Bradford motorcyclist makes it home | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bradford motorcyclist makes it home

Michael0124

Site Supporter
I had been following this story from the start, glad to see he made it home. He got his M2 last year and decided to ride to Panama and back, then covid19 hit and he had to race home from Mexico. Might be a movie some day.

Great adventure. Unfortunate timing.

I'd love to do something like this some day.

Good story. The one thing that I want to know is what bike was it. Probably a KLR

A M2 is valid in the half dozen countries you have to go through to get to Panama?

Some great pics on his Instagram. Lukas (@lukas.robert) • Instagram photos and videos

From his latest Instagram post:

It was April 21st I decided to go out and get a motorcycle license with the crazy idea of riding around the world. Never ridden a motorcycle before. Haha ya: sounds like a great idea ?
But after buying my motorcycle and riding around for the first time I was sold. This is the way to see the world.
However, I was really questioning myself, whether:
(1) could deal with camping for so long (I’ve done very little in my life) and (2) mexico?! Am I crazy? Isn’t it unsafe? There’s cartel! Corrupt police! And [insert] every rumour you hear.
Plus I sure did pick a great time to leave. A motorcycle trip beginning in December...with the snow. I really am nuts. (I couldn’t leave any earlier though). But despite my hesitation, on December 16th, I bundled up and off I went in weather that was 20 Celsius below.
Snow, ice. Wind. Rain. Desert. As a motorcyclist you’ll always be riding through crazy stuff. That is just known. The hardest part of leaving is facing “the unknown”. What is Mexico really like? How does the desert actually feel?
Special shoutout to @buckabroad for giving me that final nudge that despite the unknowns, everything will be alright. (Another Canadian who rode to Panama and back). I can’t describe adequately what travelling is like on a motorcycle in so few words but it’s incredibly liberating and I love seeing the world on a bike.
Slow paced. In nature. Seeing the spaces in between. No restrictions on where you can go. This is my continent and I was fortunate enough to see it.
My plans for the United States certainly changed but I appreciate that I was even able to even make it home to Canada. Borders closing up. Empty shelves everywhere. And many Canadians who are simply stranded away from home. I really hope you can all make it home!

This trip tested me physically and mentally in so many ways. My body was completely giving up at the end.
But I proved to myself what I can accomplish on my own.
For all the ups and downs. Good luck and bad. I can look back and say “I did that”. Don’t be afraid of taking that first step. #canadatopanama #lukasdoesaroadtrip #panamatocanada #advmotorcycle #klr

Going without proper rain gear would seem to be a major oversight. Proper gear makes even the most inhospitable weather much less of an issue. Being soaking wet in near zero temps (relying on garbage bags?) is a recipe for being miserable at best, or is downright dangerous at worst.

insufficient gear is pretty much most new riders - the experience and memories he gained out of this is incredible i'm sure.

insufficient gear is pretty much most new riders - the experience and memories he gained out of this is incredible i'm sure.

Indeed, and on further thought, I remember the first time I rode to Port Dover for PD13 in 1994 and nearly died because I was freezing as well. ;)

Back
Top Bottom