Buying a bike and travelling around Vietnam | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying a bike and travelling around Vietnam

regder

Site Supporter
You know, as in the Top Gear episode. Apparently it's pretty common thing for backpackers to do. Cheaper than renting a bike, and you can sell it for similar money in Hanoi/Saigon once you're done riding south to north or vice versa. Anyone done it, any tips?

My nephew did that last year with two friends as their finished University thing. They bought three bikes..... to start. Actually he alone bought 3 bikes in three weeks, would have to ask him how many in all between the three of them in three weeks. Many break downs and sudo mechanics paid between purchases. Rental seems to be the ticket in Vietnam. Drivers are nuts there.

I went from Ho Chi Mihn City to Hanoi twice. Once on my bicycle and once on a motorcycle. Great place to cycle either way. I prefer bicycle touring, but if you are lazy or don't have time, I guess the motorcycle is the way to go.

I wouldn't purchase a used bike there from backpackers, I would buy a Honda from a dealer with a warranty so even if you have a problem, any Honda dealer will fix it right away. You can always sell Honda in Vietnam without any issue. However, I would just rent one there. The last time I went the price ends up being $8 Per day.

I'd buy a new one, ride it and then give it to somebody who really needed it when I left, Vietnam is 3rd. world, thats fairly adventuresome if you don't have a guide. A guide on another bike would be nice, maybe a really pretty Saigon motorcycle guide or two? :D

Pack a really good water filter system.

I've been planning to do the ha giang loop. You're best off renting unless you're doing 6+ weeks. You can rent an XR150 which will be well maintained and come with breakdown coverage. A lot of tourists buy the ****** Chinese Honda knockoffs and spend half the time repairing/stranded. Like everything else in Vietnam it's super cheap. $10-$15 a day will get you a good rental bike. Be aware of the traffic and have realistic timelines - 200/300km is a lot for one day.

I've been planning to do the ha giang loop. You're best off renting unless you're doing 6+ weeks. You can rent an XR150 which will be well maintained and come with breakdown coverage. A lot of tourists buy the ****** Chinese Honda knockoffs and spend half the time repairing/stranded. Like everything else in Vietnam it's super cheap. $10-$15 a day will get you a good rental bike. Be aware of the traffic and have realistic timelines - 200/300km is a lot for one day.
#bigfacts. don't plan to be ripping it 80-100 all day, especially if there's nice hairpins and corners.

Thanks for the advice so far! I landed in Ho Chi Minh yesterday. Traffic and roads actually seem perfectly fine and organized by Asian standards, at least from what I have seen so far around District 1.

I would theoretically like to ride the bike around Vietnam and then into Cambodia (details seem grey as far as how easy it is for a tourist), with most likely a 30-60 day stay in the two countries making buying a bike more attractive in theory compared to renting. I haven't visited any rental/sales shops yet so this is just scratching the surface right now. Will explore the city on foot before I seriously start looking into the bike thing.

Thanks for the advice so far! I landed in Ho Chi Minh yesterday. Traffic and roads actually seem perfectly fine and organized by Asian standards, at least from what I have seen so far around District 1.

I would theoretically like to ride the bike around Vietnam and then into Cambodia (details seem grey as far as how easy it is for a tourist), with most likely a 30-60 day stay in the two countries making buying a bike more attractive in theory compared to renting. I haven't visited any rental/sales shops yet so this is just scratching the surface right now. Will explore the city on foot before I seriously start looking into the bike thing.
It's the country areas that you need to be on guard for. I find city traffic fairly predictable and while cars get close they seem very aware of your presence and i never saw any road rage.

In the future keep in mind the lighting after dark is probably abysmal and people do drink and drive frequently.

Not sure how much riding you've done in that part of the world but treat blind corners very carefully, the trucks will always be half into your lane coming the other way.

Enjoy! Small chance i'll be in Vietnam end of this year for a wedding but i may not get any riding in.

Make sure you go through the proper channels to license and insurance, most people don't and if you hurt or kill someone then it's the Hanoi Hilton for you. I've got an email somewhere with proper steps but you need to plan about 60 days in advance for the paperwork. I was only there a month so not enough time to sort it out, but heading back one day. Anyone will take your money there for a bike and "insurance" but it means nothing without a local license. Only reason I know is that someone I met had a friend in jail for this very reason

Do You Need a License to Ride a Motorbike in SE Asia?

Last edited:
Stay away from the trucks when you are in rural area. watch your back at red light. city is quite safe just go with the flow traffic flow is not very fast.
So basically same as here but everything is more compact.

Highly recommend you buy your own chop sticks to use ?

Make sure you go through the proper channels to license and insurance, most people don't and if you hurt or kill someone then it's the Hanoi Hilton for you. I've got an email somewhere with proper steps but you need to plan about 60 days in advance for the paperwork. I was only there a month so not enough time to sort it out, but heading back one day. Anyone will take your money there for a bike and "insurance" but it means nothing without a local license. Only reason I know is that someone I met had a friend in jail for this very reason

Do You Need a License to Ride a Motorbike in SE Asia?
In Thailand you only need internationals drivers licence. If you get checked by police without one it's 50-100$ fine every time. I got checked once so it paid for itself ($40 iirc)

I grew up in Vietnam and I still ride every time i come back to visit. to tell you the truth most truck drivers are on drug since they are forced to work long hour. Just be aware of your surrounding. The driver was tested positive on Meth.

Holy! that was a bad one! Almost looks like when that runaway transport truck took out all those cars on the 400 highway a couple years ago.

I grew up in Vietnam and I still ride every time i come back to visit. to tell you the truth most truck drivers are on drug since they are forced to work long hour. Just be aware of your surrounding. The driver was tested positive on Meth.
I trust they come down pretty hard on such an offence. Maybe they need a 'mothers against meth drivers' movement thing happening there. Or just turn him over to the crowd of angry scooter survivors for a while.

Back
Top Bottom