Buying bearings | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying bearings

Most of the ball bearings should have part numbers stamped into them and possibly the manufacturer as well. In your example, Honda's parts fiche has told you that they are made by NTN. As with many parts, vehicle manufacturers outsource to a bearing manufacturer instead of reinventing the wheel, so to speak. Sometimes, they'll use a common bearing that's cheap and publicly available, and there's no reason to buy an original OE part. In the case of my belt pulley bearings, they're uncommon and are actually cheaper to buy from Ducati. Then there's the middle ground, like All Balls who done all the research for you and market low quality parts at mid-quality prices. Your best bet is to go to a CBR forum where they have likely a parts cross reference FAQ to find compatible parts at lower than OE prices.
I've bought lots of All Balls kits, they are pretty damn good quality if you ask me. They are a bit expensive - I paid $50 for a DT250 kit I just installed, I could have made it myself with $1 of Delrin, $1 of steel, $2 seals + a couple of hours putzing around finding specs and machining.

They are also complete, and typically include the items that could bur rarely wear. I've never replaced or repaired an All Balls item once installed, and I've replaced my fair share of the swingarm, steering head, and wheel bearings over the years.

nice model of cbr600

went to pick up some steering head bearings at the dealer recent - tech told me to use "waterproof"trailer bearing grease because its so thick and it will stick to the bearing surfaces for a very long time. maybe that would work for swingarm bearings..

best luck, nice ride !

nice model of cbr600

went to pick up some steering head bearings at the dealer recent - tech told me to use "waterproof"trailer bearing grease because its so thick and it will stick to the bearing surfaces for a very long time. maybe that would work for swingarm bearings..

best luck, nice ride !
Thank you! Here’s a picture of what my bike looked like when I bought it last year. The only things I am missing are the side fairing maintenance doors and mirrors. B1443A91-86E8-479F-BA21-BB9FF3B5AE29.jpeg

Here’s what my bike looks like now. Everything I have done, I have learned how to do since buying it, with lots of help from people at the CBRforum.com and here. And I still have so much to learn, seeing how much people here know how to do !

869F5A6D-6A9A-4028-B4F4-B2DDADC8D5F8.jpeg

Last edited:
LOL. It may take very long to be done with the spending money part and to get everything sorted out. I only see the bike on the weekends as it is at our cottage, and every weekend is a new problem to solve, and more money to spend on Amazon.

Truth is, the bike was pretty close to running when I bought it - it would start with starter fluid in the carbs. Since they I have to learn how to tear open the carbs completely and clean them, replace the fuel pump, test relays, extract broken bolts, replace oil and coolant, lubricate throttle and choke cable, remove swingarm and frozen pivot shaft and bearings. I didn't know how to do any of that stuff before, and removing stuck bearings I did as recently as yesterday with help from people here.

But as more and more pieces come off, I want to go deeper into it to make sure everything is as right as I can make them. Just spent $100 on bearings and bushings to rejuvenate the swingarm pivot.

Once that is done, I think the next problem is tackling the choke cable which snapped at handlebar end at the ferrule. There are no aftermarket cables, Motion Pro wants $90 for a custom one, so I think I am going to learn how to fabricate one myself.

After that, I may try to tackle carb syncing.

Previous owner warned me I would need to do fork seals as well. Probably should check out main rear suspension unit too.

I need to source some fairing parts and mirrors, and I know the tires are bald. Not sure about state of chain and sprockets, I assume chain O-rings are toast as I understood bike has sat for at least a half dozen years.

But I am learning and mostly having fun doing so. Wife not happy about the stready stream of charges on Amazon Prime though.

Back
Top Bottom