try again next yr,minus the Moose.
If you go keep your eyes open,as the Moose are not biker friendly.

Good place to stay is Cambridge Suites in Sydney. Nice rooms and close to everything including Cabot Trail. Rollies for food and good atmosphere with live local musicians every Thursday. Its in North Sydney about 20 mins drive. Check out hotels.com for deals. We got a suite for $120 a night. Not the cheapest but comfortable and peaceful.

Damn a moose!! I had a young one run in front of the car up the road and then dive ( literally a jump ) into a pond and disappear....killed myself laughing - he was so ungainly. Eyes rolling back to watch me as he lumbered along the road..

Glad you are okay.

Gonna repost this here in case others are going

Any suggestions for a base camp while riding Cape Breton?

Stay at the top end ...Meat Cove area and take a whale watching trip.
The national park is up there as well - on the corner of the main road and the road to Meat Cove is a really cool restaurant - good food and a neat museum of the local Titanic story ( many rescued landed in the area ).
There are moose in the area so cautiously.

Say hi to Charlie at Markland from MacDoc - be sure and stop in even if you don't stay.

banner01.jpg

gorgeous setting on the top of the island and near Meat Cove.

http://www.marklandbeachcottages.com/

also say hi to the capt of the Oshan

they've clearly expanded
http://www.oshan.ca/

we went out 8 times and enjoyed it every time - 3rd generation family in the area. One day was simply breathtaking with 5 pods of whales around us in the cove - misty and you could hear them and see them all around.
Transport back to a simpler and more vibrant time.

IF you stay for a period in that area you should go daily. It's a thrill no matter what.

There a 3 very distinct cultures - as you move around the island - next up is very French and worth hitting the bakery.

Then further around you are in the Scottish Highlands with the largest Gaelic ( they teach in the school ) population outside Scotland.
Gorgeous area, lots of lakes and keep an eye out for the bald eagles.'

'addendum.
...and moose ;)

Hay TriumphGuy
Glad to here you are all right, I am not sure if I want my girlfriend to read your post though. She might have second thought about going, (she thinks it is going to cost to much for the trip). She is still planning places to stay, points of interest too check out. We will be leaving on July 22, she has that day off, & I am calling in sick. How much is fuel out there? I am guessing around $1.50 a liter, and my bike needs premium fuel.

Last edited:
Thanks Buddy 769,Don't want too freak her out.Let her know even with the Moose thing,we loved the place.Going back next yr for sure.
I was shocked to see gas prices at $1.26 for Reg (not bad)didn't need to fill the bike :( so I didn't pay attention to the good stuff.
Have fun it's a great ride...Enjoy

Just realized your in Millbrook,what do you ride? As I am in Cavan...most people don't know were we are, so I always say Ptbo.

Last edited:
We should try to hook up, befor I go.Craig

Back
Top Bottom