Brake fluid? KTM 1190 ADV | GTAMotorcycle.com

Brake fluid? KTM 1190 ADV

Clutt-225

So last summer was my first with my Ktm. Part way through the year my rear brake became very spongy so I bleed out the dark fluid for some fresh Motorex dot 5.
It only stayed clean and clear for about a month or two probably 2 or 3,000km.
So I changed it again also doing the front At the same time.
Its been about the same mileage again and it’s dark again, still working but dark.
How frequently should I need to change brake fluid? I do understand it’s a pretty fast and heavy bike with a small reservoir. Just wondering if this is normal.

Dot 5? Sure about that? Not 5.1, not 4 or 3, but 5 (not 5.1)?

DOT 5 (not 5.1!) is silicone based and is absolutely not compatible with the DOT 3 - 4 - 5.1 series of brake fluids.

The normal recommendation is to change it every two years. Hard use (racetrack, high temperature, etc) can require more frequent fluid changes.

Whew!

It should go longer than a couple of months if you are not racing it. Check that the cap is sealing properly.

Are KTM's like Ducati's? The clutch slave reservoir on most Ducs goes black after a couple of hours. It doesn't hurt anything, it's just ugly. I think it's the seals used in the oem slaves, because aftermarket slaves don't do it.

I assume hydraulic clutch on your ktm? Probably calls for mineral oil? Is there a schedule for that, or does mineral oil not get contaminated?

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Reply yes the hydraulic clutch is mineral oil. I haven’t done anything with that yet.
only reason I changed brake fluid was the rear got spongy. It still working I was just aware of the discolouration. Also noticed some videos of people havi what looks like an 80‘s tennis head band around the front brake res. What is that called and what does it do?

Reply yes the hydraulic clutch is mineral oil. I haven’t done anything with that yet.
only reason I changed brake fluid was the rear got spongy. It still working I was just aware of the discolouration. Also noticed some videos of people havi what looks like an 80‘s tennis head band around the front brake res. What is that called and what does it do?
If you crash and break the reservoir, the "brake sock" is supposed to absorb some fluid and stop it from splashing about. Brake fluid can screw up dash plastics and strip paint. It gives some u.v. protection if the fluid is in direct sunlight.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Race bike stuff.Overheated brakes can push brake fluid back up into the reservoir,where it could spill over and cause problems.All the cool kids fit them onto their streetbikes.

• Haha
Reactions: TK4
Heat from the exhaust is often to blame for the rears going mushy quicker.

Back
Top Bottom