Bugatti Chiron going 417 KPH on autobahn | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bugatti Chiron going 417 KPH on autobahn

Hope he enjoyed it. The tires only last 15 minutes at that speed before needing replacement.

I laugh when I see headlines like this. Like the 400+ hp cars with reviews of how fast they accelerate. Some of the humans on this planet are fighting to get green and some are racing from traffic light to traffic light to impress strangers with how stupid they are. The world needs a reality check.

While I loved the Hemi (way back in that brief time in the 70s when we had heaps of cheap oil [until OPEC got their act together] and we thought it would last forever), thank God FCA has set 2023 as the last year of production for this useless need for excess. Sad, too bad, but in a changing world that is getting more real every day, I can honestly say, "good riddance".

While I loved the Hemi (way back in that brief time in the 70s when we had heaps of cheap oil [until OPEC got their act together] and we thought it would last forever), thank God FCA has set 2023 as the last year of production for this useless need for excess. Sad, too bad, but in a changing world that is getting more real every day, I can honestly say, "good riddance".

Back in the mid 70's a guy down the street from me in Montreal had a garage where he did custom work on Hemi's and muscle car restoration in general. He had a '67 fastback Charger as a project car and his personal vehicles included a '68 or '69 Charger with a 426 Hemi and a Toyota Land Cruiser with a 426 Hemi in it as well. One of his buddies had a Land Cruiser with a Ford 428 Cobra Jet engine and he let me, about 19 or 20 at the time, take it for a test drive. This jeep accelerated much harder than my Yamaha 750. These "useless need for excess " vehicles were pretty cool in the day, especially the 426 Hemi jeep.

Sorry, but that's reckless. Events happen fast at 417KPH. What if one of those other cars manoeuvred into their lane as they approached? Catastrophe!
That happened to a Motortrend writer back in 2014. I'd never take that risk personally as well.

These "useless need for excess " vehicles were pretty cool in the day, especially the 426 Hemi jeep.
A friend has a mostly handbuilt hemi jeep (finished last year, base vehicle was a 2018 rubicon but there isn't much of it left in the finished product). It's cool but not my thing. No doors and side pipes make it way too loud for me.

I lived in Netherlands for a few years long time ago and when I was traveling back/forth to Russia - I really loved and appreciated German Autobahn where you can really see your car's (near) maximum speed.. even if it lasted for minutes... On the other hand - Chiron is totally different ballgame with it's crazy top speed, I only wish I can try it (in my next life :))

One of his buddies had a Land Cruiser with a Ford 428 Cobra Jet engine and he let me, about 19 or 20 at the time, take it for a test drive.

One of my bosses many years ago had a '81 Datsun 280ZX Turbo. She desperately needed someone to work a full day shift for her one weekend and I cut a deal to work the shift in exchange for the next day with her car.

Me and that car had fun together. What a total handful it was, but oh so fun. :cool:

. ...........and side pipes make it way too loud for me.

This guy built 3 Land Cruiser conversions that I was aware of, his own 426 Hemi, a 428 CJ and a Chevrolet 350 LT1. All had dual exhaust and proper mufflers. Great exhaust note, but not obnoxious.

Back in the mid 70's a guy down the street from me in Montreal had a garage where he did custom work on Hemi's and muscle car restoration in general. He had a '67 fastback Charger as a project car and his personal vehicles included a '68 or '69 Charger with a 426 Hemi and a Toyota Land Cruiser with a 426 Hemi in it as well. One of his buddies had a Land Cruiser with a Ford 428 Cobra Jet engine and he let me, about 19 or 20 at the time, take it for a test drive. This jeep accelerated much harder than my Yamaha 750. These "useless need for excess " vehicles were pretty cool in the day, especially the 426 Hemi jeep.
And now we are in a new era, out goes the old, in comes the new. Many EVs now will blow the Hemis away, especially the Plaid at 2 seconds to 100 kph. That's insane and on a level of the old Funny Cars and dragsters. It almost defys physics, how can a rubber tire spin up that fast without losing traction to even make this possible? A Plaid is a fraction the cost of a Chiron, but the reality remains that traffic lights spaced 1/8 kilometer apart and highway speed limits make this modern excess totally useless.

so you have no limit highways, but then you get criticized for speeding, when technically you didn't do anything illegal?

...every rule that we have comes about because of asshats like this (the driver).
Agree. Speeds of 200 to 250 kph are reasonably expected. Anytime you are going a marked departure from the expected speeds that is when disasters happen and rules get changed to enshrine expected speeds in law.

Back
Top Bottom