Buell is back | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buell is back

Or perhaps they're just different for the sake of being different.
I think this is the case.

As I recall his whole design ideas revolved around mass centralization and the perceived benefits. I don't really think the trade offs were worth it in terms of performance and I believe there were issues around the fuel getting heated in the frame and containment issues for the oil in the swingarm.

If they are making a comeback, that late in 2024, then they should stick to all electric! Doubt they will be able to sell any models in Europe that have ICE
I agree with the all electric idea but then the fuel in frame and oil in the swingarm stuff needs to be reengineered out. Might as well start with a clean page.

Always liked the fuel in the frame and oil in the S.A. ideas. I think you can look at this another way. Perhaps they're great ideas no one else has thought of.
Interesting in concept, not ideal in reality. Perimeter brakes have had their deficiencies highlighted elsewhere here. Oil in swingarm = unsprung weight = bad (also leaks). Fuel in frame deletes the tank, sure, but creates all sorts of packaging and heat issues that can't be solved because it also needs to function as a tuned frame. Fuel under the seat is a much more effective approach to addressing airbox size that has been successfully applied in racing for years.

Racing is a great crucible for ideas vs. reality. The fact that none of his 'signature' ideas have been used successfully at the track tells you everything you need to know...

He was a lot closer with the EBR bikes than he got with Buell, as he wasn't hamstrung by the HD insanity. Still, they would've been better bikes without the adherence to ineffective ideas.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom