Buying used bike, transporting it, and safety cert | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying used bike, transporting it, and safety cert

WTP11

Hi GTAM,

I found a used bike I'd like to buy but the process of actually bringing it to my place and getting it safetied is stressful. I don't feel comfortable riding it back from the sellers place so I'd want to pay someone to transport it for me, going from Oshawa to North York (Leslie/Sheppard).

Does anyone know an efficient way of doing this? Is there someone that can transport and safety at the same time?

Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated.

WTP

wondering if you should be arranging for transport to a shop for safety - or bring it home and move it again later for safety?

Essentially the crux of the question. I know Cycleworld does drop in safeties, but I doubt someone transporting the bike would wait for it to be finished.

Edit- they are just 18 minutes away. I should probably just suck it up and ride the bike over from my place.

Hi GTAM,

I found a used bike I'd like to buy but the process of actually bringing it to my place and getting it safetied is stressful. I don't feel comfortable riding it back from the sellers place so I'd want to pay someone to transport it for me, going from Oshawa to North York (Leslie/Sheppard).

Does anyone know an efficient way of doing this? Is there someone that can transport and safety at the same time?

Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated.

WTP
I live close to there.

If you get it insured and registration transferred over you could have someone ride it back for you. I might be willing to do this. Then you could find someone who does mobile safeties if you don’t want to ride it there. Rosey Toes used to do them but I heard he may have stopped.

Ideally you could have the seller safety it before you pick it up, just cover the cost in the buying price.

Or you could rent a uhaul truck or trailer and tow it yourself. There are also some people that transport bikes on flat beds in the GTA

yeah try to get the seller to get the certified. All three bikes I have bought was safetyfied

Got a car with a hitch? UHaul has purpose-built motorcycle trailers (as was mentioned) and that can solve a ton of issues with trying to get temp plates, insurance, etc.

They're pretty inexpensive for a days rental, too.

No friends with trucks?

$20 worth of tie downs, and a 2x8 (ramp would be ideal).

Good to go.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

No friends with trucks?

$20 worth of tie downs, and a 2x8 (ramp would be ideal).

Good to go.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Noob question: Do uhaul also rent the tie downs and ramps?
edit: you did mention it's worth 20 bucks to purchase but I'm just wondering if there is an option to rent them, thanks!

edit: you did mention it's worth 20 bucks to purchase but I'm just wondering if there is an option to rent them, thanks!

They just rent you the motorcycle trailer. Everything else you have to purchase it

Essentially the crux of the question. I know Cycleworld does drop in safeties, but I doubt someone transporting the bike would wait for it to be finished.

Edit- they are just 18 minutes away. I should probably just suck it up and ride the bike over from my place.
yup ride the bike over to your place. This is a story/first experience you will never get back!

The uhaul motorcycle trailer has a ramp. Renting is super cheap, so buying the straps isn’t so bad. Uhaul should have straps for sale where you pick up the trailer, or to save a few dollars stop in at Canadian tire on the way.

Canadian Tire or Princess Auto alternately always seem to have straps on sale.

They needn't be fancy, and you only need 2 - the Uhaul motorcycle trailers have a front chock built in that gets the job done there.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! @infernobuster helped me out. :)

I was thinking of just putting it into the back of a uhaul pickup/van, but afraid of wrecking it in transit. With that said, I do have a motorcycle ramp that I don't mind giving to someone who needs one.

I live close to there.

If you get it insured and registration transferred over you could have someone ride it back for you. I might be willing to do this. Then you could find someone who does mobile safeties if you don’t want to ride it there. Rosey Toes used to do them but I heard he may have stopped.

Ideally you could have the seller safety it before you pick it up, just cover the cost in the buying price.

Or you could rent a uhaul truck or trailer and tow it yourself. There are also some people that transport bikes on flat beds in the GTA

Thanks for the offer man! That's nice of you.

Back
Top Bottom