Bought a track bike - What is the best dry/wet tire for a noob? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bought a track bike - What is the best dry/wet tire for a noob?

limitsreached

As the title states.

I sold my race car almost 2 years ago now, and while it has been nice instructing/driving students cars every now and then, the itch has never been fully scratched. Earlier this summer I seized the chance to take my SV650s on CTMP(Grandprix track) and I immediately got hooked. The much needed scratch for that itch had been found!!:D So, based on that incredible experience, I purchased an 05' GSXR600 track bike for a great deal recently and am in the works of going through the bike ahead of the FAST school held at SMP in September.

The only thing the bike needs is new rubber and I am trying to decide what is my best option as a newer rider. I want something that has great dry grip but also makes for a decent rain tire. As of right now, I have narrowed it down to the Pilot Power 3's from Michelin. Can anyone suggest a better tire. or should I pull the trigger on the 3's?

Thanks in advance!

oh, and pics for clicks.

Attachments

• Track bike.jpg
    Track bike.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 58
I use Q3+ on cbr1000rr on street and on track, no issues do far. Not the best for wet/rain but I don't ride in rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rented an R6 from Pro6 for track days at Calabogie on June 26 & July 31. Did 2 dry sessions and 1 session on a wet track (just after it stopped raining) on June 26 and 6 sessions in hot and dry on July 31. The bike had Q3s, and I had good feedback and control in both sets of conditions. I have Q3s on my street bike as well, so I'm used to how they react, but the track experience showed that I can push them much more than I would ever consider on the street.

I use Q3+ on cbr1000rr on street and on track, no issues do far. Not the best for wet/rain but I don't ride in rain.

I have Q3's on the SV and I agree.

I plan to ride in all conditions so I can have a complete skill set and not have to miss sessions or entire days. A good wet tire is necessary for me!

That's a loaded question really as you will get many opinions, from many people.

As others have mentioned. The Q3's seem to be a well rounded street / track tire for novice and intermediate pace.

I rented an R6 from Pro6 for track days at Calabogie on June 26 & July 31. Did 2 dry sessions and 1 session on a wet track (just after it stopped raining) on June 26 and 6 sessions in hot and dry on July 31. The bike had Q3s, and I had good feedback and control in both sets of conditions. I have Q3s on my street bike as well, so I'm used to how they react, but the track experience showed that I can push them much more than I would ever consider on the street.

I think I would find the same thing, in fact I guarantee that. I guess I am just looking for more confidence inspiring tires(if possible), and if I don't give up too much dry grip for that, why not do it. :)

That's a loaded question really as you will get many opinions, from many people.

As others have mentioned. The Q3's seem to be a well rounded street / track tire for novice and intermediate pace.

Very true based on the research I have been doing... As it stands, the PP3's sound like they are a superior tire in the wet, so the question is, how are they in the dry compared to the Q3? Maybe I am unnecessarily splitting hairs here.

if you are really planning on riding in any weather conditions, I would invest in a separate set of rain tires

Very true based on the research I have been doing... As it stands, the PP3's sound like they are a superior tire in the wet, so the question is, how are they in the dry compared to the Q3? Maybe I am unnecessarily splitting hairs here.

I used to have PP3s on my street bike before I switched to Q3s. I found the PP3s didn't give me good feedback in the last 1/4 of their life, where the Q3s were good right to the end (and a little cheaper).

if you are really planning on riding in any weather conditions, I would invest in a separate set of rain tires

That is the plan once I am ready to move up to slicks. For now a dual purpose tire should suit my needs. Having said that I can be swayed by those with more experience than myself.

haven't read any comments but Unicorns do not exist.
As the title states.

I sold my race car almost 2 years ago now, and while it has been nice instructing/driving students cars every now and then, the itch has never been fully scratched. Earlier this summer I seized the chance to take my SV650s on CTMP(Grandprix track) and I immediately got hooked. The much needed scratch for that itch had been found!!:D So, based on that incredible experience, I purchased an 05' GSXR600 track bike for a great deal recently and am in the works of going through the bike ahead of the FAST school held at SMP in September.

The only thing the bike needs is new rubber and I am trying to decide what is my best option as a newer rider. I want something that has great dry grip but also makes for a decent rain tire. As of right now, I have narrowed it down to the Pilot Power 3's from Michelin. Can anyone suggest a better tire. or should I pull the trigger on the 3's?

Thanks in advance!

oh, and pics for clicks.

Wasn't asking for a Unicorn, just a Horse.

A horse that can swim.

What is more expensive? to buy a separate set of rain tires or to repair a motorcycle after a crash.

Also, you are paying a lot of money for a track day / race day, do you really want to spend that money, wake up early, take the trip and setup so you can tipi toe around the track? to then up load and drive back home for a "meh" day

Just my non humble opinion.

Last edited:
A horse that can swim.

What is more expensive? to buy a separate set of rain tires or to repair a motorcycle after a crash.

Also, you are paying a lot of money for a track day / race day, do you really want to spend that money, wake up early, take the trip and setup so you can tipi toe around the track? to then up load and drive back home for a "meh" day

Just my non humble opinion.

That's real talk, and that's why I am asking. ;)

I guess my logic was that I won't be anywhere near the limit of a decent dual purpose tire so why buy an extra set of wheels for dedicated rains until I am ready. Like stated already, I plan on using slicks in the future and once that happens, I will no doubt have rains on separates wheels ready to go. Another point is, I will be taking part in the school and track conditions can change quickly, I will not have time to change tires before on track sessions. Even worse, if I get caught on a drying track with rains, I'll destroy them. If I buy some Q3s for $380 and use them at the school and a couple more days to end the season, I don't think that's too much of a waste of money.

Just some things to consider form my point of view. I do very much appreciate yours and I urge you not to hold back and give me more "real talk" if needed.

If you just want to cruise around on a street tire in the rain it will work. Mezteler m7rr for example. But when it dries you can still only cruise around. So even if you want to run street tires you still need dry and wet to get anything above cruising speed. And a horse can swim, but a dolphin is better.

If you just want to cruise around on a street tire in the rain it will work. Mezteler m7rr for example. But when it dries you can still only cruise around. So even if you want to run street tires you still need dry and wet to get anything above cruising speed. And a horse can swim, but a dolphin is better.

What do you consider cruising?? I've read about, and watched video's of people turning laps in what I would call, "quicker than cruising" pace. Understandable that you won't be putting in lap times anywhere near slicks or full wets but I wouldn't think it would be as you describe...interesting!

you know whats sucks worse than missing session / days due to rain?? loading your bike into the trailer in pieces while limping .......in the rain

when asking for a tire that is decent in the wet and the dry, you are going to end up with a tire that is not great at either

Last edited:
when asking for a tire that is decent in the wet and the dry, you are going to end up with a tire that is not great at either
That was my point about the unicorn comment. I get his point, he is knew, he doesn't want to invest and wants something to get him by.

My opinion from experience and If I would have to start from 0 tomorrow, I either run with Rain tires or don't run at all and shut it down once it starts raining. It would be a complete waste of time to be out there on street tires on a wet track. If i liked grass I would be a gardener :)

I have Q3's on my SV track bike right now. After this year they will be done and I'll be switching to RS-10's. The RS-10's will take a little longer to warm up but have more grip once they do. This is all based on conversations and research and is based on riding the track at the Grand Bend Motorplex.

Back
Top Bottom