Boring Bikes | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Boring Bikes

1980 CM400E. Just under 20 years of ownership but I did sell it and buy it back 3 times zero maintenance other than the cheapest chines tires I could buy and a chain. Finally gave it away to a kid for a school project. Still miss it crappie drum brakes and all.

None, zero. The closest I had was a nearly new Ninja 1000SX - it didn't have any *real* problems but the clutch was so noisy it sounded like it was broken (it wasn't). And the factory oil filter was on so tight it could only be removed destructively.

I can say this though - as a purveyor of the GTA's finest used motorcycles, a fair number of problems I experience are caused by people "improving" their bikes. And I think I've had like... two bikes ever that didn't come with toasted batteries. Hence my battery post in the tech section. Second most common problem is people re-using crush washers and ripping out the threads on the drain plug / cracking the oil pan.

Question for OP: have you ever had cause to remove the wheels from your Gold Wing?
Don't think I've replaced a crush washer on brakes or the oil pan. Never had a leak either.
I owned a GoldWing. Great for 2 up touring but in general a boring bike. Had wheels off both ends. Gotta remove some tupperware for the rear but pretty straight forward.

fz6, it was somewhat neglected sitting in a barn behind a dealership, after some wrenching and getting it back on the road, I realized it was fairly boring with no real world useable grunt, even more boring than my old honda cbr500r
I had an fz6 too. It did everything pretty well (but had a brick for a seat) but it was kind of boring. I got tired of waiting for it to spool up to 12k-14k rpms

Was reading into that a few days ago, and general consensus seemed trials bikes weren’t ideal due to the riding position for extended periods of time and no seat?

Thinking of something for the cottage to ride through Simcoe Forest trails or up near Algonquin near friends cottage. Will trailer it to either location.

Vintage trials bike would be "ok", They had passable seats and usually 4th+5th gear were wider ratio. Newer trials bike would be a PITA without an aftermarket seat attachment (most look hokey) or a factory range extender tank seat combo like Beta's.
15BEVO2504TS_540x359.jpg

For a up north trail bike you can't go wrong with a late 90s early 00s Honda XR200 or 250. Full size motorcycle, bulletproof, easy to ride, and will handle anything in the woods unless you try to push it past it's limitations in gnarly single track.
p1360553961977396.jpg

Don't think I've replaced a crush washer on brakes or the oil pan. Never had a leak either.
I owned a GoldWing. Great for 2 up touring but in general a boring bike. Had wheels off both ends. Gotta remove some tupperware for the rear but pretty straight forward.
I'm not starting this up again - I'm just saying, in these particular cases, the intended purpose of the crush washers may have prevented the damage that definitely did happen.

Was reading into that a few days ago, and general consensus seemed trials bikes weren’t ideal due to the riding position for extended periods of time and no seat?

Thinking of something for the cottage to ride through Simcoe Forest trails or up near Algonquin near friends cottage. Will trailer it to either location.
Trials bikes are not for cottage roads and trail riding in Simcoe County forest single track. They are specialized purpose built bikes.
Buy a used trail bike, or a small dual sport and go explore around the cottage.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

1987 Honda CBR600 Hurricane. It just did everything well, not great but well.

Attachments

• Hurricane_1.jpg
    Hurricane_1.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 10
250 ninja got boring fast. Ontario is flat and straight. In another place maybe I would have loved it longer.

My ER6-n wasn't a boring bike but as I gained confidence it became boring trying to stay only a reasonable amount over the posted limit. So I got my KLX to have some fun off road. The KLX was constantly having issues to the point I probably rode it for only about 2 hrs and spent in the ballpark of 20 working on it and then had a shop reapair/safety it for more then it cost to buy. not boring but I wouldn't call it fun.

Back
Top Bottom