Would you buy a BRP?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Consider it

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters
if they came out with a street legal 2 stroke twin they wouldn't be able to take my money fast enough

CanAm built dirt bikes in the past (1970s).

I wouldn't exclude them but I kind of suspect that they are better off staying with a market niche that they have to themselves right now. Building something more mainstream means going into market segments with a lot more competition and pricing pressure. Also, right now, they are an engine manufacturer which is a supplier to other brands. Going into competition with your own customers can be a contract shortening experience. Same reason Magna doesn't build a Canadian car brand of their own. They could ... but it's more lucrative to be a parts supplier to everyone else.

I don't think they supply engines to any 2 wheel motorcycles any more though.
EBR was their last customer I believe?

I also don't think competition is the reason Magna doesn't build cars.
They are a different kind of business whereas BRP has all the tools and venues needed since they are already deep in the power sports market.

Last edited:
Ottawa has given the Bombardier family so much help over the years that I hope they offer some free promo bikes. Say the first 1000 riders who can sing "Gens du pays" backwards get a shiny new BRP. There can be an ongoing debate over what to call them: Braps or Burps.

Last edited:
Ottawa has given the Bombardier family so much help over the years that I hope they offer some free promo bikes. Say the first 1000 riders who can sing "Gens du pays" backwards get a shiny new BRP. There can be an ongoing debate over what to call them: Braps or Burps.

I'm not that interested in shoring up the profits of a Quebec dynasty either.

I thought the only that thing BRP had left to do with the Bombardier family was the name

BRP (Bombardier Recreational Products) is a separate company from the Bombardier that builds airplanes and tries to build trains. They split quite a while ago.

BRP (Bombardier Recreational Products) is a separate company from the Bombardier that builds airplanes and tries to build trains. They split quite a while ago.

From the Wikipedia page: "In 2003, Bombardier Inc. sold its Recreational Products Division to a group of investors: Bain Capital (50%), the Bombardier family (35%), and the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (15%)."

Gens du pays, c'est votre tour
De vous laisser parler d'amour
Gens du pays c'est votre tour
De vous laisser parler d'amour

Doing that backwards is gonna be tough.

I used to work for Bombardier and spoke with some of the guys that were split off as BRP later. Their engineering was based on how many hours do we need this stuff to work to get past the warranty period. It's amazing how few hours they assumed most people run a PWC or snowmobile per year. As such, I wouldn't want to buy their products unless I was just going to use it occasionally and sell it before the warranty expired.

Back
Top Bottom