Burning Man | GTAMotorcycle.com

Burning Man

gaihosa

It's been on my bucket list to ride to the Burning Man one day. I have done lots of research and know pretty whats involved which is alot. I was wondering if anyone here has ever attended. Perhaps I could pick your brain a little.

Thanks

It's been on my bucket list to ride to the Burning Man one day. I have done lots of research and know pretty whats involved which is alot. I was wondering if anyone here has ever attended. Perhaps I could pick your brain a little.

I looked into this a while ago.

Riding a motorcycle into Burning Man requires considerable assistance. Unless things have changed, you are required to bring in everything you need to help you survive for an entire week during the hottest time of year in the Nevada desert. The biggest hurdle is bringing enough water and food. Next is shelter, because you will need to be under cover during the hottest parts of the day. Then upon leaving, you are required to carry all your waste out with you.

Most people who ride in on a motorcycle do so as part of a caravan, and the cars and trucks bring in water, food and shelter for them. If you are not part of a group, then the next best thing is to tow some kind of trailer with all your supplies.

Good luck and look forward to reading your write-up.

I looked into this a while ago.

Riding a motorcycle into Burning Man requires considerable assistance. Unless things have changed, you are required to bring in everything you need to help you survive for an entire week during the hottest time of year in the Nevada desert. The biggest hurdle is bringing enough water and food. Next is shelter, because you will need to be under cover during the hottest parts of the day. Then upon leaving, you are required to carry all your waste out with you.

Most people who ride in on a motorcycle do so as part of a caravan, and the cars and trucks bring in water, food and shelter for them. If you are not part of a group, then the next best thing is to tow some kind of trailer with all your supplies.

Good luck and look forward to reading your write-up.
Thankyou for the informative reply. I know most of that and have basically figured out how I'm bringing enough water and food. What I really would like is to find a group heading from Ontario.

Have you ever gone?

Burning man just looks like a circus for posers these days. I’d be interested in just staying in the desert without all the associated crap.
I'm still interested in attending and yes desert camping would be awesome. I crossed the Mojave this summer on the ì40. Not really adventuring in the desert but was an experience i would love to repeat more indepth.

I'll bite. How are you carrying a weeks worth of water on two wheels. Once I'm packed for camping it can be hard to find room for the beer.

I'll bite. How are you carrying a weeks worth of water on two wheels. Once I'm packed for camping it can be hard to find room for the beer.
What I have read from the Burning Man website is you need 1.5 gallons or 5.6 liters of water to survive each day. If I go for the full ten days it's 56 liters which is just over my top case capacity but, much less if you go for fewer days. I have two side cases approximately the same size so lots of storage space. As for food, in the desert and heat, you eat little anyways so dihydrated food or beef jerky ( as I have read) is all you need. As for the rest, it's the summer so summer gear, a small tent (you're on sand so no need for a mattress), and some sort of battery/solar charger for your phone/camera. If you join a camp which you should, someone will be driving a car or bigger vehicle, they can carry your supplies for you. That's how I'm doing it.

probably not the same thing, but watch the latest Itchy Boots videos on her being in a rally in Mexico...doesn't look easy at all, but then again, she's going over all sorts of terrains...

What I have read from the Burning Man website is you need 1.5 gallons or 5.6 liters of water to survive each day. If I go for the full ten days it's 56 liters which is just over my top case capacity but, much less if you go for fewer days. I have two side cases approximately the same size so lots of storage space. As for food, in the desert and heat, you eat little anyways so dihydrated food or beef jerky ( as I have read) is all you need. As for the rest, it's the summer so summer gear, a small tent (you're on sand so no need for a mattress), and some sort of battery/solar charger for your phone/camera. If you join a camp which you should, someone will be driving a car or bigger vehicle, they can carry your supplies for you. That's how I'm doing it.
56 liters of water weighs 123 pounds....
Have you tried sleeping on sand? I got my p/u stuck at the beach once and the Squeeze and I spent a night on the sand. Worst night ever.

Yup. Even on sand I'd my thermorest.

I would think consuming only dehydrated food or salty beef jerky would increase your water requirements not leave them static. Aside that, there's a big difference between what you need to "survive" versus thrive or enjoy.

If going to the event is the point, I'd make sure I'm well prepared to enable myself to really enjoy it and maintain the option to stay for the duration.

Sleeping on the ground when you're young is fine for a couple nights but feels like crap when you're older. Even a simple foam pad will improve your experience.

Just my opinion. Enjoy your journey however you choose to experience it.

I would think consuming only dehydrated food or salty beef jerky would increase your water requirements not leave them static. Aside that, there's a big difference between what you need to "survive" versus thrive or enjoy.

If going to the event is the point, I'd make sure I'm well prepared to enable myself to really enjoy it and maintain the option to stay for the duration.

Sleeping on the ground when you're young is fine for a couple nights but feels like crap when you're older. Even a simple foam pad will improve your experience.

Just my opinion. Enjoy your journey however you choose to experience it.
I got the beef jerky idea from the Burning Man guide t surviving the desert. You get your electrolytes back and don't eat much in the heat. I can agree with the not eating a lot part. I rode the southern states this summer and never really got hungry and didn't eat much.

It's the desert so sleeping on the ground may be the only choice however I am still trying to find a camp to join. Depending on what happens that may change things.

56 liters of water weighs 123 pounds....
Have you tried sleeping on sand? I got my p/u stuck at the beach once and the Squeeze and I spent a night on the sand. Worst night ever.
I guess there's sand and then there's sand.

A buddy and I hiked into a secluded beach on Lake Superior with marginal equipment and camped on a deserted beach. Well away from the water the sand was loose.

At night I laid down in the tent and shifted a bit. The sand conformed to my body and that's all I remembered until the heat of the sun woke me up the next morning.

I guess there's sand and then there's sand.

A buddy and I hiked into a secluded beach on Lake Superior with marginal equipment and camped on a deserted beach. Well away from the water the sand was loose.

At night I laid down in the tent and shifted a bit. The sand conformed to my body and that's all I remembered until the heat of the sun woke me up the next morning.
That sounds reasonable. We had maybe two towels between us on a cool night.

Back
Top Bottom