Build your own tools? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Build your own tools?

AGAVE

Site Supporter
I wanted to purchase a nice horizontal drum sander until i saw the price$$$ of them. :shock:
So i decided to build the machine myself and save 1000$.
I try to keep my budget to 0$ just to prove it can be done, but i went all out this time and spent 50$ so far.
(weed not included) :D

My neighbour has a floor sanding machine with a drum that was a bit beat up, he was gonna toss it, that was the most important part to find, so i grabbed it and the project was underway!
Had to spent 20$ at a machine shop to have a 1" hole reamed through the drum and pulley, spent another 20$ for a shaft and 10$ more for a new spool of welding wire.

Here's part 1, got most of the thing together, needs final welding, some sheet metal, maybe wheels too.

[video=youtube;cgVp1NDSTy4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgVp1NDSTy4&context=C3ba8733ADOEgsToPDskIsGSASJq9aZWC7ZCqpmCSM[/video]

... but i went all out this time and spent 50$ so far.
(weed not included) :D

I hope you're not like me... $50 on parts, $2000 on weed - 3 months and you have a lot of ash and a $50 receipt for only god knows what... **Buy more weed**

Haha

Show pics when it's finally done!

- Randy

I have a whole book here on building your own stationary machinery, saws, spindle shapers, sanders. And another book on building and modifying hand tools , planes, scribes and fixtures.
Its easier and less expensive than you'd think. I've been a closet woodworker my whole life.

Good or bad, the Chinese killed an industry overnite with small woodworking machinery. I'm a consultant for a manufacturer that builds affordable, reasonable tools in China for the NA market. I love using handmade fine tools, but a 10" sliding compound saw for $189? hard not to own 2 or 3.

Good or bad, the Chinese killed an industry overnite with small woodworking machinery. I'm a consultant for a manufacturer that builds affordable, reasonable tools in China for the NA market. I love using handmade fine tools, but a 10" sliding compound saw for $189? hard not to own 2 or 3.

China has killed many industries here not to mention the skills and manufacturing techniques we taught them.

In China, they would replicate your tool and use it at will. In Ontario, the Ministry of Labour would shut that **** down. Nice work though, look forward to the video of it sanding something, the dust is gonna fly.

I've got it pretty much finished, just needs the frame painted, i'm waiting for a warmer day so i can do it outside.
After a couple rounds of development testing, i've implemented some safety barriers, just in case someone from Ontario wants to try it. :p
I made sure i closed in the drum area as tight as possible, so far the dust collection has been working well.

I'll take a video when it's done.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom