Buying from Dainese.com - yes, please | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying from Dainese.com - yes, please

the_mueg

I have purchased two jackets from Dainese.com, directly from Italy, and could not be happier. As long as you know what size you are and don't think you would want to return it, it's the most cost efficient way to buy their gear in Canada, odd as that may seem.

The price you pay them - use PayPal, the other payment option seems to be programmed wrong and doesn't work - is the final price. The gear is shipped by UPS and all taxes, duties, and brokerage are included, no surprises at the door.

They don't respond to emails very promptly, but the order is delivered within very reasonable time frames - a couple of weeks.

I originally wanted to "support local businesses" and was looking to buy a specific jacket from a local dealer. They did not have it in stock, so took a full deposit and placed a special order. After 2 months of back and forth calls, they gave up and refunded my money saying they cannot get that item. So I took the plunge and ordered directly from Dainese - they had no problem sending it to me and the overall transaction ended up costing $100 less than with a local shop.

A couple days ago I got another order from them, which was shipped for free and with a back protector included, as part of a promo they are running. Was about to throw out the box and noticed they also included a cute notebook with their logo - I guess so that I can write trip journals in it ;).

So if anyone is apprehensive ordering from the far away land of Italy - don't be, it works smoothly and often no more expensive than local.

Last edited:
Can you further elaborate on how you purchased? Upon browsing on the website, the prices are pretty damn high not factoring in taxes and conversion.

Too scary for me buying clothes for fit sight unseen and too immoral for me to try it on locally and then mail order.

How did you resolve the fit issue?

I was recently IN the Dainese store in Italy (Rome) and I can honestly say that it was the best shopping experience in my life... it's much better than any store I've been in here (GP, RD, RC etc.) and the service and product knowledge was top-notch. Catch was, they only spoke Italian there and only my girlfriend family could understand what they were saying... and I still managed to get my Torque racing boots and Steel core Carbon together for about $400 CAD.. The boots alone cost near $400 at the cheapest local distributor here.

PS - Everyone hates Rossi there - forbid me to buy a Rossi shirt. They are all Biaggi fans who was from Rome and grew up next door to some guys. Plot twist - they actually prefer JL to Rossi. So wear a Biaggi shirt when you go in for potential discounts!

did you get taxed at the border?

I was recently IN the Dainese store in Italy (Rome) and I can honestly say that it was the best shopping experience in my life... it's much better than any store I've been in here (GP, RD, RC etc.) and the service and product knowledge was top-notch. Catch was, they only spoke Italian there and only my girlfriend family could understand what they were saying... and I still managed to get my Torque racing boots and Steel core Carbon together for about $400 CAD.. The boots alone cost near $400 at the cheapest local distributor here.

PS - Everyone hates Rossi there - forbid me to buy a Rossi shirt. They are all Biaggi fans who was from Rome and grew up next door to some guys. Plot twist - they actually prefer JL to Rossi. So wear a Biaggi shirt when you go in for potential discounts!

Can you further elaborate on how you purchased? Upon browsing on the website, the prices are pretty damn high not factoring in taxes and conversion.

You only need to factor in the conversion from euro and the shipping. There are no further taxes charged - it's an all inclusive price. They don't do the taxes-extra BS that people in North America have to deal with. Depending on the item, it can work out to the same or better than the total cost from local dealer. My problem with local dealers is they tend to not stock much of the dainese stuff anyway.

Too scary for me buying clothes for fit sight unseen and too immoral for me to try it on locally and then mail order.

How did you resolve the fit issue?

Well, funny thing is, the jacket I wanted to special order I ended up trying on vacation in Europe in one of their stores. They did not have the color I wanted, or I would have bought it on the spot. Or if you already have one of their jackets, just order the same size (go up a size for cold weather gear to allow more layers).

I was recently IN the Dainese store in Italy (Rome) and I can honestly say that it was the best shopping experience in my life... it's much better than any store I've been in here (GP, RD, RC etc.) and the service and product knowledge was top-notch.

That was my experience too, plus they have so much more stuff than what gets exported to NA!

Last edited:
How much did you save approximately when ordering online directly from Dainese compared to buying locally? I'm in the market for pants with sliders and a vented leather jacket for next summer, and the cheapest i've found is an Italian Online retailer.

How much did you save approximately when ordering online directly from Dainese compared to buying locally? I'm in the market for pants with sliders and a vented leather jacket for next summer, and the cheapest i've found is an Italian Online retailer.

It's definitely going to vary item to item, and what kinds of promotions they are running, but in my case it was equivalent to about 15%. The official dainese store occasionally runs free shipping promos and what not, so if you're not in a hurry, can sign up for their newsletter and get notified when they do that. While the store I used puts an all inclusive price, some stores may not, and you'd be charged taxes and duties upon delivery. If that is the case, you will typically see a price reduction in the cart once you specify shipping to Canada - they subtract the VAT when shipping outside the EU. I have to say that the main benefit of shopping from overseas stores is increased selection, not low prices.

Last December there was a big savings on boots compared to GP -- The TRQ were cheaper from them direct, plus they had a free shipping promo at the time. I ended up going with Supertechs though as I tried on the TRQ at the show and found them too uncomfortable for me (no matter the size, they pinched at the ankle bone causing pain).

Also, as much as I love GP Bikes (and visit/buy from them frequently), I have no qualms trying something on in store and ordering it direct from manufacturer if cheaper, especially when factoring in the item coming in from overseas, should there be a sizable difference in price. I'd gladly pay a few more dollars to get it locally, but not if you are talking 50-100+ and you are getting it direct. Not to mention 9 times out of 10 if I do go in to try a product like this in store, I also typically buy something else while I am there.

Last edited:

Ahaha the old biaggi vs rossi fued. Italians are like that. Each region tries to differentiate themselves. They do the same thing with soccer and language. As soon as you start driving towards san marino/rimini you can buy rossi gear at gas stations. Ask me how I know lol. I was surprised not to see any aprilias in italy either. All ducs.

I might try dainese online. Last time I ordered boots from gp they took over a month to come in. Geez

did you get taxed at the border?

Nope - I was in Europe for 2 weeks with my GF. Between the two of us we could declare all our stuff back without problems. I just mentioned to the girl that I was bringing back some top-notch motorc-- as she cut me off with a "here you go" and threw my passport back at my face.

Back
Top Bottom