Both coasts in one year...maybe.... one down ...one left. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Both coasts in one year...maybe.... one down ...one left.

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Been noodling a trip out east when I'm back in August. That would make both coasts ( not a chance for the third coast ...really not that interested anyways).

Last time was with my kid and really I'm enjoying solo rides more....figuring 10 days max and this time via the US on the way out or back. CB500x is solid on the slab at speed so most likely blitz past Montreal and New Brunswick with the wind then take it easy on the way home.

I would consider pairing up if anyone is interested as I have a SENA set that is sort of working ....likely needs some contact cleaner as one of them and we can't figure which just fades out then comes back with no pattern.

I don't camp but would consider sharing AirBnB as I did on the last two rides to PA and then Lake Placid. Input welcome.

I may be down for this MD
do you have dates in mind?
I also, am not big on bike camping
after a day on the scoot a proper bed is required

have done the Maritimes trip a few times
although I have a soft spot for la Belle Province
riding across it is not fun
I prefer the NY, VT, NH, MN route
crappy exchange rate notwithstanding

Okay let's discuss route etc until I get back ...I know accommodation is tight in July/August..

We could do something leaving August 12th and catch the Perseids if the weather cooperates

The sky was very dark here and it's lovely accommodations in Cranberry Lake area. Two bedrooms and full kitchen

Last edited:
Been noodling a trip out east when I'm back in August. That would make both coasts ( not a chance for the third coast ...really not that interested anyways).

Last time was with my kid and really I'm enjoying solo rides more....figuring 10 days max and this time via the US on the way out or back. CB500x is solid on the slab at speed so most likely blitz past Montreal and New Brunswick with the wind then take it easy on the way home.

I would consider pairing up if anyone is interested as I have a SENA set that is sort of working ....likely needs some contact cleaner as one of them and we can't figure which just fades out then comes back with no pattern.

I don't camp but would consider sharing AirBnB as I did on the last two rides to PA and then Lake Placid. Input welcome.

I definitely agree with you on the CB500X being a solid bike for touring, I really love mine.

I was reading about all your trip to the west coast on this bike while at the same time I was riding through PA to Skyline Drive and BRP.

Now you are in PA while I am riding back from my Newfoundland trip, again at the same time.

And now you are talking about an east coast trip? Maybe I should do the west coast at the same time to complete the cycle?

Hehe ....CB500Xs crisscrossing the continent ....what is your set up ....wind screen, seat, luggage?

I had Madstat screen on the front with the winglets. - was perfect.
I suspect the screen and winglets made the bike so stable at speed.

dqQ7OjI1SUtdBwCsup-TxbwUWp2R76Z6v2kim2YjaVatZ7KGXNG98JOL8tmWZ__vmSn3WzVJRH4hP_-vPsZMyQwAZ0IW0xlXUcJRKMdP3qS8-1GysglMzLkddC0e8jqUO0GeZMoCUtAF2moWRpD-C3ajtxuhSGFrJj4eGqzOE1cK8a5wgI4k_0lnN2K2-16I21d0M5V2EefxnxcsLutNBSRzAyCPBqxswIYMS0hoB7HxQeFVhMfU74kHW6GsfxcWlheYApHi2i7IE5ew-ZF6hwv7Lp54fcPKua-w1DY9E5B_IQ1LHs6RayABbFSr_nCAXcHxf4EB8IhofmCRp6LQHJDq93onjUGi-PNxkulr4v-gBA0Eo33aQl5KEHn55FgJsbZMUji2wqPs6PdTliME5UWYctJlu5-S8tqHHeX3p0GV_kOSrWUxHpo8G76Lj17D0-L7CRZ0DhfU91G8wwthALam-0jNn2y4FJkKPkNkhTgFrw1rqBB7k9okOdcg9b2uRWbonuajmFxmiDdweEki-GFko164OrbPXZAqwIZtbZ-nw51RAITvWDSxexkhKhQD73gSss2yxXrv4ZrIazR8q5l1ZzD_BQK3a3vM-73tWnHu9Hip3vqxFGeiW_rnaPL36kAxSj_Asce_ks_TSlJFTctFbkmk9QV4JC4AJWgvQHTaMchWvYp0pce-ACRlZDOfPGGvKcsxOCmUGKy0u_kmF4_tEQ=w1688-h1086-no

ram mount cupholder - very useful but had to keep an eye on the screw which liked to unwind on its own
ram mount phone with X mount - navigation with TomTom app and GMap when a network was available.
USB power supplied from a power pack in the tank bag.
Grip Buddies
Throttle lock
20/27 litre Nelson -Rigg tank bag ( just brilliant ..love it even tho it limits my turn circle a bit )
Shad 23 L top load side cases
expandible 20-25 litre pillion bag. Needed the extra space for layers...5c is bloody chilly.
Airhawk and Motoskivvies

For the shorter trips I skip the pillion bag.

Last edited:
Hehe ....CB500Xs crisscrossing the continent ....what is your set up ....wind screen, seat, luggage?

dqQ7OjI1SUtdBwCsup-TxbwUWp2R76Z6v2kim2YjaVatZ7KGXNG98JOL8tmWZ__vmSn3WzVJRH4hP_-vPsZMyQwAZ0IW0xlXUcJRKMdP3qS8-1GysglMzLkddC0e8jqUO0GeZMoCUtAF2moWRpD-C3ajtxuhSGFrJj4eGqzOE1cK8a5wgI4k_0lnN2K2-16I21d0M5V2EefxnxcsLutNBSRzAyCPBqxswIYMS0hoB7HxQeFVhMfU74kHW6GsfxcWlheYApHi2i7IE5ew-ZF6hwv7Lp54fcPKua-w1DY9E5B_IQ1LHs6RayABbFSr_nCAXcHxf4EB8IhofmCRp6LQHJDq93onjUGi-PNxkulr4v-gBA0Eo33aQl5KEHn55FgJsbZMUji2wqPs6PdTliME5UWYctJlu5-S8tqHHeX3p0GV_kOSrWUxHpo8G76Lj17D0-L7CRZ0DhfU91G8wwthALam-0jNn2y4FJkKPkNkhTgFrw1rqBB7k9okOdcg9b2uRWbonuajmFxmiDdweEki-GFko164OrbPXZAqwIZtbZ-nw51RAITvWDSxexkhKhQD73gSss2yxXrv4ZrIazR8q5l1ZzD_BQK3a3vM-73tWnHu9Hip3vqxFGeiW_rnaPL36kAxSj_Asce_ks_TSlJFTctFbkmk9QV4JC4AJWgvQHTaMchWvYp0pce-ACRlZDOfPGGvKcsxOCmUGKy0u_kmF4_tEQ=w1688-h1086-no

ram mount cupholder - very useful but had to keep an eye on the screw which liked to unwind on its own
ram mount phone with X mount - navigation with TomTom app and GMap when a network was available.
Grip Buddies
Throttle lock
20/27 litre Nelson -Rigg tank bag ( just brilliant ..love it even tho it limits my turn circle a bit )
expandible 20-25 litre pillion bag. Needed the extra space for layers...5c is bloody chilly.
Airhawk and Motoskivvies

IMG_1037.jpgIMG_1038.jpgIMG_1041.jpg

My 2013 bike is set up to ride off-road initially with TKC80 tires and I had them on for my Virginia trip, but I did add what is necessary for touring and just changed to Q3+ tires to try something different.

I think mine is set up perfectly for me, but I really want the 2019 with the 19” wheel. I might just end up with 2 CB500X’s in the near future.

I have this:

Barkbuster Handguards
SW Motech Skid Plate
SW Motech Center Stand
R&G Rad Guard(not installed yet)
Oxford Heated Grips
Kaoko Throttle Lock
Healtech Gear Indicator
Givi Engine Guard
Givi V35 Side Bags
Givi B33 or Kappa 46L Top Box
Pillion bag with 2 Rock Straps
2 tool tubes for 30 oz MSR Bottle and tools
Ram Mount Cup Holder
Zumo 660 GPS
12v and USB charger ports
Stock windshield and seat

From Rally Raid I have the following:

Scorpion Exhaust(heel hits stock exhaust when standing up)
Stainless Steel Footpegs(wider and no rubber to prevent slippage)
Windshield Spacer kit(moves windshield out so Barkbuster Handguards do not hit at full lock)
Shorty Adjustable Brake and Clutch Levers
Rear Brake Reservoir Guard

Grip Buddies
Throttle lock
Airhawk and Motoskivvies

I really wanted the Madstat for a really long time, but I had a bad experience with buffeting in the past and did not want to risk it due to the cost of the entire system. All the reviews are great and the adjustability is a great feature. Also, I do not want to crash off-road with that one.

I’ve dropped this bike 25 to 30 times and it has held up great, only had to replace the handlebars once which is $25.

I haven’t had the issue with the screw on the cup holder, but Loctite should do the trick.

My 12v and USB ports are direct to the battery, but I do have an Antigravity Booster/Battery Pack for emergency and charging.

I am still using the stock battery and the same 2 Sena SMH10 units since 2013.

Back
Top Bottom