Bought in Quebec a motorcycle and register in ontario | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bought in Quebec a motorcycle and register in ontario

D

david Lorenzo

Hey my GTA friends,

I have a big question for you ahahah,

I live in Ottawa and i have a Ontario motorcycle licence. I just bought a harley davidson sporster 1200 in Quebec city. The bike was great and clean.

What should i do for register this bike in Ontario province ? It's difficult or easy ?

Thanks for you help.

could be anywhere on the spectrum of easy to not possible
I'd start by getting a UVIP based on the VIN

Where is the bike now? There have been past threads where people went through the steps (IIRC involving weirdness of registering in QC and paying tax and then unwinding that mess when you transfer registration to ON). As J_F said, it can be anywhere on the spectrum between straight forward and impossible depending on the history of the bike.

could be anywhere on the spectrum of easy to not possible
I'd start by getting a UVIP based on the VIN

The Quebec version of checking liens is the RDPRM (Registre des Droits Personnels et Réels Mobiliers):

However, it's in Tabernac and the website is purposely designed to be très difficile for dirty Anglophones, so you can get the same thing done via PPSA (Personal Property Securty Act):

Should be roughly the same cost as running a UVIP on an Ontario-registered vehicle.

Hopefully this check works out in your favour, since you've already bought the bike -- and any liens associated with it.

thanks for your quick answers.

The bike is in Quebec city now. the bike is in good condition, every light and flasher are okey, tires are news.

If you have solution tell me, thanks a lot

Can i make UVIP and SSC Ontario with a Quebec bike ?

Op,

If you’ve made the purchase, bring the ownership and bill of sale to service Ontario to change the ownership into your name.

If you need it plated, you’ll need an Safety Certificate issued in Ontario.

You’ll pay taxes based on the amount on the bill of sale and pay for the used vehicle package.

Service Ontario should be able to walk you through things. You don’t need the bike but you do need the ownership to get things rolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought my bike in Terrebonne, Quebec. I paid taxes in Quebec, and rode it back on a temporary plate. Once in Ontario, on the way back home, I stopped over at a service Ontario in Perth, registered & plated the bike (registered under my current Ontario address) and rode it back to Burlington.

Mine was new, bought from a dealer.

Perhaps this helps.

Hey. Ever get this figured out? Selling private Quebec to Ontario?

Can't be too hard. When my buddy had to abandon his Ninja on the JBR he ended up buying a replacement in Quebec and rode it home. Couple hours at the dealer while me and my other friend went for lunch, then we were off. That was about 2010.

Just did this. Bring the signed PQ title and a bill of sale to Service Ontario.
Pay Tax and some nominal fee.
Done.
Aren’t you filing to recover the taxes paid in Quebec?

I think what they meant is for a private sale. Bring the Quebec title, signed by the previous owner, and the bill of sale to Service Ontario. Pay taxes based on purchase price and get Ontario ownership.
No taxes paid in Quebec.
What do you mean "get Ontario ownership" ?

If you buy it there and the owner signs the bill of sale , that's it, you are the owner. What does the province have to do with it?

What do you mean "get Ontario ownership" ?

If you buy it there and the owner signs the bill of sale , that's it, you are the owner. What does the province have to do with it?

Every province has a different system for vehicle registration. A Quebec-registered vehicle has a Quebec ownership/registration.

If you buy a QC vehicle, you have to go to the MTO to register it in the province's system and change the ownership to an Ontario ownership/registration.

Same goes if you move to any other province in Canada - you have to re-register your vehicle with that new province's system and you'll get new ownership papers in the process.

Every province has a different system for vehicle registration. A Quebec-registered vehicle has a Quebec ownership/registration.

If you buy a QC vehicle, you have to go to the MTO to register it in the province's system and change the ownership to an Ontario ownership/registration.

Same goes if you move to any other province in Canada - you have to re-register your vehicle with that new province's system and you'll get new ownership papers in the process.
My bad for not clarifying everything.

My case is different because I plan to get the bike in a container and ship it to Europe and register/drive it there.

The word ownership being the same as registration is a little bit misleading because you become the owner buy buying the bike and the seller signing the bill of sale.

Registerinf on the other hand should signify putting plates on it, that would be more precise if you ask me.

So I think in my case , I do not plan on registering the bike and do not need to pay taxes either in QC or Ontario.

I think that the only thing I need is the bill of sale and signed back of the permit of the bike, for the transfer. That way I become the owner and I can prove it with the documents mentioned above.

Does this make sense at all

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

You are going to have to talk to the border and the country that you are importing it to.

I doubt that you will be able to ship an unregistered motorcycle and there is no way to get around paying the taxes. There may be a way to get reimbursed later depending on your citizenship.

You are pretty far out in the weeds here. I think you need to do a bunch of research on this before you buy anything.

My bad for not clarifying everything.

My case is different because I plan to get the bike in a container and ship it to Europe and register/drive it there.

The word ownership being the same as registration is a little bit misleading because you become the owner buy buying the bike and the seller signing the bill of sale.

Registerinf on the other hand should signify putting plates on it, that would be more precise if you ask me.

So I think in my case , I do not plan on registering the bike and do not need to pay taxes either in QC or Ontario.

I think that the only thing I need is the bill of sale and signed back of the permit of the bike, for the transfer. That way I become the owner and I can prove it with the documents mentioned above.

Does this make sense at all

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
That makes sense. It will be difficult to get the bike in your name without paying taxes. As SC said, shipping a bike internationally in someone else's name may not go smoothly (eg is a signed qc ownership sufficient to allow registration in Europe? I would be surprised if it was). Good luck, let us know how it goes amd if there are any lessons we can benefit from.

Back
Top Bottom