Bored and thinking of a new bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bored and thinking of a new bike

Clutt-225

So here’s the thing.
I’ve had a Chopper (very prettyto look at. horrible riding machine)
I’ve had a Harley touring bike (loved it but wanted more action)
Currently have KTM 1190 Adventure (love it)
Considering KTM 790 Duke

I have an MT09 in my garage that belongs to a riding buddy. It looks so bad ass sitting there that I’m wanting a naked bike. I have logged about 1000km test ride last summer on the Yamaha. I’m happy with the Ktm brand and I like the look of the Duke bikes.
Cost would keep me off the 1290 super duke R but I could most definitely do the 790 Duke.
1 concern would be lack of luggage.
2 concern lack of torque (compared to my 1190)
3 fuel capacity (I hate stopping for fuel) smaller engine may use less and have the same range?
4) concern, comfortable on long days in the saddle? 4 to 600km

Pros
1) more nimble and flickable fun to ride
2) faster smaller bike, just more fun
3) cool factor (yes I know I’m 43 I should be over that but I’m not)
4) I could buy bags and would before ever using a back pack.

What’s your opinion? Keep the 1190 and just keep enjoying the jack of all trades or go for the Duke?

Why limit yourself to a KTM? The sub 1000cc category is full of awesome nakeds.

What’s your opinion? Keep the 1190 and just keep enjoying the jack of all trades or go for the Duke?
Keep the 1190 for all the reasons you bought it in the first place and buy a dirt bike,
everything else you listed is just another machine that rides on pavement, is like apples to apples. For a rider as yourself a dirt bike would be a new bike experience.

:D looks like another nice day for riding!

Why limit yourself to a KTM? The sub 1000cc category is full of awesome nakeds.

Not limiting to KTM I just like the Duke. I would consider an MT09
I don’t like the look of the other Japanese naked bikes or the triumph and Ducati street fighter would be $$$$. Don’t like the Monster.

So ya either a 790 Duke, MT09, or shake the hell out of the money tree and go super duke.

Keep the 1190 for all the reasons you bought it in the first place and buy a dirt bike,
everything else you listed is just another machine that rides on pavement, is like apples to apples. For a rider as yourself a dirt bike would be a new bike experience.

:D looks like another nice day for riding!
This mans got a point but the wife will **** a brick if I get another hobby.
All ready have mountain bike x3, toy car and the ktm
I can trade all I want but no more toys. ?

Plus dirt bikes arent street legal so...every time you go out...better have a truck...or rental/trailer handy

(y) Trade 1 mountain bike in on 1 dirt bike, tell the wife it is part of your retirement plan, you can never have too many hobbies once you retire.

639032665_tPd84-L.jpg

Based on your historical choices it looks like style has trumped function. Go to the wither bike show, find the bike that has the look / appeal that gives you the most wood then trade the KTM.

If you drop in CCs you're going to lose torque -- that's an issue for a novice, not so much for an experienced rider. Unless you're riding mountains with knee draggers you're not getting left behind on the street while riding a 790 -- or anything in the 600+ class.

If you drop in CCs you're going to lose torque -- that's an issue for a novice, not so much for an experienced rider. Unless you're riding mountains with knee draggers you're not getting left behind on the street while riding a 790 -- or anything in the 600+ class.

Agreed, but even though you may not NEED the extra torque, it sure as hell is fun to have.

How about the option of adding the new bike and deciding which to keep after living with both for a while? Maybe the wife won't object if it's agreed to be temporary. And then maybe she'll eventually forget...

Depending on how much **** you might lose, perhaps consider getting rid of the wife?

Based on your historical choices it looks like style has trumped function. Go to the wither bike show, find the bike that has the look / appeal that gives you the most wood then trade the KTM.

Actually you may think that but you would be wrong. Usually it has been price that dictates the bike I buy at any given time.
You see I’m big fan of all things wheeled. I had never owned a street bike and thought probably not good to start out on anything to fast and rowdy.
A friend of the family had this Chopper for sale for pennies on the dollar. He just wanted it gone. I enjoyed it and didn’t loose money on it. I then realized I like to ride the bike. My father owned a Harley and rode with others who owned Harley. You can say they are over priced all you want but people pay it and they hold their value remarkably well.
I bought my Road Glide used with an extended unlimited km warranty.
Rode 30,000km over 3 years and made $2000 when I traded it in.
A dealer gave me $8000 for an 06 Road Glide with 103,000km
My Ktm was a pretty good deal and came with lots of farkle and like new condition, low km. I would loose a bit but not to much if I decided to deal it and move on.
The ktm is all about function surely not style no adv bike is about style. They are ugly.
Or was that intended on being a jab because I didn’t buy Japanese for the lowest bang for buck ratio it must be about style?

The ktm is all about function surely not style no adv bike is about style. They are ugly.
Or was that intended on being a jab because I didn’t buy Japanese for the lowest bang for buck ratio it must be about style...
No not a jab. I'm a big believer that if your bike makes you happy, then it's the right bike for you. Based on the string of bikes you owned I and your comment about 'bad ass looks suggested "style/cache/uniqueness" are key buying factors. I get your argument on price -- unless they are collectible unique bikes are often nicely priced when resold.

My main point is buy a bike that makes YOU happy. If coffee runs and polishing chrome is your thing -- there's a bike for that. If the noise of 14000RMP running across Finch avenue is your thing -- there's a bike for that. If you carry a riding partner and 500lbs of gear across terrain -- there's a bike for that. There are so many bike types that everyone can be happy!

... If you carry a riding partner and 500lbs of gear across terrain -- there's a bike for that. ...
and it's not a KTM, the frames can't take that.

All good
I think the problem is my financial situation doesn’t allow me to have all of them so I have to go one at a time. Have that problem with all toys.
The KTM is great fun and I love the Swiss Army knife aspect. But that MT09 was so much fun last summer.

Think I just need to get out for a ride.

I packed in the riding season way to early this year. I thought I was done and now I’m itching already.

Was thinking more along the lines of this:

IMG_7628.jpg.d2f49b8c11c36bf429bda2e8a564f1ba.jpg

or this:
D64bFSRUIAA4A1h.jpg.4d3c1c496dcc0cbb03b0b08ae1960cc2.jpg

or this:
D64bEJLU8AAWqPM.jpg.f04b6c145f64340be0f57972fac5fd04.jpg

or this:
IMG_7626.jpg.ab5377993b11736635382f9a9bf927a5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom