Brake overhaul 02 sv650 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Brake overhaul 02 sv650

SVeezy

The front brake on my bike has been less than linear for some time. It’s definitely something I should have addressed sooner but the time has come. It is an intermittent issue but is not infrequent. I’d like to think a brake system flush would solve the issue but I doubt it. Any suggestions as to the root of the issue? For lack of a better way to put it the front brake is “grabby” not smooth

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

What do you mean, "less than linear"?? Do you mean the amount of braking increases/decreases when the pressure on the lever remains constant? Possibly contaminated brake fluid or contaminated pads. Water in the fluid or oil on the pads/rotor.

If you're not getting any pulsing. It may be a number of things:

1) Suspension not dialed in or in need of fluid or change. The quick dive makes the brakes feel grabby.
2) Contaminated or glazed brake pads. Road contamination is unlikely, sometimes fork oil or brakefluid contaminates pads.
3) Sticky caliper or lose caliper bolt.

My experience is #2 is the most common.

Clean the calipers (including the pistons) and lubricate the pivot for the brake lever.

A cheap solution might be to take the pads out and clean the rotors & pads with a can of brake clean (wear glovers). If that doesn't fix it, I'd replace & bleed the lines with fresh fluid. Finally go to a rebuild kit.

Glazed rear brake pads I believe, but wouldn’t affect the front brakes. I haven’t gotten into the front to really see yet. Addressing less than linear, apply slowly increasing front brake pressure and the lever is not smooth. It feels notchy at times

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Last edited:
sounds like you have a sticking piston in the master cyl and/or the brake caliper(s). your bike is nearly 20 years old, and I would rebuild (kit) both calipers and the master cyl given the sv's age.

As an alternative to rebuilding the stock 2 piston calipers, you can replace them using the nissan 4 piston calipers from any year honda F4i (600) while keeping the sv's stock master cylinder. Its an upgrade proven by racers. look here; SouV650 All Model Years 4 Piston Nissin Brake Caliper Adapter
Brackets

and it would make sense to replace the stock rubber flex lines with stainless steel lines.

on the other hand if this is just a beater bike w/o your luv, first try cleaning the calipers as suggested by @brian.p
here's a video of clean up; with kit rubber bits/seals

the only thing I would have done differently in this video is to use new pads. your call...

Last edited:
sounds like you have a sticking piston in the master cyl and/or the brake caliper(s). your bike is nearly 20 years old, and I would rebuild (kit) both calipers and the master cyl given the sv's age.

As an alternative to rebuilding the stock 2 piston calipers, you can replace them using the nissan 4 piston calipers from any year honda F4i (600) while keeping the sv's stock master cylinder. Its an upgrade proven by racers. look here; SouV650 All Model Years 4 Piston Nissin Brake Caliper Adapter
Brackets

and it would make sense to replace the stock rubber flex lines with stainless steel lines.

on the other hand if this is just a beater bike w/o your luv, first try cleaning the calipers as suggested by @brian.p
here's a video of clean up; with kit rubber bits/seals

the only thing I would have done differently in this video is to use new pads. your call...

Appreciate the info. New pads are going in all around and definitely going to start by cleaning the calipers and lubing the lever pivot.

I wouldn’t call it my beater bike but also not my forever bike so I’m probably only going to invest what’s needed.

Thanks to all for the help and I will update once I actually have the time to start digging in

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back
Top Bottom