Buy motorcycle without license/insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buy motorcycle without license/insurance

garyintoronto

My friend is selling his Ninja 400 to get rid of the insurance payment.

Price is very good but I have to wait till Feb to get M1 and April M2. Before that, can we do title/ownership transfer without my license and insurance now?

or I cannot buy this bike til all license and insurance settled down.

You can buy it now and transfer the title to your name "unfit". When you get your license and insurance, then you can plate it (fit). You'll need a safety certificate at that time too, but don't get it too soon, because they're only valid for 36 days from the date of inspection.

You can buy it now and transfer the title to your name "unfit". When you get your license and insurance, then you can plate it (fit). You'll need a safety certificate at that time too, but don't get it too soon, because they're only valid for 36 days from the date of inspection.

You can get it transferred certified as well, it will be classed as "FIT - UNPLATED".

Get plates after you get insurance, which you can get after you get your M1.

Thanks! As a buyer what materials should I request from seller? I remember there is a UVIP right and safety certification?

Thanks! As a buyer what materials should I request from seller? I remember there is a UVIP right and safety certification?
Legally, the seller is supposed to provide the UVIP. Unfortunately, most sellers either don't (or pretend not to) know that. I would remind them of this and request that they have it before you go to see it. There's nothing stopping you from getting it yourself, but then you have to wait in line at Service Ontario which is a pain, or order online and wait for delivery.

I don't think there is a legal responsibility for the seller to provide a safety certificate, so that's between you and the seller to negotiate. Again, better to let them do it since it may be easier for them to ride it to a shop while it's insured under their name, rather than for you to have to trailer it.

UVIP, saftey and registration.

Oh yeah, duh, the ownership must be signed over. And either the UVIP needs to be used for the bill of sale, or a separate bill of sale needs to be signed.

Legally, the seller is supposed to provide the UVIP. Unfortunately, most sellers either don't (or pretend not to) know that. I would remind them of this and request that they have it before you go to see it. There's nothing stopping you from getting it yourself, but then you have to wait in line at Service Ontario which is a pain, or order online and wait for delivery.

I don't think there is a legal responsibility for the seller to provide a safety certificate, so that's between you and the seller to negotiate. Again, better to let them do it since it may be easier for them to ride it to a shop while it's insured under their name, rather than for you to have to trailer it.
Thanks bro, so the UVIP and safety certification are necessary for ownership transfer right?

Thanks bro, so the UVIP and safety certification are necessary for ownership transfer right?
just uvip and registration, the saftey isn't required but it's for your benefit.

Forgot to mention, I'm speaking from an Ontario perspective. For reference:

This is what Service Ontario requires from you to transfer the ownership to your name:
1. Vehicle permit (aka ownership) with the completed Application for Transfer portion on the back and signed by the currently registered owner
2. UVIP
3. Bill of sale (either use the template included with UVIP, or make standalone one - see below)
4. Driver's license (for identification purposes, not sure what else is accepted)
5. $32 fee for printing out a new vehicle permit
6. Taxes on the purchase price shown on the bill of sale (currently HST); UVIP for motorcycles don't currently show a wholesale value

As mentioned, the seller is supposed to provide the UVIP so you can review the history, branding, and lien status BEFORE you decide to buy. It also has a bill of sale section that's normally used to keep it all together. If for some reason you decide to buy the bike without the UVIP (I wouldn't except in very special circumstances such as a parts or track bike), you can get one yourself either online (delivered by mail) or in person at Service Ontario, and you can actually get it at the same time you go to transfer ownership. Just beware that if it shows a problem, you may not be able to register (if there's a lien) and/or plate it later (if it's branded). If the UVIP is clear, then you'll get a new vehicle permit printed out with your name as the registered owner, and marked "unfit" (which just means it hasn't passed a safety inspection and therefore can't be plated until done).

This is what they additionally require from you to plate the bike, either at time of transfer, or later:
1. Safety certificate
2. Proof of insurance
3. Fee for new plate (since you don't have one already to reuse) - can't find the price and can't remember
4. $42 annual fee for plate validation sticker (southern Ontario)
5. If you plate it at a different time from when you transfer ownership, then you'll need to pay the $32 fee again for printing a new permit with the updated plate portion.

This is what Service Ontario requires from you to transfer the ownership to your name:
1. Vehicle permit (aka ownership) with the completed Application for Transfer portion on the back and signed by the currently registered owner
2. UVIP
3. Bill of sale (either use the template included with UVIP, or make standalone one - see below)
4. Driver's license (for identification purposes, not sure what else is accepted)
6. Taxes on the purchase price shown on the bill of sale (currently HST); UVIP for motorcycles don't currently show a wholesale value

As mentioned, the seller is supposed to provide the UVIP so you can review the history, branding, and lien status BEFORE you decide to buy. It also has a bill of sale section that's normally used to keep it all together. If for some reason you decide to buy the bike without the UVIP (I wouldn't except in very special circumstances such as a parts or track bike), you can get one yourself either online (delivered by mail) or in person at Service Ontario, and you can actually get it at the same time you go to transfer ownership. Just beware that if it shows a problem, you may not be able to register (if there's a lien) and/or plate it later (if it's branded). If the UVIP is clear, then you'll get a new vehicle permit printed out with your name as the registered owner, and marked "unfit" (which just means it hasn't passed a safety inspection and therefore can't be plated until done).

This is what they additionally require from you to plate the bike, either at time of transfer, or later:
1. Safety certificate
2. Proof of insurance
3. Fee for new plate (since you don't have one already to reuse) - can't find the price and can't remember
5. If you plate it at a different time from when you transfer ownership, then you'll need to pay the $32 fee again for printing a new permit with the updated plate portiont

2. UVIP

1. Safety certificate
2. Proof of insurance
5. If you plate it at a different time from when you transfer ownership, then you'll need to pay the $32 fee again for printing a new permit with the updated plate portion.
Thanks for all these detailed information. You mentioned i need driver license to process ownership transfer for identification purpose, which mean car drive license is fine, cuz I don’t have M1 yet.

I just recently transferred a motorcycle to my name - just the title change (no safety, no insurance) as I put it in storage for winter.

To answer your question on the license - they use it for photo and address proof. Also, to put in the address in the ownership! so a car license should suffice for now.

I just recently transferred a motorcycle to my name - just the title change (no safety, no insurance) as I put it in storage for winter.

To answer your question on the license - they use it for photo and address proof. Also, to put in the address in the ownership! so a car license should suffice for now.
I am relieved, thanks! which bike you buy?

Thank you so much for these detailed replys! I will be RTI NORTH YORK site on 3,4 April, are you an instructor there?
no sorry i teach at learning curves currently, but i am in north york. where are they teaching it?

Back
Top Bottom